Trying to set more realistic expectations for able2know

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 03:49 am
One of the community dynamics that I'd like to improve is that there are often unrealistic expectations about the resources that this community has to work with. That makes people unhappy with what they see as recalcitrant administration when in reality we are just hampered by severe constraints on our resources.

Almost every bit of discontent with the state of the technology or community management (other than fundamental differences of opinion on approach and philosophy for a community) is ascribable to the simple fact that a2k is an enormous undertaking being done by people largely volunteering our time as A2K is more of a cost center than a profit center. Sure, we could do a whole lot better but that means having more resources (time and money) when this has been, so far, a costly hobby. And because we are a small startup that makes our money from other products (like a nursing job board) if we make bad choices in our resource allocation and what we work on sometimes we don't get to take home a paycheck for that month (anyone who has started a business knows how brutal it can be).

The technological projects are daunting. Writing this version of a2k took me blowing all my savings multiple times to be able to have us spend 6-12 months working full time on this project before we could get it out the door. Just finishing the monumental task of writing a forum from scratch is enough of a challenge. We didn't always do that and a few of the attempts were lost because we couldn't progress fast enough to get it out the door (being agile in they key to starting a successful tech product).

So we are facing another rewrite and are going to have to make tough sacrifices. One of the main ones is the very important question of what we say no to. Like not improving this version while working on the next version because just finishing the next version is daunting enough without trying to do the work twice (any improvements on this version is just going to have to be rewritten in months anyway for the next version).

And when it comes to the community management and vitality we are also limited by how many people are willing to volunteer to help the community.

So if you want to make this place better please be patient with us on the tech front, and if anyone is wiling to help out with community management this is a tough job that we can always use more people with (contact us if you are interested in helping out).

We have very big ambitious plans for the next platform and will want as much of the community's support to try to make this a much more vibrant community. If you want to help out in any way let us know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 2,667 • Replies: 28

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 04:06 am
@Robert Gentel,
Ok. ; )
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 04:22 am
@dlowan,
So you are volunteering to moderate! Nice, go out back there is a bunch of spam to help with right now!

;-)

Edit: was joshing ya but if you are willing to help (with any level of commitment) then we'd welcome it. Lots of spam comes in in your daytime hours.
dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
Sadly, my daytime hours tend to be all filled up with work and driving to and from. In between, I strive for a modest social and political and cultural life. And cat wrangle.

But I'll think on it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 07:18 am
To add to this - it helps tremendously when spam is reported. Not voted down, not answered, not tagged 'spamalamadingdong' (yes, people do this, and it is just annoying to us and it wasn't funny the first 500 times we saw it).

See it? Hit Report.

See something that might be spam, but you're unsure? Smack that Report button.

We appreciate your help - a LOT - and Reporting gets it to rise to the top for us. Tagging, voting down, and answering it just buries it and make our job all the harder.

Thank you! Smile
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 08:14 am
@jespah,
Good point re playing with spam or even tagging it.

Re helping with spam - my old iMac crashed three times in the last ten days, last night's crash making me think It's Over Now, with the screen zooming down fast and large trumpety noises going off like gangbusters (I shut it down fast) and I was surprised I could get it to work this morning -- so I'm not one to count on.

But, I'll try to improve my reporting. Sometimes if I see it has a few views already, I'll figure someone already reported, but now, if I see it, I'll report.

Anyway, I'm patient. I love this place, need this place, and I know I will like the next version.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 08:54 am
@jespah,
Well, I'm afraid that I'm guilty of answering advertisers in a way that makes light of their offers. Knowing nothing about computer stuff, I had no idea about the grief I have caused. So, if you would allow me to apologize right here and now, I am sorry for there and then.

On a somewhat related matter, I could possibly see myself as a moderator. However, I would need to know if it would be necessary to for me to be trained in the proper use of a Ban-Stick. I don't think it would be necessary, as I am very creative. In the event that someone displays a blatant disregard for the rules, I know how to deal with it. My methods would be . . . unorthodox, but highly effective.

For instance, if somebody screws up, I would immediately force everyone but the offending poster to evacuate the thread. Then I lock the thread with just me and them in it. That's when I pull out my Ban-Stick and bang it a couple of times against the thread wall just for effect. Once I have their attention, they'll try to hide, but because a spammer is usually the only one in the thread they've started, there's really no place for them to hide.

That's when the fun--er--moderation begins. Using my Ban-Stick, I take them to the point of being banned, and then let up. Then I wait. And just when their little spamming fingers are in position above their keyboard ready to strike again, I use my Ban-Stick to once again take them to the point of being banned, but let up just before they're completely banned. And we can do that allllllll night! Once I've completely banned them, they will not come back, I assure you. If they do, I would be the most surprised.
jespah

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 09:17 am
@Glennn,
Thank you.

As for the remainder of it, new Mods don't get suspension capabilities at once. They generally start off pulling spam and tagging topics. Send me a PM if you would like more information. Thank you for your interest!
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 11:02 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
My methods would be . . . unorthodox, but highly effective.
Oh great, That's just what the **** we need...
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 11:49 am
Actually, I have no real complaints about the current A2k.
Maybe just add the ability to paste pictures directly on a post rather than link images. Still find that awkward.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 01:21 pm
@jespah,
I was a serious spam reporter until I read Malformed Posts. Apparently, I don't understand, cause now I dunno whattado.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 01:26 pm
@neologist,
malformed topics have no content beyond the thread title

( ask me how I learned Evil or Very Mad Embarrassed Evil or Very Mad )
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 01:30 pm
When I think a post is a spam, i report it. I hope that helps.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 01:40 pm
@neologist,
Just don't touch those. The others? Report away, s'il vous plait.

PS Thanks @cicerone imposter. Smile
neologist

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 01:46 pm
@jespah,
Oops!
Mea gulpa
jespah

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 02:04 pm
@neologist,
You're a big gulp? Wink

PS Thank you in advance.

Also - I mean it - anyone with questions, send me a PM! I may need a little while to get back to you but I will attempt to answer you if you're wondering about taking the plunge and I won't mention the branding iron ceremony Wink
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 02:16 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

Damn right! And when I'm elected, you will know the wrath of the goderator, I promise you. And in case you're wondering, yes, I will be called a god for short.
dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 09:06 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

Damn right! And when I'm elected, you will know the wrath of the goderator, I promise you. And in case you're wondering, yes, I will be called a god for short.

Psssssttttt.....GLENN....you'll never make moderator if you keep telling the truth like that!
Glennn

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 09:18 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:

Psssssttttt.....GLENN....you'll never make moderator if you keep telling the truth like that!

Well, I was just joking, really. Everyone knows I was joking. And if they don't, then when I finally make goderator, they're gonna find themselves at the business end of a Ban-Stick, and when I'm done with . . . DOH!

I have a problem . . .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 10:35 pm
@dlowan,
So moderating is similar to politicking?