Would You Want To Know The Identity Of The Person For Whom You Were A Muse?

Guild

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 04:22 pm
Here's the situation:

I sometimes get to work with this one girl, who has been a muse for five weeks now. During which time I have written 14 new songs. Not all of them are directly about her, but it is her energy, if you will, that is fueling the inspiration. And the songs are all of a positive nature.

Yes, I would love to get to know her better, because of how intrigued I am. But I am 99.9 percent certain the age difference will prevent us from getting together, which I’m okay with.

Properly recording the songs is not in the cards right now, but I do plan on at least giving her a copy of the lyrics and letting her know.

Assume for a moment you’re that girl. Would you be okay with the writer remaining anonymous, thus preventing any potential awkwardness, or would you want to know who the songwriter was/is?

Thank you for your time?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,139 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 04:30 pm
@Guild,
yikes

I wish you hadn't indicated you're an artist. It would be easier to answer this with full honesty.

but what the heck. I don't know you so I'm going to say it.

So much art is just awful. The odds are I'd be mortified by the quality of what was created and wouldn't want to know /wouldn't want anyone else to know.

I find it hard to think of an upside to telling someone they were a muse.

__

I've recently seen a classic example on FB. A photographer has credited a friend of mine as being his muse. The photos are awful and she is so upset that he mentioned her publicly. She told some of us she felt like she should apologize to our community.

__

edit: he's a somewhat well known commercial photographer, so he's not a hack. he just should have stayed out of the more creative side
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 04:45 pm
Quote:
I find it hard to think of an upside to telling someone they were a muse.

Yup. Don't impose this on her. It's kind of stalkerish, a bit like you were --so to speak-- jerking off artistically over her. Several kinds of creepy.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 04:49 pm
As a writer, I tell people in advance if I want to use their name in my work, and I ask for permission. If someone inspires me but I don't name them, I don't publicly out them but I will answer if they ask.
0 Replies

Guild

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 05:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Her name does not appear in any of the songs, and I would not out her as to being the muse.

Thank you for your response.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 09:42 pm
@Guild,
I see it differently. I would be flattered and I don't think that the lyrics
are compromising or so bad that she would feel offended. I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're good at what you're doing, so I'd just give
her the lyrics and ask for input, and go from there...
Guild

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2016 10:42 am
@CalamityJane,
Offending her is the absolute last thing I'd want to do, and it would take me a very long time to forgive myself, if she did feel insulted. Hence, I will take every possible measure to ensure she is not offended.

Thank you for your vote of confidence!

0 Replies