Transhumanism; the shedding of our primitive chrysalis.

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:59 am
Letty wrote:
There are those who would disagree with you, Bo. The deviant or aberrant behavior among the mentally ill has often been attributed to the genes and not the environment.

true, a really tight pair of Levis, can make you very 'nasty'!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:02 am
My comment was not about mental illness though Letty, but the 99% of criminals who started out perfectly sane, and went downhill from there every time society added another kick in the head!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:09 am
not too s; the creation, and deployment of technological invention seems to be ominously devoid of any degree of sane guidance, at the moment;
the make/use it mentality governs.

That is one of the things that needs to be taken charge of!

[if a drug company creates a new drug, they have to test it for a couple of years to prove that it doesn't kill people (at least that's the 'theory' - enough cash, and lobbying........), but a weapons manufacturer can start using whatever fiendish obsenity they come up with, without control of any kind.]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:10 am
Heh! Heh!...you're right about the "too tight genes", Bo.

I know. Environment plays a very important part in who we are, but for those few who are victims of nature, genetic engineering would be most beneficial.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:15 am
Letty wrote:
.......... for those few who are victims of nature, genetic engineering would be most beneficial.

Precisely; imagine the extent of the misery that could be eliminated, if one could just get at the gene causing psychosis, and eliminate, or correct it!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:18 am
But no Blade Runner, please, Bo. Very Happy
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:34 am
And all the little androids could stop having nightmares!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:12 am
Aww, I was so hoping to be Pris in the future. There is an ancient Hebrew proverb that translates as "From Bris to Pris, the future is yours."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 10:52 am
Cav, you mean there's a Hebrew adage for Prissy britches? Razz
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
Letty wrote:
Cav, you mean there's a Hebrew adage for Prissy britches? Razz

Yes there is, but your translation is a bit off. Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:26 am
UhOh! I'm afraid to ask. Later all, gotta do stuff.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 06:54 am
cavfancier wrote:
Aww, I was so hoping to be Pris in the future........

you don't have the physical attributes!! Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

[if the last few posts found their way to the "random poetry" thread, things could get really out of hand! Shocked ]
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 06:56 am
BoGoWo wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
Aww, I was so hoping to be Pris in the future........

you don't have the physical attributes!! Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

If you can buy 'em now, they'll be even better in the future. Smile
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 06:59 am
if you want to 'buy' them now, you might want to check out the street corners near my place!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 07:01 am
Hmmm....that's too much like renting. I'm looking for an investment.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 07:05 am
write me a cheque, and i'll see what i can do! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 08:20 am
Another conference review, from

Reason
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 08:37 am
Thanks Brom;

perhaps the most facinating concept mentioned here is this:

"But the transhumanists in Toronto were not only concerned about long healthy happy lives; they were also concerned with truth. George Mason University economics professor Robin Hanson argued that super-rational posthumans in the future won't be able to "agree to disagree," chiefly because they'll agree on everything. Hanson argues that disagreements among less than super-rational people today exist largely because we deceive ourselves about what we really know to be true. There are good "reasons" for us to think that, for example, "the more you believe in yourself, the more you can get other people to believe in you," and thus get them to do what you want. But super-rational posthumans won't be able to deceive themselves or others, suggests Hanson. Does this mean the end of politicians?"

would every one agreeing produce boredom, or mean the advent of real 'progress'!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 08:44 am
Well, I'm hardly super-rational, but I do think that Hanson's theory is flawed. I don't think super-rational humans will agree on everything. I think that's a bit naive. There is also nothing to support the claim that just because at this point we "deceive ourselves about what we really know to be true" that in the future, the super-rational person will actually know what is "truth". My feeling is that the more rational we are, the more we are capable of "agreeing to disagree" without anger, prejudice or partisanism. As for the death of politicians, I'm afraid so. We would have no more use for them. Laughing
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:05 am
we'll just have to agree to disagree Cav! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies