USAF 37th Aviation Depot Squadron

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 01:37 pm
I was stationed at Walker AFB, New Mexico in the late fifties for 18 months before my discharge in 1959.
I'm just wondering if anyone served there or in Ben Guerir AFB in Morocco where I served for one year. My OJT base was Travis AFB on California.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,041 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 01:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
OJT for your specialty!? You have no idea how reassuring this is to me.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 02:31 pm
@roger,
Don't worry: We worked with nukes to load on B36s, B47s and B52s. Also, there are so many safety features to them, it's impossible to have an accidental implosion. When I earned my E4 grade (in 18 months), I was team leader. The squadron commander at Walker AFB promised me another stripe if I reupted, but one of the happiest day of my life was when I bussed out of the base for the very last time. I wouldn't have stayed in the air force even if he promised me two more stripes!
I just picked up two t-shirts with the patch I designed while stationed at Walker AFB on it. Let me know what you think.
You can find the patch at ericsusafpatches.nl.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 02:36 pm
@roger,
You can find it here: http://www.ericsusafpatches.nl/supporting%20units/squadrons-flights/squadrons-flights%201_50.htm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 03:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Looks okay. I've always enjoyed the pseudo legends that accompany some of the army patches. Like 1st Cav's. The horse head represents the horse you never rode, the diagonal stripe stands for the line you couldn't hold, and of course, they yellow field speaks for itself.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 02:36 pm
@roger,
Just read that the 509th Composite Group was relocated to Roswell Air Field on November 6, 1945, three months after they dropped the bomb in Japan.
Roswell Air Field was renamed to Walker AFB in 1943, and closed in 1967. I was stationed at Walker AFB in the late fifties for about 18 months until February 1959 when I got my discharge.
From warbirdsnews.com:
Quote:
Then on March 1, 1946, the 509th Bombardment Group was assigned to the Strategic Air Command (SAC), being one of the first of eleven organizations assigned to SAC. At the time of the formation of SAC, the 509th Composite Group was the only unit that had experience in deploying nuclear weapons.
0 Replies