WHAT'S IT LIKE LIVING IN RUSSIA TODAY?

Glorius

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:00 am
Thank's to all!
Population of SPb is about 4,5 mln people. 10 years it was 5 mln, but nevertheless it's still the fifth biggest city in Europe. The average pay is $350-400. About 50% of the city-dwellers use cell phones and pay for it $10-20 a month. Housekeeping takes $50 for family... Weather is not important, i think...
I worked as a web-developer ago, and we have made english-language site about Saint-Petersburg. You can check it - www.petersburgcity.com.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 11:23 am
Glorius, I did a quick peek at your link, and came out very impressed with all the information you provide on your great city. I will return again and again to view it. Thank you for sharing it with us on A2K. c.i.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:03 pm
Quote:
Russian Jury Acquits Physicist of Spy Charges

MOSCOW, Dec. 29 — In an unusual setback for Russia's security services, a jury today acquitted a physicist who had been charged with espionage for selling information to China that he and other scientists argued was not classified. [..]

The case was one of a series of espionage cases against scientists that have raised fears of a crackdown by the successor agency to the K.G.B. on poorly paid scientists who had turned in the post-Soviet period to commercial ventures abroad.

"There is a trend to arrest scientists and accuse them of spying without any foundation," Lyudmila Alexeyeva, head of the Moscow Helsinki Group, a human rights organization, said in July.

Human rights groups, and Mr. Danilov himself, attributed the acquittal to the fact this was a rare jury trial, rather than a trial before judges who could be susceptible to state pressure. [..]

Jury trials have been held on an experimental basis over the past decade in only 9 of Russia's 89 regions. They are to be introduced throughout the country by 2007.

"The not-guilty verdict was largely thanks to a jury," Mr. Danilov told the radio station Ekho Moskvy. "When it was only a judge, it was difficult for him to reach such a verdict. There are very few judges who can make such brave decisions." [..]

Critics have claimed that the Federal Security Service, the successor to the K.G.B., has been asserting itself under the presidency of Vladimir V. Putin, who once headed the K.G.B.

Since he was elected four years ago, a number of scientists have been arrested and a number have been convicted on similar charges. [..]

In another high-profile case that is being heard by a jury, the espionage trial of Igor Sutyagin, 38, an arms control scholar, is moving slowly in a Moscow court. The trial opened last month but has been repeatedly postponed.

Mr. Sutyagin, an analyst for the Institute of United States and Canada Studies, is accused of espionage for selling freelance analyses of unclassified Russian military data to a London company that prosecutors call a front for Western intelligence.

Like Mr. Danilov, he has argued that the material he sold was available from public sources. He has been in prison for four years.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:53 pm
Up to the latest reports from the weather channel on line say this is what's it like to live in Russia RIGHT NOW. :wink:

34°F
Cloudy Feels Like
24°F

UV Index: 0 Minimal
Dew Point: 28°F
Humidity: 81%
Visibility: Unlimited
Pressure: 30.09 inches and steady
Wind: From the South Southwest at 13 mph
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:21 pm
BPB, Russia is a big country. Where is that weather report supposed to represent?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:23 pm
Moscow....I can go get St.Petersburg if you like......
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:57 pm
BPB, Thanks, but not necessary. Didn't realize Moscow would be so mild this time of year.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:14 am
Quote:
[Wesley] Clark strongly criticized President Vladimir Putin, saying that under his leadership Russia was "not a democracy" and "not our ally."

"This administration has tried to cozy up to Vladimir Putin," Clark said in New Hampshire. "He may wear a crucifix around his neck, but I promise you he is not a Christian. He is not a person who shares American values. He is a person born and brought up in the KGB. He wants to re-establish greater Russia."
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 10:29 pm
Has Putin responded?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 09:22 pm
<smiles>

Doubt it ... why would/should he? Clark's just one of nine (err, eight, seven, how many is it now?) contenders to take part in an election still to come ... I'm sure he shrugged it off and made a note about it in case it becomes relevant again ... <grins>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 07:24 am
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:39 pm
Just to let ya'll know I pop in to read..... Very Happy
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:10 pm
I did service in a russian hospital in a little town near st petersburg. The place was absolutly filthy. I wheeled a stab victim up to surgery, and the nurses simply threw a dirty blanket over his half naked body, before we took him up. And I mean a DIRTY blanket. Stray dogs were allowed to walk in from the streets and roam around. No nurses or doctors seemed to think that was weird. The doctor that I was helping complained because she was the head doctor and made as much as the janitor of a nearby building. What a crazy place.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 09:25 pm
SC, can you put a date on that experience?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 09:26 pm
About two years ago.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:36 pm
SCoates, I observed something similar when I visited China back in the early nineties. The door to the hospital/clinic were kept wide open for the dust to get inside, and they kept the doors of exam rooms open for all to see. They offered to give us acupuncture treatment for whatever ailed us, but everybody in our tour group declined their offer. With the sanitation conditions of hospitals in the US, we still have a large number of people dying from exposure to disease in the hospitals. yuk!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 11:28 am
SC, you intrique me. I like to know a bit about the writers who post. It provides the rest of us with some insight into their perceptions, etc. By doing service, does that imply you are a Russian citizen? What parts of Russia have you been able to explore or claim as home?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 04:14 pm
I live in Kaliningrad for one year, and St petersburg and it's surrounding areas for another year. A lot of that was in the city Pushkin, which is a quaint little place. No I'm american. I went there strictly for the sake of doing service. Oh, I was also in Moscow for a couple days, just sightseeing.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 07:05 pm
Mmmmm...how about listing some of your impressions and thoughts about Russia and it's people? If you are uncomfortable in any negative comments, then I certainly would appreciate your feel good feelings or general observations...in fact, objective descriptions would be a good beginning.
0 Replies

Dimas

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:06 pm
Hi, interesting discussion.

I have a site that is a travel guide to Russia and we are now working on an interesting project - getting questions from our visitors that they would like to ask to Russian people, and then walking around the city (Moscow) and asking these questions. Gives quite a good idea of what life in Russia is like... If you're interested, see http://waytorussia.net/Features/RussianPeople.html

You can also send me the question you would like to ask, and I'll do it for you. Smile
0 Replies