WHAT'S IT LIKE LIVING IN RUSSIA TODAY?

Docent P

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:59 am
>When I visited Russia a few years ago, we were informed that most professoinals such as doctors, lawyers, and college professors made about US$100/month.

Yes, I can confirm. This is a common salary in the country excepting Moscow and Leningrad.

>Is there difference in pay for different skills in Russia? Somebody said that everybody's average pay was $100/month no matter what they did. Is that true?

Yes, that true. Salary doesn't depend on your job - although unskilled loaders and scrubwomen usually has one a little higher (just for unsufficient money - for a couple of $) than an engineer because of their unpleasant work.

Usually salary varies VERY MUCH depending on your social status. Someone (so called "blatnoy" or "privilieged" in Russian) whose father is a former party secretary or todays official or prosecutor or FSBist or another influensive person may have income 10, 20 or 50 times more than an employee doing absolutely the same job at the same company. Usually these blatnye takes very warm places of economists - not because they like economy so much but because it's the easiest thing to study - just a 2-6 month course (but don't try to work as an economist if you have no good relations, in that case you will remain unemployed). My factory's director has for example 70 time bigger salary than a worker. Besides that he has a free resort (paid by the company), two free cars with drivers, free apartment and some other little pleasures. All the factory HQ is overcrowded by his far and close relatives who have almost so big income.

But even these scums' income is absolutely uncomparable with the ones of our today government officials. Once I read that the mayor of a provincial town has a MONTH salary equal to the YEAR local hospital budget. In other words his salary would be enough to keep 12 hospitals with about 100 doctor and nurse staff in each. What American mayor can boast about such a salary? As about Moscowian officials here I can't even guess. My fantasy is too short.

>What are the average pay of Russian's today?

Usually mentioned numbers vary from 200 to 300$. A usual worker or engineer has 100$ income while the average number is given with consideration of the New Russians' income.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:25 pm
Just wanted to refer to another thread that was opened, on the Reporters Without Borders survey of press freedom: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14195

This from there:

nimh wrote:
One result I'd highlight, considering the extent to which Putin still seems to be widely thought of as a promising democrat (not to mention the trust just looking into his eyes inspires):

Russia ranks 148th - even below Mugabe's beating-journalists-up regime in Zimbabwe, below Sudan, Somalia, Singapore, Yemen - and Iraq under US occupation. It does hardly better than the neo-communist dictatorship of Byelorussia's Lukashenka. Wake-up call anyone?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:51 pm
nimh, That's interesting information, considering the fact that when I visited Russia several years ago, our boat had a professional journalist on board who provided us with four lectures on the history and current Russia. She spoke openly about the current corrupt government and gangsters in Russia. I hope she's still alive.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 06:12 pm
Oh, alive, probably still ... but probably not allowed to write what she'd want to anymore!

Although corruption, of course, is the trickiest issue - a number of journalists have been killed, but by the mafia rather than by the state (in as far as those can be considered separate).
0 Replies

Anathema

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 03:50 am
This has been a most informative topic. Thanks to everyone who posted. A lot of my questions were answered here.
Ever since I was a little boy I've been fascinated with Russia. My parents told me Russia was communist so it was bad, but when the news would show something from Moscow, I'd see the Kremlin and everything else and I would be captivated. I hope to see Russia with my own eyes one day.
Hey Docent P: What kind of treatment could a wheelchair user such as myself expect in Russia?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 04:00 am
Anathema wrote:
This has been a most informative topic. Thanks to everyone who posted. A lot of my questions were answered here.
Ever since I was a little boy I've been fascinated with Russia. My parents told me Russia was communist so it was bad, but when the news would show something from Moscow, I'd see the Kremlin and everything else and I would be captivated. I hope to see Russia with my own eyes one day.
Hey Docent P: What kind of treatment could a wheelchair user such as myself expect in Russia?

Obviously, Russia is not now the communist country it once was, so I don't know how relevant the information I'm about to imart may be at this time. But in 1980, when the Moscow had the Olympics, they apparently refused to stage the special Olympics, because they quote "did not have disabled people". May need to be kept in mind.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:36 am
Anathema, First of all, WELCOME to A2K. Russia is not handicap friendly, and anybody with a wheelchair would be hard pressed to tour most places - even in the big cities. ** Our friend invited us to her house for thanksgiving, and the other guests were three generations of Russians and a man from San Francisco who once owned a Japanese restaurant in Oakland. The grandfather was a officer in the Russian navy, and he worked on nuclear submarines. He told us some interesting stories about how they were ordered to go down 300 meters into the water, and the skin of the submarine groaned from the high pressure. The son-in-law and daughter are both engineers; the guy works for eBay, and the daughter designs computer boards. Their son is now going to high school, and wants to attend Harvard. Their other son is now in Los Angeles, and is engaged to a Chinese girl. The restaurant owner didn't talk much, but when he spoke, it was about 80 percent Japanese. As usual, our hostess made enough food to feed an army, and she insisted we take home some food. It was a very interesting evening - a nice way to spend a thanksgiving. The Russian family really loves the US.
0 Replies

Anathema

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:11 pm
Thanks Wilso and c.i.
While your info is a little disappointing I won't give up hope. As time progresses perhaps so will attitudes in Russia.

Hey c.i. that sounds like a great way to spend Thanksgiving! Next year I'm coming to your house.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:07 am
I posted this article as a new thread:

RUSSIAN OPPOSITION PARTY WILL BOYCOTT NEW ELECTIONS

I also included some background information about the context of the article.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:32 am
Anathema, You are certainly welcome to come to our home for Thanksgiving dinner - even if we plan to eat out at a restaurant. Wink
0 Replies

Anathema

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 12:39 pm
Thanks cicerone imposter! And don't worry about not being there, it makes it easier to go through your stuff!
0 Replies

Glorius

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 10:23 am
Special for nimh.

Visit exile.ru for the most politcal incorrect information about Russia and the extra world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 11:16 am
Glorius, WELCOME to A2K. So, where did you "hatch" from?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 12:18 pm
Hey Glorius, thanks for the link. Thats an odd assortment of articles there, ranging from the intriguing to the quixotic.

Some of it is quite funny: "Asya Bulkina, 29: [..] I would like to say that I had no hesitation in voting for the United Russia Party. They performed well in the debates, and I should add that my director threatened to fire me and revoke my propusk if I didn’t."

And some of it is spot-on: "placing our bets with profoundly immoral, incompetent, and arrogant politicians whose only claim to fame was that they were for sale and we bought them does not work and does not serve western interests."

All of it seems pretty dilettantist - the bizarre goes right along with the observant. I mean, not Limonov again! But I guess amateur outsiders and weird fringe figures is what the underground is all about, huh? Meanwhile, that was an enjoyable read, thanks ;-)
0 Replies

Glorius

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 03:01 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Glorius, WELCOME to A2K. So, where did you "hatch" from?

I was hatched in my office in the snowy city (:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 10:39 am
of?
0 Replies

Glorius

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 09:39 am
I am from the snowy city of Saint-Petersburg.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:53 am
Glorius, St Petersburg is a such lovely city with so much history. If I remember correctly, much of the architecture of St Petersburg were Italian designed. Many people do not know, but St Petersburg is a city of canals. Most people visit the Peter and Paul Fortress, Catherine's Palace, and the Hermitage, but not much else. During our three day visit, I was able to attend a ballet at the Marinsky Theater where Tchaikovsky often performed, and he is one of my favorite composers. It was a great treat. When we got out of the theater about ten PM, it was still daylight. If I remember correctly, I paid about US$65 for my ticket, while the Russians paid about $10. Wink
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 06:11 pm
Hey Glorius, welcome again to A2K. Hope you'll stay - we haven't had many Russians here. "Docent P" posted here for a long time, but apart from Steissd, who now lives in Israel, I cant think of anyone else from Russia here. Which is a great pity. Cool that you're from Piter, too. I studied there once, for a month ...
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 09:39 pm
Welcome Glorius...You and Docent P. are our observers "on the ground." Please describe your present location, weather, urban setting, etc?
0 Replies