Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 11 May, 2016 12:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
...oh boy I love these brilliant kind of think tanks....accountants with 1 neuron !
I say frack the Brits and get the frack out. Uneducated and loud the Brit common folk mob doesn't have a clue on what waits them in less then 50 years...Freaking stupidity in macro form all over the Brit mania with the EU. Seriously get the **** out NOW, you should be expelled without appeal and an embargo to Brit products should be enforced all over Europe. I 've had enough with Brit sheer short term stupidity ! **** let the Indians and Pakys take care of their damn country... now get me on probation !!!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 11 May, 2016 12:46 pm
Durão Barroso is a second degree cousin with my wife...Had I been on he's shoes I would be moving mountains of influence to get the Brits out discretely by making them want out... and letting Turkey in in spite of all the boldness such a step would need...
(We don't need the Brits for **** ! I prefer Deutsch technology anyway.)
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 11 May, 2016 01:06 pm
We need a Federation in Europe for yesterday, to get it we have to get rid of the Brits as soon as possible and let some other countries in to expand the economy. Turkey is promising for its size and its relations with the middle east.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 11 May, 2016 01:14 pm
Lacking a strong cohesive Federation is the first reason why Europe is an untapped power...we lack Leadership capable of facing hard choices.
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 11 May, 2016 01:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
...we also need to deal with our natural American allies from a Federation to Federation standing point. As equals and with mutual interests. As for Brits why don't the Americans get one more state eh ? Buy it like you did with Texas...the Queen would ad some charm to your country.
Lordyaswas

Wed 11 May, 2016 01:43 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Where do you hail from, fil?

One of the powerhouse economies that are allowing the euro to bankrupt the poorer members? Or one of the so called 'basket case' economies who have to suffer absolute and total austerity combined with a certain amount of humiliation, just to hang on to the coat tails of your powerful neighbours?

If you hail from a basket case, what currently is the percentage rate of unemployment among your young?

If you can't find the figures, Walt will no doubt supply the necessary numbers.

Greece, Spain and Portugal are suffering absolutely horrendous levels of unemployment. Even higher among their young, and that is why those young are leaving.
Ireland went through a mass exodus when their massive euro induced financial bubble burst.
The basket cases are now experiencing the same.

The next question you need to ask is:

What percentage youth unemployment does Germany currently have?

Now, why is it exactly that being in the EU is good for your country?
What has been the effect on the prospects of the young workforce since you joined up. How have they fared overall?
Better? Worse?

We (UK) were vilified for not joining the Euro. It has turned out to be the best thing we ever did.

Even within the UK, there were many, many experts telling us at the time that we were doomed to poverty if we didn't join the euro. The world would cast us aside, and all business investment would scurry away to the eurozone, leaving us destitute, isolated and humiliated.

THEY WERE ALL UTTERLY WRONG.

The reverse has happened. Last year, the UK had more growth than the whole eurozone combined.

It is now the same hysterical scenario with brexit.

We are doomed.
We will be destitute, isolated and humiliated.

Basically, these people have crawled out of the woodwork again. I woukd have thought that the idiots who are now chucking insults and scaremongering would have just stopped for a second and considered their pathetic arguments for joining the euro.

The only reason (apart from those who greatly benefit from the EU gravy train) I can see for those twits (who were and are still quoted as experts) to carry on with this scaremongering farce is that they are genuinely scared of being out of the collective.

The status quo is always the easiest option.

Baaaa.

Proper democracy, to me, is worth much more than paying into a club and being good boys and girls, in the full knowlege that the club will eventually take over from our elected lawmakers.

saab

Wed 11 May, 2016 01:58 pm
Swedes voted against the Euro and are now happy they are not in.
The trust in EU is sinking in Sweden.
When I see the Danish statistic about EU and Euro the Danes seems to be for it.
When I read papers and letters to the editor there is an awful lot of criticism to EU. Often people want out.
I have a feeling, that aggression between the EU countries has grown over the years. Sweden is so divided as it has not been since the days of Olof Palme.
We need UK in EU, but I do not think we needed EU at all. And we certainly do not need a President of the United Europe.
Lordyaswas

Wed 11 May, 2016 01:58 pm
@Lordyaswas,
PORTUGAL YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT.

http://cdn.tradingeconomics.com/charts/portugal-youth-unemployment-rate.png?s=portugalyouunerat&v=201605062212n

30.7% youth unemployment in Jan 2016.

30.7%

Here are three more for you........

Spain 45.3%

Greece 48.9%

Italy 39.1%

So remind me again as to why the EU is so good for everyone?

By the way, Germany comes out as 6.9%.

Click link to see graph for youth unemployment across the eu.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/266228/youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 11 May, 2016 08:26 pm
@Lordyaswas,
..oh dear...China is coming and no freaking train is gona stop it. I want at least delay it. As expected you and your numbers look at short term linear analysis.
I for one am fed up with the 2000 years of no ending tribalism in Europe and want consolidation. The world will get a lot worse from climate change to population overgrowth to increase cost on basic stuff and you guys only think in 5-10 years span. My idea of future looks far ahead. Yes there are some sacrifices in between. You want to fault unemployment and the death of middle class on a strong EU ? short sighted common sense analysis I say...Fault the damned off shores and the freaking incapacity this planet has of making International Law a serious business. We are a bunch of monkeys !
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 11 May, 2016 10:34 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
We need UK in EU, but I do not think we needed EU at all. And we certainly do not need a President of the United Europe.
Now country actually was ever forced to join the EU or one of the forerunner organisations.
And when they joined, they not only should have read the treaties but have got what was/is the idea behind such a united Europe.

I can't think of any organisation, association,company or similar which works without a 'president'.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 11 May, 2016 10:38 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I'm not sure what the EU has to do with national youth unemployment - are calling for an all-included government by the EU now?

It's done here in Germany on state-level. So any 'Germany-numbers' don't say a lot - we even look in our state at district level ....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 11 May, 2016 10:53 pm
@Lordyaswas,
It should be noted as well that the UK has only met two of five of the Euro convergence criteria before being granted approval to adopt the euro.
Quote:
http://i67.tinypic.com/xdba5w.jpg

Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 11 May, 2016 11:08 pm
More generally.
I always have problems to understand the question "what do I get out of it" related to insurances, co-operations etc ... and to the EU.
But that's more a personal problem, due to my different understanding of 'community'.
Regarding the EU: I grew up with the idea of a 'united Europe'. And I was and are happy that the European Economic Community (EEC) of 1957 became finally the EU in 1993 rsp. 2009.
0 Replies

saab

Wed 11 May, 2016 11:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
When I said a President of the United Europe - I meant EU being one country.
Everybody joined on volontary basis, but at that time it was a small group and people did not know how it was going to develope. EU has not become that what the common person wanted or thought it was going to be.
It is a bit much to ask people to read everything in the treaties - that was up to the politicians who did not tell everything.
roger

Thu 12 May, 2016 12:37 am
@saab,
Sounds like a used car salesman "You should have read the contract".
Lordyaswas

Thu 12 May, 2016 12:45 am
From today's Telegraph......

Italy looks like it's going down the pan......

Italy must choose between the euro and its own economic survival

Relevant snippets from article......

"Italy is running out of economic time. Seven years into an ageing global expansion, the country is still stuck in debt-deflation and still grappling with a banking crisis that it cannot combat within the paralyzing constraints of monetary union.

"We have lost nine percentage points of GDP since the peak of the crisis, and a quarter of our industrial production," says Ignazio Visco, the rueful governor of the Banca d'Italia.

Each year Rome hopefully pencils in a fall in the ratio of public debt to GDP, and each year the ratio rises. The reason is always the same. Deflationary conditions prevent nominal GDP rising fast enough to outgrow the debt......"

And alluding to the youth unemployment that I raised a few posts back....

"The youth jobless rate is 65pc in Calabria, 56pc in Sicily, and 53pc in Campania, despite an exodus of 100,000 a year from the *Mezzogiorno - often in the direction of London....."

Link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/11/italy-must-chose-between-the-euro-and-its-own-economic-survival/

*Mezzogiorno = Southern Italy.
0 Replies

saab

Thu 12 May, 2016 01:11 am
@roger,
Swedens basic laws are 4 (four) and is about 1 1/2 page.
I read someplace the EUs basic laws are over 400 pages. I think it was the Maastrich. Do think that even the politicians really were reading all that???One could borrow it over the library to read.
There you have the used car salesman at his worst.
saab

Thu 12 May, 2016 01:41 am
@saab,
Denmark´s basic law is under 10 pages and UK does not even have one.
Everything is written in one language as a rule.
Within EU everything is written in 28 languages. Imagen how many translater you have to work for you.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 12 May, 2016 01:57 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
I read someplace the EUs basic laws are over 400 pages.
The EU doesn't have a basic law nor a constitution, whatever you'd read somewhere.

The Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe (TCE) has never been ratified but was signed in Rome on 29 October 2004.

The Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe
consist about 484 pages - which is, in my opinion, rather shortfor a complex treaty between 27 countries and referring to all possible (and impossible) features. The Treaty of Co-operation between Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden (the Helsinki Treaty) has just eight pages, but is only " culture, and of legal and social philosophy, and to extend the scale of co-operation between the Nordic countries". And it just says, what the "High Contracting Parties" should do, not how it should/would/is be done.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 12 May, 2016 02:06 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Within EU everything is written in 28 languages. Imagen how many translater you have to work for you.
How would you deal differently when you have 28 official languages? (Danish is an official minority language in Schleswig-Holstein, the two Sorbian languages in regions of Brandenburg and Saxony = everything official has to be translated there.)