1992 Pontiac Grand Am heater/AC problem

jpc6759

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 08:08 am
I have a 2 door 1992 grand am se with the six cylinder and auto trans. I developed a problem where the tempature for the heater, vent, or AC is the same. I took some of the dash apart and all the vacuum lines apear to be working. The cable to the tempature control is moving. But no matter what temp setting I put the control to the temp stays at the constant temp as if it was set to the center temp. (not cold or warm). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,143 • Replies: 1
No top replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:17 pm
Could be several things. First of all, if its not getting cold, the A/C needs to be serviced. It can fail all at once like that for several reasons. The no heat issue is probably a clogged heater core. Take the hoses off and blow air from your lungs and gentle water from a hose backward through the heater core to get the gunk out. Its a pretty common failure on GM cars.

The other thing that could be causing the no heat is a broken flap inside the unit. You said the cable was working properly, but its possible that the flap that selects inside the box is broken.

One more thing. Most (but not all) late model GM vehicles have a valve inline with the heater hoses that blocks hot water in the core until you move the selector over to hot. If that valve (almost always under the hood near the back of the engine compartment) is stuck closed, you wont get any heat.

One last thing. Check to make sure your thermostat on the engine is not stuck open. If it is, it won't let the engine get hot in the first place, so the heater won't make hot air even if everything is working properly.
0 Replies