2-point conversion, interception, then a fumble, then a score

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 11:21 am
Question: If, as at the end of the Denver/New England game, the final 2-point conversion attempt was intercepted in the end zone (it was), and the player who intercepted the ball fumbled (he did) and the fumble was recovered - would:
- First, let's back up a step, if the player who intercepted the ball for Denver had run it back to the other end zone, would Denver have scored 2 points or 6 points? As I looked up the rule, that Denver would have only scored 2 points ... right?
- Back to the original question, if the player for Denver had fumbled and a New England player had picked up the fumble, could that New England player have advanced the ball, and, if so, would that have been for 2 points or, due to the change of possession to Denver, and the following change of possession to New England had turned that into a 6 point touchdown?

I read the rules on the above and, not being a big time NFL fan who 'knows the rules', it seems to me that the NFL rule book leaves the second question above open, but does answer the first question above.

What would the ruling on the field be for the first question?

What would the ruling on the field be for the second question?

engineer

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 11:34 am
@CuriousToo,
First: Yes, Denver would have scored two points.
Second, Yes, the NE player could have advanced it and scored two points.

The PAT play is not a regular play. The result can only be 0, 1 or 2 points.
CuriousToo

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 09:26 am
@engineer,
With the PAT play not being a regular play, wouldn't the only score permitted be:
a) 0 points if the kick is not good
b) 0 points if 2-point conversion is not good
c) 1 point if kick is good
d) 2 points if 2-point conversion is good
e) the defending team would not be allowed to score, only stop a PAT

Until the ball is dead, I can partially understand the answer that a NE player could continue the play and score 2 points, however, with the PAT not being a regular play, the fumble and interception rules would not apply, thus stopping the PAT with an interception may be all that is needed to end the PAT?
engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 09:33 am
@CuriousToo,
That is the way it was until this year in the NFL. The PAT return for two was just approved this year for the pros although college has had it for a while.
0 Replies