Jesus was crucified in summer and not in spring

peacecrusader888

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 02:41 am
@neologist,
It is true that Passover and the Feast of Unleveaned Bread, together, are known to the Jews as Pesach, or its English equivalent as Passover Festival. It is held from the 14th day to the 21st day of the first month of the religious calendar. During the time of Jesus, the Jews were using two kinds of calendars: a purely lunar religious calendar like the Muslim calendar, and a lunisolar civil calendar. The purely lunar calendar has no intercalation so it is wandering through the seasons. In the lunisolar calendar, a month is intercalated on the third, sixth, eighth, eleventh, fourteenth, seventeenth, and nineteenth year in a 19-year Metonic cycle, to keep the calendar in season. In 358/359 AD, under Hillel II, the Jews reformed their calendars and came out with just one calendar, from two calendars, which we know today.

peacecrusader888

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 02:46 am
@neologist,
It is true that Passover and the Feast of Unleveaned Bread, together, are known to the Jews as Pesach, or its English equivalent as Passover Festival. It is held from the 14th day to the 21st day of the first month of the religious calendar.

During the time of Jesus, the Jews were using two kinds of calendars: a purely lunar religious calendar like the Muslim calendar, and a lunisolar civil calendar. The purely lunar calendar has no intercalation so it is wandering through the seasons. In the lunisolar calendar, a month is intercalated on the third, sixth, eighth, eleventh, fourteenth, seventeenth, and nineteenth year in a 19-year Metonic cycle, to keep the calendar in season. In 358/359 AD, under Hillel II, the Jews reformed their calendars and came out with just one calendar, from two calendars, which we know today.

0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 03:04 am
@neologist,
It is true that Passover and the Feast of Unleveaned Bread, together, are known to the Jews as Pesach, or its English equivalent as Passover Festival. It is held from the 14th day to the 21st day of the first month of the religious calendar.

During the time of Jesus, the Jews were using two kinds of calendars: a purely lunar religious calendar like the Muslim calendar, and a lunisolar civil calendar. The purely lunar calendar has no intercalation so it is wandering through the seasons. In the lunisolar calendar, a month is intercalated on the third, sixth, eighth, eleventh, fourteenth, seventeenth, and nineteenth year in a 19-year Metonic cycle, to keep the calendar in season. In 358/359 AD, under Hillel II, the Jews reformed their (two) calendars and came out with just one calendar which we know today.

0 Replies

neologist

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 11:08 am
@peacecrusader888,
I'll answer just this one:
I understand that there are different calendars.
That does not change the calculation of the Passover date which is keyed to the vernal equinox.
The Passover marks the time of Jesus' death and the institution of the New Covenant. Jesus charged his followers to remember the event.
peacecrusader888

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 05:39 pm
@neologist,
So there are different kinds of calendars. Did you know that the Jews were using two different kinds of calendars during the time of Jesus? You know that they are: a solar calendar, a purely lunar calendar, and a lunisolar calendar.

I will ask you: do the Jews have festivals in winter? What is stated in John 10:22-23 which states:
22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter.
23 And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch.
What is the feast of the dedication?
cicerone imposter

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 06:04 pm
@peacecrusader888,
Quote:
Hanukkah The Feast of Dedication The Chanukah Story by ...
www.ascensionministries.net/theHanukkahStory.php
"And it was at Jerusalem the Feast of The Dedication (Hanukkah), and it was winter. And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch" John 10:22-23 KJV.
neologist

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 09:08 pm
@peacecrusader888,
The Passover is always in the spring.
cicerone imposter

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 09:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hanukkah 2016 begins in the evening of
Saturday, December 24
and ends in the evening of
Sunday, January 1
peacecrusader888

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 11:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Did you say that Hanukkah is the Feast of the Dedication? John 10:22 say that it was winter when the Feast of the Dedication occurred. Is Hanukkah a winter festival? Hanukkah is held on Kislev 25, and the month of Kislev is the last month of autumn.
cicerone imposter

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 11:36 pm
@peacecrusader888,
I didn't say; I took that from the internet. Also, I found on the internet that Hanukkah will be celebrated from the eve of Dec 24 to the eve of Jan 1 this year.
peacecrusader888

Mon 14 Mar, 2016 11:47 pm
@neologist,
I said that during the time of Jesus, the Jews were using two kinds of calendars.

Nowadays, there is just one kind of calendar used by the Jews. Nisan is the first month of the religious calendar, and Tishri is the first month of the civil calendar. Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread is from the 14th to the 21st of Nisan. This is today but during the time of Jesus, the first month of the year of the religious calendar is wherever it falls on which month of the civil calendar. When Jesus was born, the first month fell in the month of Av. When Jesus was crucified and died, the first month also fell in the month of Av.
neologist
  Selected Answer

Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:50 am
@peacecrusader888,
peacecrusader888 wrote:
I said that during the time of Jesus, the Jews were using two kinds of calendars. . .
But the time of Passover Meal was and is determined according to the spring equinox.
peacecrusader888

Tue 15 Mar, 2016 08:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
Sorry. You didn't say it but cited the link and it came from Pastor Hill of Ascension Ministries.
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Tue 15 Mar, 2016 08:43 am
@neologist,
Yes, the Passover Meal or "seder" is eaten on the 14th of the first month of the religious calendar. These days, that first month is fixed in the month of Nisan. During the time of Jesus, it was on the purely lunar calendar. The Jewish calendars was reformed on 358/359 AD and remained there eversince. The Jews celebrate it on Nisan 14 whereas the Christians abide by the rule of the spring equinox.
neologist

Tue 15 Mar, 2016 10:47 am
@peacecrusader888,
Apparently the Jews continue using the rule of the spring equinox. However, I believe they reckon new moons according to the Greenwich Meridian rather than Longitude Jerusalem. That may account for the discrepancy in dates for 2016.

Actually, the date is of less importance than is the meaning of Jesus' sacrifice, the institution of the New Covenant, in particular. But I am quite sure that Nisan 14 falls on March 23 this year. And, as a Christian, I feel obligated to observe that date.
Leadfoot

Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:52 am
No expert here, but didn't Jesus criticize the observance of seasons and times of the year?

Celebrating one more trip around the sun never made sense to me.
neologist

Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
Jesus observed every part of the law. That was one of the signs of his presence
Leadfoot

Tue 15 Mar, 2016 02:31 pm
@neologist,
Guess I was thinking of this from Paul. Seems to imply that emphasizing these times misses the whole point of what Jesus came for. Freedom from empty ritual...

Galatians 4:9-11 KJV
[9] But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? [10] Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. [11] I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.
neologist

Tue 15 Mar, 2016 04:05 pm
@Leadfoot,
Of course.
Jesus' death removed the jots and tittles of the Mosaic Law.
But while was alive, he was under law.
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Tue 15 Mar, 2016 05:53 pm
@neologist,
The Jews are celebrating the Passover on the 14th of Nisan these days. The Christians, on the other hand, celebrate the Christian Passover called Easter based on the spring equinox between 03-22 and 04-25 on the first Sunday after the first full moon on or after 03-21.

It was the Romans who first set the Christian Passover in the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD. The Jews, nowadays, celebrate Passover on Nisan 14 since their calendar reformation in 358/359 AD.