Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 12:54 pm
@saab,
We've got more than 500 mineral water producers, each with several different sources in Germany and 34 "Heilwasser"* ("medical mineral water").

* I remember that you could get some of those on prescription (= free) in the 50's.

In hospitals, the free drink is mineral water - sparkling, medium sparkling and still, usually from the next source (we've got dozens within a range of 30km)
cicerone imposter

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 01:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I didn't know this before, but our water comes from Texas.
http://www.townofsunnyvale.org/DocumentCenter/View/3108
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 01:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
* I remember that you could get some of those on prescription (= free) in the 50's.

People have been 'taking the cure' at spas for centuries - Evian for example, now a big bottled water brand.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 01:29 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I live in spa town (but I wouldn't drink that water - too salty, the two sources are thermal-brine)

[The history of the mineral thermal therapeutic spa began in the year 1900 with by mistake: at that time the people here assumed hard coal in its soil. But with test drillings they found the warm thermal salt sources, which are the strongest sources of brine in Germany.]
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 08:56 am
@saab,
Not everyone has good tap water, saab. I wouldn't drink ours here in southern California. It just tastes terrible and I buy bottled water for that reason. Assuming because yours taste good, doesn't mean it applies to others too.
saab

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 09:06 am
@CalamityJane,
Our tab water is absolutely clean - it is soft water and has a taste of freshness.
There are 1500 test of the water on yearly basis to check it is ok.
Because of the freshness in our water I have difficulties with bottled water and its often for me stale taste.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 09:08 am
@CalamityJane,
Actually, the name of a German mineral water is the name of American soda varieties ... seltzer (Selters is the oldest German mineral water source).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 09:14 am
@saab,
Well, "bottled water" isn't sold very much - even Coca-Cola now sells mineral water instead of 'table water' (they bought Apolinaris, owning now about 40 different mineral water sources).
saab

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 09:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I meant mineral water
The bottled/mineral water without "bubbles" is not much of a pleasure.
But there are of course places where I would prefer mineral water. When, then San Pellegrino
Walter Hinteler

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 09:50 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
When, then San Pellegrino
That's a mineral water with only a low content of minerals. (445 mg sulfate, but only 179 mg calcium and 52 mg magnesium - very similar to Selters but that has only 20 mg sulfate.)
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 10:12 am
Quote:
even Coca-Cola now sells mineral water instead of 'table water'

There was a big scandal (if you can call it that) in Britain in 2004 after Coca-Cola introduced a brand of bottled water called Dasani to Britain. It had become the 2nd most popular brand in the US since introduction in 1999. The problem came when it was made clear that Dasani was just the municipal tap water supplied to the factory at Sidcup in south east London, allegedly 'triple filtered' and "remineralised" (This is also how Dasani is made in the US).

When Trading Standards officers found traces of bromate (a suspected carcinogen) in British Dasani, the company recalled half a milion bottles, pulled the brand from the British market and cancelled plans to launch in France and Germany.

Later, some supermarkets, Tesco and Asda were caught selling similar products under their own brands.

A faulre to their cultural homework on the part of Coca-Cola didn't do them any favours, either. At launch the UK website redirected to the US website which displayed an animation containing tag lines such as "Can’t live without spunk" and "Bottled spunk". I don't have to explain to British readers why that would not encourage many people here to take a big gulp of Dasani, and why it became widely known and talked about.

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 10:20 am
So now, maybe, because of the Leave vote, we'll be at risk of being forced to drink bottled American spunk? Thanks a f***ing bunch, Leave campaign!

PS. I want my bloody country back!
Walter Hinteler

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 11:20 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Llanllyr Source - would support the unity, not only football related!
Walter Hinteler

Sun 3 Jul, 2016 07:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
'Boris was blown up by a political psychopath but it was Mrs Gove who detonated the bomb'
Quote:
[...] Michael Gove knifed Boris Johnson in the back and in the front, pushed him under a bus, ran over him several times (thank you Piers Morgan for this image) and then declared he was running for the leadership himself. ... ... ...

Brexit means Brexit. At some point Article 50 will be invoked. And never again listen to what a politician says. Watch what he or she does.

Gove was well known to be an ideological ninja, with his posters of Che Guevara and Chairman Mao on his wall, but when it came to the top job he was an avowed cleanskin.

He had no leadership ambitions. After all, he’d said so many times: ‘If anyone wants me to sign a piece of parchment in my own blood saying I don’t want to be PM I’m happy to do that.’

‘I’m not equipped to be PM. I don’t want to be PM.’

‘I am an inconceivable choice. I don’t want to do it. I wouldn’t do it. It wouldn’t matter how many people asked me to do it,’ etc, etc…

And then, on Thursday, he executed the most egregious reverse ferret and act of treachery in modern political history since… well, let’s just say since Michael Gove backed Brexit against the wishes of his good friend David Cameron.[...]

But Gove sais patriotism and principles led him to turn on Boris Johnson and David Cameron
Walter Hinteler

Mon 4 Jul, 2016 12:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Lord Flight (Chairman of Flight & Partners Recovery Fund, and a former Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury) writes that staying in/joining the EEA would be the best ... and that "a tough negotiating team" should include Nigel Farage.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 4 Jul, 2016 01:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
And UK's Chancellor George Osborne told the "Financial Times" that he was planning to cut corporate tax to less than 15 percent from 20 percent at present in an attempt to offset the shock to investors after the country's decision to leave the European Union.

A rate of under 15 percent would compare with an average of about 25 percent among other nations in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Developmen.
Reuters reported that the OECD had said it believed a further cut in corporate tax in Britain would "really turn the UK into a tax-haven type of economy."
Walter Hinteler

Mon 4 Jul, 2016 04:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Farange resigned as Ukip leader (“My aim in being in politics was to get Britain out of the European Union. That is what we voted for in that referendum two weeks ago, and that is why I now feel that I've done my bit, that I couldn't possibly achieve more than we managed to get in that referendum.")
And a group of businesses has launched a legal challenge to prevent the Government from launching Brexit without a formal Act of Parliament.

There had been more regarding the Conservative (and Labour) leadership as well.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 4 Jul, 2016 07:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Since their is no plan but (new and different) ideas are coming on hourly basis ...

My guess:
May as PM will set up a new government department, working tirelessly on the mechanics of leaving (costing a great deal of money) which will run for 6-9 months until people get fed up with the whole idea and the Establishment comes up with some fudge as to why it would be better to remain. (Which is how May voted on 23rd June!)
Tes yeux noirs

Mon 4 Jul, 2016 08:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
May as PM will set up a new government department, working tirelessly on the mechanics of leaving (costing a great deal of money) which will run for 6-9 months until people get fed up with the whole idea and the Establishment comes up with some fudge as to why it would be better to remain. (Which is how May voted on 23rd June!)

Yes. This is what I expect too. A classic British (English) political compromise. You could see it coming from the day after the vote.

If you are stabbed by different nationalities:

An American stabs you in the chest, like a man, and says "I did it for freedom!"

A Frenchman weeps as he does it, also in the chest, and says "I did it pour la France !"

A Soviet Russian (in the chest) says "I did it for the workers of the world!"

A German (sorry, Walter) in the chest and says "I did it for the Fatherland!"

An Englishman stabs you in the back, sneaks away, and 6 months later says "Knife? What knife?".

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 4 Jul, 2016 09:34 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I like Gerolsteiner and San Pellegrino myself.. for their mineral content; plus, I like the taste of them.

There may be better ones - I remember being given a binder with pages and pages of mineral waters listed by a cameriera in a restaurant in Viterbo. I was astonished, at the time. They listed all the minerals for each water source.
0 Replies