Skyeman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 10:01 am
I have two separate feeds to a kitchen dining room fro two mcbs in consumer unit. one feed is overloaded can I parallel them to share load.
Skyeman
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,028 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 11:33 am
@Skyeman,
Wow Sky that's a good q

I'd say not, 'cause an actual overload to the one might be absorbed by the other; so your house catches fire. Thus I'd be more inclined to switch loads, even tho might entail wiring
Eng, help us
0 Replies

seac

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 11:35 am
@Skyeman,
What's a mcbs? Whatever. I don't think it is a good idea. If the wires are not capable of taking the amperage, it could cause a fire. Better to divide the load evenly between the two feeds. I'm assuming the loads are various appliances.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 11:42 am
@seac,
Quote:
What's a mcbs?
Good q, Seac. I had to go One.look, concluding "Miniature Circuit Breaker". Right, Sky?

Sky, Seac is right of course about the capacity. Yet I'd be afraid of tricky problems more unpredictable

For instance the next owner of your house, unawares, shuts off one of the mcb's then electrocutes himself
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 11:50 am
@Skyeman,
NO. If the circuits are out of phase you will get bad things to happen. Swap loads from one circuit to the other. What do you have that is overloading the circuit?
dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 11:58 am
@engineer,
Aha Sky you see how Eng came up with one that hadn't occurred to me in spite of a lifetime in the field. Probably there are others even more obscure

For instance the two mcb's might have different sources of slightly different voltage, in which case Gosh knows what might happen

Right, Eng?
0 Replies