Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:29 pm
hello i said i wasnt oging to post this but i REALLY HAVE NO CHOICE

first the vehicle info

1992 pontiac grand am
147,648 miles
2.3 QUAD 4
4 door auto

well i will try to explain as best i can what is happening to it,

so far since i bought it 2 years ago, i have put brakes tires, new muffler, new windshield and various maintenance, i bought it from my ex girlfriends brother for 125.00 it wans trunning good at the time and he bought a 1997 grand am, so he let me have it cheap

after months of searching she lost all power, finally we discovered that a coil was blown, i replaced that and she flew!

i have taken her across the untied states to maine where i know am, and she lost the alternator in massachussets (325.00 total) and now it is really going fast,

about 3 weeks ago it just cut out, it was going then it stalled, i managed to get it running again, only to have it cut o ut, lots was going through my head about what could be wrong, i brought it to a mechanic, and after it sat there for a WEEk he replaced the crankshaft sensor, only to realize that wasnt the problem, then he finally found the ignition module was being corroded and heated up by blown spark plug boots, thes BABIES WERE MELTED, i saw them, so we tohught he fixed it and since i only paid 65.00 for all that, i tohught i got a deal until.........

it ran strong for about 4 days, then every so often it would just almost stall, usaully on a hill, but no biggie i tohught, until it got worse,

heres what it does right now and for the last week

ill be driving or idling or accelerating or just stopped, and the enine will just CUT OFF BOOM gone, and WILL NOT RESTART, so if i wait maybe five minutes sometimes ten, its getting longer to wait now, it will start right up, also i noticed once awhile back, when i turn the key i can hear a whirring noise then a (click) form behind me, i guess this is my fuel pump getting ready to run or someting, well lately if i turn the key to that point ten times, i only hear the noise 3 or 4 now, and when the car does run again, it will just cut out somewhere down the road, and you dont know when,

it is VERY UNRELIABLE, and i really dont wanna soak money back into it, it is very old, and im trying to sell it for 400.00 (tires and glass nad parts worth that alone) i dont know what to do, it isnt the computer i chehcked and no codes are bad, but i also changed the plugs (really needed it) sitll no fix, whenever it does die, it always gets me home, but today it stalled five times on the way home from work, so the stalls are coming faster now, when this started it was only evry vouple of days, but it has progressed to five or six a day, then it runs fine.

this is not temp related, or coolant or hoses, all that is new, new radiaotor fan, new coolant tank, new engine hoses

\i just dont know, and i started a new job to get money to but the new car, and now that is on the line, if i am late i will BE FIRED, and my car might cut out on the way to work, so if you can help please do

god bless

jay

ps if it is sometihng i can test or check i will, just give me steps to elimate it, i an=int going near a garage with it, until im almost CERTAIN whats up, and since it isnt COMPUTER related, i can probably find out in my driveway, the car is home btw, i pushed it here for two miles last night

also one thing that comes to mind, what if the catalic converter plugged, but that wouldnt explain the timing to restart it,

??????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,217 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:24 am
You only paid one hundred and twenty five bucks for it? If that's the case, cut your losses, sell it to a wrecker and get another car.
0 Replies

notsurewhattodo

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:28 am
yes, true, but i PUT OVER 2000.00 into it, withall the parts labor and maintenance, i was hoping someone might give me AUTO ADVICE since i NEED THE CAR TO GET MONEY TO BUY ANOTHER ONE.

thankx
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:03 am
Fuel pump.

If you do it yourself, MAKE SURE that you flush the tank out with clean fuel.

IF YOU DON'T the new pump will not last any longer than the old one.

I would start there, but it could be several other things.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 03:19 am
I recently had the same problem, but not quite as bad and it was the fuel pump.

Good luck.
0 Replies

notsurewhattodo

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:21 pm
ok, i did some tests today, i wanted to see if the computer was malfunctioning so i pullled the maf sensor, the car stayed running but really rough, and i checked the scanner and it showed a 34 maf sensor shorting, lol duh, so we know the comp is fine, i reset the codes and tryed some other stuff.

i ran the car in park at slightly higher then idle (maybe 2500 rpms or so, doesnt have a meter) for five exactly )4:47 before it stalled, then i had to wait exactly 05:05 before it ran again, same thing i repeated this and the car ran for 04:31 before it died again, and i waited exactly 04:45 before it would restart again, during the second running stage, i beat the catalic converter with a hammer, and crap fell out, then the car stalled, on the third restart it ran for approxiamtely 1 hour 45 minutes, then died, i got a ride to work today, even tohugh i know i could have jumped in and she would have started right up, im starting to shy away from the fuel pump being the cause, because i was told they usaully go out once, come back on and then they are dead, but who knows, any advice would be great.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:35 pm
Ya'know, Wilso might be right. What it is worth has no relationship to what you've got in it, and this one sounds like a heartbreaker.
0 Replies