Kung Fu Flix

dauer

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:08 am
Can anyone suggest some really good Kung Fu movies? I saw The Buddhist Fist on TV and loved it. To me the choreography was creative, but I don't know if this is the case or if I am just unfamiliar with the genre. I loved the comedy mixed into this film. The variety of styles was awesome too.

Dauer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,954 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:59 am
Ong-bak is a Thai film with goof fight scenes, even though I am not sure whether you could call it a "kung fu" film.
0 Replies

roserosegungun

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:23 pm
do you like chinese Kung Fu?
i like "the story of a police " by Jacky Chen
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:25 pm
"Drunken Master," and "Lady Snowblood," are my 2 all-time favorites!!!!!

DM is an early Jackie Chan movie, and LS was totally ripped off by Quentin Tarantino when he made "Kill Bill." DM is funny, LS is poignant and sad, but she a woman you grow to care for throughout the movie. I think it is my favorite female protagonist in film, ever. It plays out like a film haiku.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:31 pm
I saw an old Jackie Chan movie once and I remember very little about it. But at the end he convinced the people to fight for the village and they were all shot down by the government. I don't remember the name of it. I thought it was an okay movie, but not compared to Buddhist Fist.

I don't have much of a vocabulary for the names of these films because I really haven't seen many. I used to read an index of movies sometimes and I remember there were some with real Shaolin in them that sounded decent.

I love inventive martial arts sequences, and ones that juggle different styles. Humor helps, but it's not a requisite.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:32 pm
Bruce Lee .. anything.
If you like 'new' kung-fu style movies, I really enjoyed the fight scenes in Croutching tiger hidden dragon. Awesome effects and a pretty good story behind it all to. But, that may not be the style you are hunting for.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:41 pm
No, Swnm. I'm looking older. Bruce Lee, possibly yes. Crouching Tiger, no.

princess pupule, I'll make sure to look into both of those films. They sound familiar.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:54 pm
There are 2 versions of "Drunken Master." 1st one made is so damn funny I just about bust a gut! The 2nd has better action scenes, but wasn't as funny. Then Lady Snowblood is in a class all by itself. If they don't have it at a video store near you, consider signing up w/netflix: that's where I rented it. I'm still haunted by that movie, and saw it at least a month ago... It makes Quentin Tarantino's ripoffs pale, and I loved KBV1 when I first saw it...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:21 am
I don't agree that "Kill Bill I and II" are ripoffs -- entirely different plotline and outcome. Tarentino said he wanted to pay homage to the genre of Kung Fu and I think he succeeded. The actors even in the more serious scenes looked like they were really enjoying the filmmaking process which is what Tarentino is all about. There is nothing, repeat nothing, entirely original about any film after nearly 20,000 or so movies in the can over the last 100 plus years. The depth of the charaterizations in "Kill Bill II" is evolutionary.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:56 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I don't agree that "Kill Bill I and II" are ripoffs -- entirely different plotline and outcome. Tarentino said he wanted to pay homage to the genre of Kung Fu and I think he succeeded. The actors even in the more serious scenes looked like they were really enjoying the filmmaking process which is what Tarentino is all about. There is nothing, repeat nothing, entirely original about any film after nearly 20,000 or so movies in the can over the last 100 plus years. The depth of the charaterizations in "Kill Bill II" is evolutionary.

Well, honestly, I haven't seen KBV2, but KBV1 has major chunks ripped right straight from LS: same song, same story themes, violence is similarly gory, etc. etc. The only thing missing was the social commentary aspect of LS(QT replaced it w/humor, believe it or not Laughing), and a friend of mine who saw both KBs said the social commentary part is in V2, and there is less violence. I am eager to see it now that it has been released...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 04:06 pm
It's really one movie seperated into two parts and Tarentino admitted the first film was highly influenced by the Hong Kong Kung Fu school of filmmaking. Again, there's nothing really original about LS either.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 01:40 pm
You need to watch the classics. Some of the best are:

"Fist of the White Lotus"
and
"Five Deadly Venoms"
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:44 am
I THINK KB2 is better
much smarter and less crazy than KB1
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:53 am
We just got KB2 on DVD, and I would have been happy to watch the whole saga as one movie, as Tarantino intended. I'm certain a box set, director's cut, and all will be availible by Christmas.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:56 am
i am also glad to see a chinese Kungfu shifu in the film.
but the actor who acted him is only 40 around
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:59 am
John-Bush wrote:
i am also glad to see a chinese Kungfu shifu in the film.
but the actor who acted him is only 40 around

He was my favourite character. I studied some Shaolin years ago (I didn't get very far, but I met my wife at the school), so that whole scene with him really made me laugh.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:03 am
Cavfancier:

do you know Taiji?

that the real Chinese Kungfu
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:05 am
I don't know Taiji. How is it translated? I might know it in English, or not, lol.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:05 am
Tai Chi, maybe? If so, yes, I do know it. That's what my wife was studying at the school, Yang style.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:06 am
yeah Tai Chi
0 Replies