Some questions about cooking fish in a bamboo steamer ..

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 05:30 am
I bought my first bamboo steamer last week. Tonight I cooked my first fish with it, in a wok. I'm very impressed: Very quick, very tasty & very healthy - no added oil what-so-ever! Very Happy

But I have a few questions, if any of you can help:

* The fish I cooked was recommended by my fish monger. Actually, the least expensive of his suggestions. A strange (Oz) name I've forgotten, sorry. Anyway, as tasty as it was, it had lots of fine bones, which were a little annoying. So how would fillets work cooked this way? Or any other fish suggestions?

* I chose a very simple recipe. Just finely grated ginger & Shoyu sauce poured on the fish. Then, at the last minute, chopped green onions, steamed for a few seconds. Do you have any tried & true (& yummy) additions that you use? Do you ever stuff fish cooked in this way? If so, what with?

* Any other suggestions of food that can be cooked by this method? ( I like it!)

* Finally, the bamboo steamer: Even though my fish was cooked on a plate inside the steamer, bits of food fell into the steamer, etc. What's the best way to clean it after cooking? Obviously not detergent & hot water. So how do you clean yours?

Thanks in advance,
Olga
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,629 • Replies: 29
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:01 am
Interesting questions. My first thought was: how would one clean it after? I can't help answer your geustions, but I'm interested in hearing the responses you get. Wouldn't the fish fillet cook the same way, but for less time?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 01:51 pm
mmm, why not soap and water, assuming you rinse the soap well?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:06 pm
Interested in hearing more replies. I have never used a bamboo steamer but I have a couple of bamboo strainers that are about 30 years old and frequently washed in hot soapy water with no ill effects.

Here's what I found online: (Sounds great!)
Quote:

Bamboo Steam Cooking Guide
Compliments of Joyce Chen Inc., with added comments by us.

Bamboo steam cooking offers many advantages over boiling and other wet heat methods of cooking. It better controls the texture and color of foods, especially vegetables, and makes them more nutritious since fewer vitamins and minerals are lost in the cooking process.

How to Use a Bamboo Steamer

Before using for the first time, scrub the bamboo thoroughly with mild soap and water.

While it is still wet, steam it for 30 minutes.

To cook, place one section of the bamboo steamer in your wok (or snugly over a large pan) so that it fits nicely with some room around for the edges.

Add water until it just touches the bottom of the first bamboo layer. Then stack as many sections of your bamboo steamer, one on top of the other, with as many food courses as you wish to prepare.

Don't allow the food to come in contact with the steamer and you won't have sticking, or rancidity. Use a bed of lettuce or other fresh leaves, or parchment paper. If using a dish, make sure there's enough room between the dish and the sides to allow the steam to rise.

Herbs can be added to the water to allow an aromatic flavor to permeate the food when cooking.

Cover snugly with your bamboo steamer lid, and start the water boiling.

Steam food to perfection by taste-testing with a fork, to determine when the food is cooked.

You can steam individual servings of a complete meal, like fish or chicken with vegetables, by placing the food on the plate on which it will be served. Then place each plate on its own steaming tier, but be sure not to cover up all of the steam holes around the edges of the plate. Aluminum foil may also be placed directly on the bamboo slats. Be careful when taking the plate out of the steamer, since it will be very hot.

When steaming vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, or celery, the tough stem ends should be placed toward the center of the steamer so that they come out tender.

At the end of the steaming process, you will end up with a delicious soup stock in the bottom of the pot.

Your steamer is great for refreshing day-old bread or rolls. To make them tender again, just loosely cover them with foil and steam for approximately 5 minutes.

Care & Storage of Bamboo Steamer

Rinse your steamer with water and, if necessary, use some mild soap.

Do not put your bamboo steamer set in the dishwasher.

Store the steamer in a well ventilated place.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:06 pm
Interested in hearing more replies. I have never used a bamboo steamer but I have a couple of bamboo strainers that are about 30 years old and frequently washed in hot soapy water with no ill effects.

Here's what I found online: (Sounds great!)
Quote:

Bamboo Steam Cooking Guide
Compliments of Joyce Chen Inc., with added comments by us.

Bamboo steam cooking offers many advantages over boiling and other wet heat methods of cooking. It better controls the texture and color of foods, especially vegetables, and makes them more nutritious since fewer vitamins and minerals are lost in the cooking process.

How to Use a Bamboo Steamer

Before using for the first time, scrub the bamboo thoroughly with mild soap and water.

While it is still wet, steam it for 30 minutes.

To cook, place one section of the bamboo steamer in your wok (or snugly over a large pan) so that it fits nicely with some room around for the edges.

Add water until it just touches the bottom of the first bamboo layer. Then stack as many sections of your bamboo steamer, one on top of the other, with as many food courses as you wish to prepare.

Don't allow the food to come in contact with the steamer and you won't have sticking, or rancidity. Use a bed of lettuce or other fresh leaves, or parchment paper. If using a dish, make sure there's enough room between the dish and the sides to allow the steam to rise.

Herbs can be added to the water to allow an aromatic flavor to permeate the food when cooking.

Cover snugly with your bamboo steamer lid, and start the water boiling.

Steam food to perfection by taste-testing with a fork, to determine when the food is cooked.

You can steam individual servings of a complete meal, like fish or chicken with vegetables, by placing the food on the plate on which it will be served. Then place each plate on its own steaming tier, but be sure not to cover up all of the steam holes around the edges of the plate. Aluminum foil may also be placed directly on the bamboo slats. Be careful when taking the plate out of the steamer, since it will be very hot.

When steaming vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, or celery, the tough stem ends should be placed toward the center of the steamer so that they come out tender.

At the end of the steaming process, you will end up with a delicious soup stock in the bottom of the pot.

Your steamer is great for refreshing day-old bread or rolls. To make them tender again, just loosely cover them with foil and steam for approximately 5 minutes.

Care & Storage of Bamboo Steamer

Rinse your steamer with water and, if necessary, use some mild soap.

Do not put your bamboo steamer set in the dishwasher.

Store the steamer in a well ventilated place.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:55 pm
I used a bamboo steamer several years ago, and I'm sure I washed it once in a while in soapy water. It's hard to remember, but I think I made shu mai and other dim sum items and steamed them. I think I steamed pot stickers too...

Here's a shu mai recipe - http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blrecipe426.htm

Ahh, I just looked up steamed pot stickers and see that they are fried on one side first and then water is added and a cover and they are then steamed a bit... so I wouldn't have used the bamboo steamer for that.

I think I also made a vietnamese recipe for steamed eggs....
this is a different recipe, japanese instead of vietnamese, but it involves the same idea, though I used a one glass dish instead of cups -
http://asianconnections.com/food/recipes/static/recipe.0030.php

This is all making me hungry..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 10:28 pm
ossobuco wrote:
mmm, why not soap and water, assuming you rinse the soap well?

Oh good! Now I know that it won't cause any problems, I will! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 10:32 pm
Thanks very much for that information, Piffka! Unfortunately, I didn't do the big soak thing before cooking. Rolling Eyes But All went well anyway (yum!) & I think I'll treat it with a bit more gusto in the future! Obviously it can handle it! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 10:39 pm
Thank you for the recipes, osso. They look good, particularly the egg "pudding". I've added both those sites to my favourites & will return for more inspiration. Very Happy

They've made me hungry, too! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 10:42 pm
littlek

Yep, I think I'll try fish fillets next time I need a "fish fix". Those bones spoilt my fun! Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 07:44 am
I'm going to look for a steamer, too, though the big soak sounds like a lot of trouble, it also sounds like a great way to cook. But I agree, I wouldn't like to try to eat a fish with a lot of little bones. When I was a child I remember wondering who came up with this idea (of bones in fish). I think my dad liked to fish for trout which are notorious for little tiny bones. My mother would make us eat bread afterwards just to be sure that the bones wouldn't get caught in our throat. THAT's enough to scare anybody! (I couldn't understand the mechanism... how is the bread going to help? Will it help enough? Maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't eat the fish!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:47 am
I'm hungry too....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:12 pm
Piffka

I'm stating the obvious, but make sure you buy the largest to fit your wok if you're planning on cooking largish things like fish. The first one I bought, ages ago, was too small. Perhaps the right size for sardines? Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:59 pm
Piffka

I bought mine at one of those wonderful Asian shops, full of great ingredients, sauces & spices, cooking implements & whatevers .....
An elderly Vietnamese woman smiled & nodded her approval of my choice as I headed toward the counter with it. I wish I could have asked her for her favourite recipes. A nice moment. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:49 pm
This recipe is closer than the first one I gave to the vietnamese steamed eggs that I used to make, but still has a lot more stuff in it. This one has glass noodles and chicken... I think mine had sliced scallions and fish sauce and maybe sesame oil? maybe rice vinegar? Ah, well, I'll keep looking. But the person who wrote this recipe in the link is right, you can add just about anything.

http://fitdv.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=95559

edit to add two more -
this one by Emeril sounds good
http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_21259,00.html

and this one sounds easy
http://www.chinavoc.com/cuisine/family/poultry/p_eggcus.asp
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:57 pm
That looks great, osso! Very healthy, too! I've saved it & will definitely try it soon. Very Happy Thank you.

I've never used fish sauce before. This will be a first!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:59 pm
Ooh, Olga, I just added two more, so be sure to look back..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:02 pm
I'm looking, I'm looking, osso! Very Happy
Dried shrimps! Haven't tried those, either! This is an adventure! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:10 pm
The truth is probably any quiche recipe would do, without the crust, but I like the asian flavors..

Can you believe I've never made quiche? So backwards I am. I suspect though that these recipes have more non-egg fluid, but I'm not sure since I don't have a quiche recipe lying around.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:10 pm
That's great, osso! So many of the recipes are so easy, too! Suits me! Laughing :wink:

I hope Piffka finds some inspiration here, too.
0 Replies