Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Lash

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 02:29 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Lots of Undecideds?
Tes yeux noirs

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 02:58 pm
@Lash,
Changes in brackets are compared to the previous survey four weeks ago:

Remain 42% (+3)
Leave 41% (-2)
Don't know 14% (-4)

Yes, I know they don't equal exactly 100%. Looks like most of those who were undecided 4 weeks ago are now in favour of Remain, and some Leaves have switched.

oralloy

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 03:02 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
29% who think it would do better if the UK voted to leave.

Why would anyone at all think that the UK would be better off outside the EU???
Tes yeux noirs

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 05:22 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Why would anyone at all think that the UK would be better off outside the EU???

Plenty of stupid people around.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 05:24 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thank you. Do you have any sympathy for those Brits who feel dramatically removed from the direction of their own country?
Tes yeux noirs

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 05:33 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Do you have any sympathy for those Brits who feel dramatically removed from the direction of their own country?

Of course not, because I don't see it their way.
Lash

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 05:41 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
You do realize you just made doves cry?
0 Replies

Foofie

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 07:00 pm
Does staying in the EU have the possibility of effecting the Commonwealth nations down the road, as the EU has the potential to become a federalization of the member nations? Would this be a form of political/economic polyandry for Mother England?
Walter Hinteler

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 10:52 pm
@Foofie,
There's no problem with the Communauté française, the Comunidade dos Países de Língua Portuguesa and even the relations with the Crown dependencies aren't disturbed (only certain aspects of the EU apply there).

Republican ideas or the tendency to kick off the queen as head of state aren't really EU-related.
Setanta

Sun 1 May, 2016 03:06 am
The United Kingdom is a monarchy in name only. Functionally, it is already a republic.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 1 May, 2016 06:34 am
@Setanta,
The UK is parliamentary constitutional monarchy. (One of the differences to a republic is for instance that you don't have a hereditary head of states in republics.)
Foofie

Sun 1 May, 2016 03:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

There's no problem with the Communauté française, the Comunidade dos Países de Língua Portuguesa and even the relations with the Crown dependencies aren't disturbed (only certain aspects of the EU apply there).

Republican ideas or the tendency to kick off the queen as head of state aren't really EU-related.

You are not talking about the Commonwealth nations that trade with the UK (which is all I talked about). You are misconstruing what I said completely. I never mentioned the Queen nor Republican ideas.

Please be kind, and not reply to my posts. English is your second language, and you do not seem to interpret my posts correctly.
Tes yeux noirs

Sun 1 May, 2016 04:17 pm
More stupid bollocks from the troll Foofie, as we have come to expect. I at least, interpret her posts correctly. As trash.

Walter Hinteler

Sun 1 May, 2016 10:57 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
You are not talking about the Commonwealth nations that trade with the UK (which is all I talked about). You are misconstruing what I said completely. I never mentioned the Queen nor Republican ideas.
I did.
Queen Elizabeth II is the Head of the Commonwealth.
Members of the Commonwealth of Nations are "are united by language, history, culture and their shared values of democracy, human rights, and the rule of law".
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 2 May, 2016 01:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's the only difference, and it's meaningless. Governance proceeds from laws, not from the monarch. Law proceeds from the res publica, the "public thing," not from the will of an individual. The last time any monarch attempted to impose his will was with William IV in 1831, when he refused a large creation of peers at the request of Earl Grey, and called on Wellington to form a government. Wellington was unable to do so, Lord Grey formed a government, and the Lords caved in rather than see such a creation of peers.

Functionally, Great Britain is a republic.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 2 May, 2016 06:31 am
@Setanta,
The present Queen governs, but only according to the rules or conventions laid down by an elected Parliament and its Government ("Royal prerogative").
Foofie

Mon 2 May, 2016 03:19 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

More stupid bollocks from the troll Foofie, as we have come to expect. I at least, interpret her posts correctly. As trash.

You are correct. I should not give a damn what Britain does. They have become the non-sequitur many have prayed for, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 May, 2016 03:05 am
Could Brexit be the best thing for Europe’s wildlife?
Quote:
[...]
Sure, our own natural habitats might suffer if we left Europe. Our wildlife, hardly any of it particularly novel or endemic, would undoubtedly decline and we might go back to being the “dirty man of Europe”. But maybe the EU would get more done without us and a whole continent of wildlife would thrive and the Earth would be the better for it. After years of frustration with this current government, I’m actually entertaining crazy ideas like these. A tiny part of me is considering Brexit, in order to help Europe do more for wildlife.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 9 May, 2016 03:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Little Miss Can't Be Wrong--the Queen doesn't govern anything outside her own household and employees. You're living in some European monarchist fantasy land.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 11 May, 2016 12:24 pm
Is the EU really dictating the shape of your bananas
Quote:
But how fair are his claims?
There was outcry in some parts of the press in 2014 about what was described as an EU ban on certain kinds of about 30 different electrical appliances – including vacuum cleaners, kettles, toasters and lawnmowers.

The ban is on appliances that use too much energy: for vacuum cleaners, for example, the maximum input power has been 1,600 Watts since 2014 and will be 900W from September 2017.

It is aimed at increasing energy efficiency – producing more effective vacuum cleaners that use less electricity. Similar rules introduced two decades ago for white goods mean fridges and freezers, for example, now use about one-third less electricity than they did then.

Vacuum cleaner makers backed the new rules when the industry was consulted before their introduction. And far from Britain “being told” how powerful vacuum cleaners could be, the UK government actively supported the measures and, like every member state, could have blocked them if it wanted to.

Quote:
The claim that EU regulations cost British businesses £600m a week comes from the thinktank Open Europe, which calculated that the 100 most expensive EU rules cost UK companies and the public sector £33.3bn a year.

But as the InFacts website points out, the same study also found that quantifiable benefits from these rules were worth about £58.6bn a year, or £1.1bn a week: a net gain of about £487m a week.