JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 11:26 am
That's right. Thanks.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 11:53 am
I should have qualified the statement about plein air -- I meant California plein air artists.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:35 pm
lots of interesting points - I did mean email the site privately osso - not put it on A2k, I may not have made it clear. I can see the reasons that links aren't allowed.

Have you looked at geocities for creating your site? My site is pretty simple and basic, because I just wanted the images to speak for themselves. I designed it using Frontpage - so the colours/font/layout etc are totally controllable and, like you i don't sell online. I simply use it as a very important showcase when talking to galleries, who can see a limited number of originals that i can carry plus a larger range of work online. It's free if you accept a small popup ad in the top right hand corner, which you can close down out of the way. It is a first attempt and so isn't sophisticated or clever but it has done its job! I've had some strange contacts through it as well - a gallery in Italy wanted to show my work - mmm - but i had to hire the gallery and ship the work ... thanks but no thanks! one artist in Portugal wanted to swap paintings ...

I for one would love to see more of your work.

Misti is the expert on free sites for photos - it would be lovely to see your Italian photos, I'd love to go to Italy - specially Florence and Venice and Tuscany.

I understand that for some working plein air isn't important and your work does have a terrific sense of place, so for you it works not to paint outside. I don't like rules, so, whatever works for you and produces good paintings is right. Also you are working outside a great deal in your work and so a lot of information is constantly being observed.

I need to work outside as well as in the studio. I don't find photos satisfying enough personally - the film doesn't show all the colours the eye can see and the 3 dimensionality is important to me (though i do use them as additional reference and takes zillions for their own sake - 192 from one week in Devon!). I think that part of this is that in working from something 3D, i give the perspective and movement of the planes etc my own sort of twist and may distort it slightly. With a 2D photo I just don't do this the same - so I'm like Farmer on this (LOVE the signature line by the way!)

There are a lot of really good painters in Scotland at the moment, where the influence of the Scottish Colourists is still strong (- they worked in France alongside the Impressionists/post impressionists, you probably know?). Putting Scottish Colourists (English spelling of colour necessary!) in google you'll come up with work by the original colourists and some brilliant contemporary work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 06:35 pm
Well, I'll do that, I'd like to see those scottish colourists' works.

Ah, I am very very very picky about a website's look and don't want ads at all, though the one popup doesn't sound too awful. I'll be getting in gear on it one of these days.

I found a stash of 8 x 10's I had done years ago of some old work.. it will be fun to scan those, though I'll have to reduce them.. finally I can show the Nude with Bicycle..
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:06 pm
Now THAT will be an interesting picture. Lady Godiva on wheels.

Right now, our Letty is probably having a rough time heading for higher ground (Tampa, Florida).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:08 pm
Really, eek...

thanks, jl.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 01:06 am
Misti, Rae and cats are fine - the storm just missed them. Very Happy
0 Replies