Bananas Extinct in 10 years?

Sublime

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 05:56 pm
I keep hearing this in news bytes and am wondering if there is any truth to it. I seem to remember this threat being launched about bananas about 20 years ago, and they are still around.

I did notice today that the local supermarket has raised their banana prices 20 cents a pound.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,779 • Replies: 15
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 10:36 pm
No more bananas in ten years? God, what tale will we hear about next? In this atmosphere of 'fear' of terrorists, all we need is another hoax on 'no more bananas.' It's more believable that this world will end in ten years, but no more bananas has got to be a hoax. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 08:12 pm
Here are a few links to some articles on the subject.
It's a possibility, but not likely. The crop is worth too much to all of us, for them to let it slide. Very Happy

CNN Report

COA Report
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 08:18 pm
Emile Frison is a quack of the first order. How long does he think bananas have existed in this world? c.i.
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:17 pm
I've asked a few people, and they remember hearing this same tactic about 20 years ago.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:49 am
I read this somewhere too, and I believed it. Confused

I hope it's not true. Bananas are my favorite fruit, in fact one of the few I eat on a semi-regular basis. (I know, I know, I need to do something about my eating habits.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:59 am
I love bananas too! Even have a quart of banana-fudge ice cream in the frig, and some fresh bananas on the kitchen counter that disappears quickly, because I use it on my cereal. I was reminded of a funny story about bananas when I visited Egypt for the first time five years ago, and we were on the last day of our tour. A family from Chicago and I were sitting in the garden-patio of the Cairo Marriott where we were relaxing, and all of us ordered banana splits. We waited, maybe, about 35-40 minutes, and the waiter came back to tell us they had no more bananas. What made this so funny was the fact that they grow bananas in Egypt. We even visited a banana plantation on Banana Island in Luxor. Wink c.i.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL11/869904/inbox/t-48589.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 04:18 pm
Bananas grow here in Northern California. Not very well, but they do, I've seen them in yards in San Jose.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:30 pm
cjh, Better go hijack some of those bananas. You'll earn a mint. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:48 pm
Bananas must not disappear. I have long adhered to the prescription "a banana a day keeps the doctor away." Please don't correct me by citing the silly thing about apples put out by the Apple Growers Association of America.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:48 pm
Yes, we have no bananas....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:24 pm
Damn, beat me to it.

Paid rent for a month on a place I never lived in in Santa Cruz. A shame, too, because the deck on the garage was off of what would have been my room, and the fruiting banana tree was within easy reach of the deck.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:28 pm
pd, That must have been ages ago, because the rents in Santa Cruz now is unaffordable for most - with or without banana access. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:29 pm
Almost a decade, damn it. I've kept a loose eye on the rents, and they do seem to be going back down again, since so many of the people around where you are have lost their jobs.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:31 pm
There's a 2BR duplex unit two doors down from me, 750 sqare feet, the guy's asking $1250/month. At least it has a small, private yard in back. Ridiculous though.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:37 pm
Not if someone will pay it.

My sister's got property in Sacramento, and she rents it out for waaaay less than she could -- and that's over in cow country. CA's gotten out of hand since I left.

Oh, and -- bananas! is a great movie...
0 Replies