Recipie Swap Thread for us hungry folks! :-)

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:15 am
We have canned our own tomatoes for years, but this year the crop isn't large enough for some reason. To top it off, the lot our garden is on had been sold and is going to be "scraped" and developed into homes/apartments. Sucks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:05 am
Oh, no! Sympathy from here..
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:32 am
Getting back to recipes, here is one I recently received from a family member. I have eaten this Lasagna several times -- it is delicious. (Must be the canned tomatoes.)

Aunt GG's New York Lasagna

2-3 T. olive oil
1 medium onion-diced
2 lg. garlic cloves-crushed
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4-1/3 pound sweet Italian sausage
1/4-1/3 pound hot Italian sausage
2 large cans ITALIAN tomatoes (Yes, Italian is underlined!)
2 small cans tomato paste
salt (1 to 1 1/2 tsp.)
1 T. crushed oregano leaves
fresh basil -- 3 large leaves snipped into small bits
1 & 1/2 pounds mozzarella cheese, sliced
1 & 1/2 pints ricotta cheese
8 to 12 oz. grated Romano cheese
1 pckg. lasagna noodles

In a large pan saute onions & garlic in olive oil 'til golden.
Add ground beef & sausages, break up & brown 'til thoroughly cooked.
Stir in ITALIAN tomatoes, paste & seasonings (to taste).
Simmer at least 1 hour. (Best to cook it most of day, refrigerate overnight & build lasagna next day.)

Cook, drain and dry noodles.
In 2 rectangular pans cover the bottoms of the pans with small amount of sauce, then build 3-4 lasagna layers:
-- noodles
-- ricotta
-- romano
-- mozzarella
-- sauce

Bake 1 hour at 350 F.

There is a note that says it can be frozen -- I assume that's after cooking.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:51 pm
Was that ITALIAN tomatoes, osso? Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:06 am
eh?

hopping off soapbox, I don't care where they are grown if they taste good and vine ripen. Can't do that in my yard now. I wouldn't be surprised if you get some good tomatoes in Oz... but probably the same way we do, getting them from the garden or from a balcony pot (uh, that would be a big pot...)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:20 am
psssst: I go Italian tomatoes, too, osso. Every time. (Unless we have a remarkable summer.) Just joking! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:35 am
Ok ok, I get sensitive, me being such a blowhard and all, I know I over do it... (she says, snuffleing.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:40 am
And I absolutely agree with you! Very Happy
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:49 am
Despite several desperate attempts, I've never been able to grow tomatoes. I guess I just don't have a green thumb.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:29 am
I can sometimes grow tomatoes, but they are notoriously difficult. Nothing like a sun-warmed ripe tomato to bite into though.

Osso -- You weren't really mad at me, were you?
<wanders off muttering -- p'raps I should take food more seriously....>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:58 am
What, no, eek, never.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:57 pm
Oh good. I went to the grocery and bought marinara sauce that said it was made with Italian tomatoes. Wink Good that it was Italian, I think. Bad that I no longer make marinara sauce myself, but I'll doctor it up with some extras.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:17 pm
Made a wicked tomato sauce with yes, lovely canned Italian tomatoes, fresh basil, Vidalia onion, cream and excellent Italian canned tuna in olive oil on angel hair pasta.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:23 pm
Just to mention, as I am not sure Shewolf or others know, we have right now 343 recipes on the a2k portal - see the top of this page - check, home and food and drink and then, recipes.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:29 pm
Home made tomato sauce... hehehe

A bag of nature sweet tomatos
1/4 cup of the following:
Basil
Oregano
Thime
Tarragon
Seasoning salt

1 tiny can of tomato paste if desired
2 cups chopped Crimini mushrooms and Portabello mushrooms ( together not 2 cups each )
1 sweet onion
1 orange bell pepper diced as small as possible

Cook in a pan with olive oil your bell pepper mushrooms,and tarragon until your bell pepper is desired consistancy. I think it works well when the pepper is still a bit crunchy.
Remove all tomatos and place in seperate bowl and mash completely. It helps to maybe cut them in half first.. Leave chunks if you like.
Pour in remaining seasonings.
At the last minute drop your tomato mixture into your pan with the mushrooms and pepper,
season salt to taste.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 07:41 pm
Tonights dinner: a joint venture between my housemate and me.

Barilla ricotta-mushroom tortelloni and a mushroom sauce.

The sauce:

2 TBsp olive oil
2 cloved diced garlic
1 TBsp dried chopped parsely
1.5 TBsp fresh chopped rosemary
2 cups dried mushrooms (reconstituted, liquid reserved)
1 TBsp fresh chopped basil
1/4 C grated parmasan reggiano

Sautee ingredients in above order and heat until mushrooms lose their liquid. Add reserved mushroom liquid after passing it through a coffee filter to remove dirt - let simmer while pasta cooks. Add cheese toward end of simmer, toss with pasta. Buon appetito!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 08:58 pm
<osso never uses tomato paste, with the possible extreme exception if you made it yourself>

what, you like all your sauces to taste like tomato paste?

quiet, osso.

I guess I am an exception, I can tell the taste a mile away, obliterating all else. Throw the cans, she says! (smiling, and keep them if you insist).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 09:50 pm
I don't like tomato paste, myself. I have found decent canned stewed tomatoes (Muir Glen). At least, I think they're decent.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:35 pm
We have them here too... they're fine. Well, I use the plain ones, but ne'er mind, I am sure the stewed are dandy, it is a good company.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:13 pm
I agree with the tomato paste thing too. I have never liked it, but it is such a popular 'short-cut' I figured it would go over better then what I do.
I use my food processor and puree tomatos and strain them, simmer over low heat with herbs and a little salt until they are thick. THAT is my tomato ''paste''. heheh :-)
Im hungry.....
0 Replies