Has anyone in North America or Europe traced their ancestry?

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 11:29 am
@ehBeth,
Brilliant!
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 11:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
25 kilometres?

That's about 3mm a year, isn't it? You're worse than us Brits.

There's obviously a good 1000 year old pub nearby, no doubt.

My lot probably escaped Wales when Edward was doing his ethnic cleansing.......or were brought back to London as prisoners/peasant work fodder.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 11:45 am
@Lordyaswas,
It really is. hamburgboy has been making sense of conversations he overheard 80 years ago based on things I've been learning by way of my involvement with roma dance and the local roma community. the evidence suggests his older brother knew more about the family history - and that a lot was covered up to protect people during the second world war.

the result of the mapping link is very helpful
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 11:49 am
@saab,
My family came from Hiroshima, so I wrote to the city office to get our family history. Actually, my brother's friend from Japan wrote the letter for us, and translated over 90% of the calligraphy used during that period. It was 100% Chinese characters, so most Japanese can't translate it. I made a family tree from that information, and shared that information with other family members including some cousins.
jespah

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 11:52 am
We've gone more wide than tall, if that makes sense. E. g. I know some of my relatives who are third cousins to each other (same great-great-grandparent). A lot of us are on Ancestry.com - a cousin and I spend time updating it when we can or when there's been some sort of a change. That reminds me there is at least one new baby to add. That's on my mother's side.

My father's side is smaller and I don't really have a partner to help me with all of it so there are more gaps. There is a chance I am distantly related to a guy I went to law school with, which is really strange when you think about it. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 11:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
Just as an aside, when my wife and I visited Japan in the early eighties, we met some of my relatives who still lived at the same address, but unfortunately our Japanese was not sufficient to communicate about our family history.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 12:14 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
25 kilometres?

That's about 3mm a year, isn't it? You're worse than us Brits.

Not really, at least not until the farm was sold in the 18th century, since the family name was 'attached' to the farm and place.
Thus, if there wasn't wasn't a male heir, the fure husband of the eldest girl had to take, loosing his own family name (happened twice).

And if there were more than one male child - they either married on another farm ... or died nobly for the bishop (1650) ...

http://i68.tinypic.com/359l1l4.jpg

George

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 12:34 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I plugged my name into the site. Stantons seem to be all over the map, but
the highest concentration is a town called Milton Keynes. Stantons have
overrun the place. There's a Stanton School, a Stantonbury area, Stanton Ave. . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 12:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
This is, btw, the document from 1287:
http://i68.tinypic.com/2exn5t2.jpg

Most interesting the two seals (and "no", I didn't pinch the missing third!)
http://i68.tinypic.com/dmwdfq.jpghttp://i66.tinypic.com/33ynsx0.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 12:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Shouldn't those be in a museum? I gave our mother's concentration camp badge with her picture on it to the Japanese-American museum in Los Angeles.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 12:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
They are in the Westphalian State Archive (I just got the scans on dvd)
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 01:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Good on ya. That's the right thing to do for retain some history.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 02:50 pm
I subscribed to ancestry.com.

On my father's side I got as far as my great-grandparents who came from
Ireland and Nova Scotia. But that's where the trail ran cold.

On my mother's side I got back to my great-grandparents and again only got
as far as census records listing their place of birth as Ireland. The exception
was my maternal grandmother's line. She came from Newfoundland and I'm
still searching church records from there.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 02:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
One of my ancestors was a serf i Greifswald - now Germany. At that time it belonged to Sweden where serfs were illigal. As far as I have heard. One winter when the water frooze he walked to Lolland Denmark. We do not where he left from but looking at a map Prerow must have been the shortest stretch about 35 - 40 kilometers.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 05:49 pm
@saab,
How long ago was that?
momoends

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 12:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
no need to.. my surname is De Soto, guess its familiar in the usa
saab

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 12:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
Sorry I said he walked to Lolland - it was Langeland and it was 1790
I do not know from which point he left but it must have been around 100 - 200
kilometers to walk.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 01:41 am
@saab,
Between 1780 and 1789, the Baltic Sea was totally covered with ice during the (longer than today) winter periods, even pubs were 'built' on it for walkers and carriages. - There had been 'regular traffic' over the ice between German countries and Denmark during that period.
momoends

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 02:21 am
@momoends,
i mean the farther i went it´s Hernando De Soto, crossed the ocean, got to south america, went all way till missisipi and died there. But considering my father is redhaired and the over the average height of that part of my family i´ll go an search for nordic ancestors. My mother family comes from the south and she could have arab ancestors, she´s got that olive soft skin and green eyes
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 02:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You always have such good information about things.
I imagend a loon figure walking all by himself all that way - so it was not at all so lonesome and scary as I thought.