The Revenant: Is this Leo DiCaprio's Year?

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 08:04 am
The Revenant (2015) is this year's movie to beat at the Oscars. While six time Oscar perennial Leo DiCaprio is the supposed lock for this year's lead actor award.

Do you love, hate, or meh the existence of Leo "I'm the king of the world!" DiCaprio?

Have you seen The Revenant? What do you think of it? Oscar worthy? Over hyped mess of an art house film?

Best Motion Picture of the Year

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Leonardo DiCaprio

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Tom Hardy

Best Achievement in Directing
Alejandro González Iñárritu

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Emmanuel Lubezki

Best Achievement in Editing
Best Achievement in Production Design
Best Achievement in Costume Design
Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling
Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Best Achievement in Visual Effects

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 01:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 05:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Do you love, hate, or meh the existence of Leo "I'm the king of the world!" DiCaprio?

I've gone from disliking him for no good reason (he just looks weird, I think he might trigger some kind of uncanny valley in me with his huge bobble head) to begrudgingly respecting his talent.

Quote:
Have you seen The Revenant? What do you think of it? Oscar worthy? Over hyped mess of an art house film?

Saw it and liked it, am not enough of a film buff to give an informed opinion of it or his performance though.

My general impression of his Oscar drought is that though he has been a fantastic actor for decades that he deserved each loss, there was always someone else acting out of their minds who deserved it more.
0 Replies

BraxLimbo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 03:12 am
@tsarstepan,
I haven't seen the movie but from what everyone was saying, the trailer and my love for Leo, I think it could be his year. It SHOULD be. But say thanks to the bear tho.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 12:40 pm
@BraxLimbo,

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 12:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have always had a particular special distaste for Leo Di Caprio, Tom Cruise, and the likes...its incompatible with my genotype at first glance. Both are self centred, loud, without gestural body grace, and mentally vacuous...perfect for mass market...
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 01:46 pm
He's a very charismatic actor.

The Revenant was very good, but I think The Wolf of Wall Street was better still. Putting the Academy's biases aside, I think he should have won for The Wolf of Wall Street.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 02:41 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Ever since, Inception, Leo DiCaprio has grown on me. Prior to that film, I couldn't stand the actor.
0 Replies

CeasarSalad

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 06:50 pm
@InfraBlue,
Both are excellent movies, excellent performances and very different genres. For me the level of diversity Leo has shown especially in the Revenant is good enough to earn him the Oscar. In the Revenant there is not a lot of dialogue, no fancy sets or glamorous costumes -Leo relies on emotion and pain to bring this character to life for the audience. This also seems to be a very physically demanding role. I think he deserves to win based on the other nominees-I've seen most of the movies.

I am a huge movie buff-old and new. I am AA. I am boycotting. I believe the academy dropped the ball and should have recognized films that represent diversity because they were equally as good as the ones being honored-I saw all but 2 of them. Straight Outta Compton definitely deserved to be recognized in a number of different categories and especially best picture. I saw it in a theater full of Caucasians and no one went away disappointed. I think the academy needs to catch up with the rest of the world.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Feb, 2016 11:40 am
@tsarstepan,

Yesterday was a good day for Leo DiCaprio.
Won Oscar: Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Leonardo DiCaprio

Best Achievement in Directing
Alejandro González Iñárritu

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Emmanuel Lubezki

Nominated Oscar: Best Motion Picture of the Year
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Tom Hardy
Best Achievement in Film Editing
Best Achievement in Costume Design
Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling
Best Achievement in Sound Mixing