Pork Steaks... Anything Fun to do With Them?

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:21 am
I got two packages (6 each) of boneless pork steaks for $1.49 per pound. Couldn't pass them by since that's about 75 cents less per pound than hamburger. Really happy with their size and lack of fat.

Now I want something different to do with them. I usually just bake with a sprinkling of seasoning. Feeling a little more creative, but not sure what I want to do. Any ideas? My family isn't picky about food, so most anything goes.

I look forward to any recipes or ideas you may have to offer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,320 • Replies: 22
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:26 am
Hmm...sometimes I get pork loin steaks, bone-in, cut a slit in the middle, lengthwise along the skin edge, and stick in a piece of calves liver, skewer them shut, season with olive oil, fresh herbs, salt and pepper, and grill. It would work for the boneless steaks as well. That's a damn good price for the pork, by the way.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:32 am
I love to cook pork with fruit. Sometimes tucked in, as cav has described with the calves liver - sometimes marinated in a fruity compote, and then grilled, sometimes laying on top of fruit and simmered, or under fruit and smothered. Apples/oranges/apples and cranberries/pears/peaches with booze.

Buy some chunky applesauce (or make your own quickly), put in a bit of calvados, mix in some cranberries - put the fruit in the bottom of a saucepan - put the pork on top - put some more calvados (or apple juice if you're not a booze fan) on top - a bit of salt/pepper/rosemary/roasted garlic. Let it go, on not too high a heat. Easy, juicy, tender and yummy. (just the way the bear likes you :wink: )
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:41 am
Oh yeah, sauteeing them with apples, herbs and calvados would be wicked. I've done that too. Once I made a marinade from dried apricots, just cooked briefly to plump and soften, pureed with some nice vinegar, olive oil, herbs, spices and a touch of chipotle pepper, and marinated some pork tenderloin in it, roasted it really hot, 450 degrees, until done but still juicy. Again, I can see it working for boneless chops too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:42 am
I thought Calvados was a French WoMD . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:44 am
Well, typically, because it's French, throw on a little heat and it surrenders.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:46 am
mmmmmmm apricots
there have been some great apricots at the markets lately
and i've been lovin' chipotle since lil k turned me on to it

hmmmmm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:54 am
Fresh apricots would do fine as well, with no cooking, exepct a blanching to peel. Or....puree them really really well with the skins on.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:03 am
MMM! That sounds delicious. What seasonings would I use with fruit / apricots? Rosemary? Thyme? Basil? I have the individual ones, but never sure how to mix them, what goes with what.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:05 am
carroway, used sparingly, either nutmeg (blah, pesonally) or mace, but i would not use the "green" spices . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:07 am
Marinade the steaks with/in paprika, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme for some days (3-5) in the fridge.

Then, cook them on the grill or broil in the oven.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:12 am
Well, I would follow Set's advice on not using green 'spices', as in dried herbs. I would say go fresh rosemary with a little fresh thyme, just chopped up, and a touch of fresh garlic if you want, but make sure you have enough kick from the chipotles to balance the strong herbal flavours. Carroway, nah, a touch of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, but sparingly, would add a bit of finesse. Or, if you have garam masala or Chinese five spice powder, just a pinch will do ya there. Think about it this way: the apricots will provide your sweetness, the chipotles the spice, the vinegar (good white wine vinegar or rice vinegar) the acidity, the olive oil the texture and mouth feel. The rest are accents, to be done to your taste.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:27 am
How 'bout you all just show up around 5:00 and we'll do a cook-off? :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:34 am
Nahh...it would take me too long to get there, and I trust your instincts. Wink
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 12:32 pm
here's what I do
I like easy recipes. Sear the meat and throw into adequately-sized roaster, cover with cream of mushroom soup, two cups of water and a cup of milk. Put in oven and slow cook for 3-4 hours.

(If you are making all six pork steaks and they are large, you might want to use two cans of cream of mushroom soup and add more liquid to adequately cover the steaks in the roaster--it may take more time than noted to adequately slow cook to mouth-watering tenderness. I'm used to cooking for two...not six! LOL)

If you have room in the roaster, you can add peeled potato slices and carrots.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:13 pm
That all sounds sooooo good!

Squinney
What time should I be there? I'll make a blueberry pie :-D
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:16 pm
<Drools> Blueberry pie....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:41 pm
With wild blueberries even ;-)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:42 pm
Even better Montana. I'll make the whipped cream.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:43 pm
Oh yeah!!! Now you're talkin :-D
0 Replies