Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Builder

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Due to Roopurt Mudroch's stranglehold on Australia's print and television media, we're getting the old "trickle-down" BS from our pretend representatives here. The federal election on the 2nd of July will see both major parties giving eachother preferential votes (switching the intention of voters, IOW) to keep out the minor parties and independents.

Very interesting neoliberal times, we're living in.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:35 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I'll read up on Boris, but pulling away from top-heavy layers of distant non-representational bureaucracy is a strike against neoliberalism- no matter what Boris may have said.
That really is something I don't understand.
We don't elect our civil servants here nor it is done in the UK.

If that was the reason - fine. I don't think it will change. So they really should go on with the Brexit procedure fast.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:56 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Very interesting neoliberal times, we're living in.

The facts were different, but voters believed them - now, Leave campaign rows back on key immigration and NHS pledges.
Builder

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 12:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Can you deny that there's a general mistrust of the governments in Europe (and the US and Australia) Walter?

Say one thing, while doing another? Imposing austerity measures on workers, while doling out money for invasions et al?

We've just had fifty billion wiped from the hospital funds, while granting a contract to France to build a dozen submarines for fifty billion. The largest ocean liner on the planet only cost one billion. And we're not at war with anyone.

The people are tired of the BS that passes for government these days.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 12:19 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Can you deny that there's a general mistrust of the governments in Europe (and the US and Australia) Walter?
Certainly that's true.
And some populists just use these feelings ... to do the same afterwards what they actually opposed.

It's a play for power. And we are the puppets in it.
Builder

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 12:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
And some populists just use these feelings ... to do the same afterwards what they actually opposed.

They really hate social media. While attempting to use it as a political platform, their past keeps coming back to haunt them. People who get blocked from a politician's page are free to start their own hate page, which, of course, doesn't look good on their search criteria. Very interesting times indeed.

Quote:
It's a play for power. And we are the puppets in it.

But can you feel the worm turning, Walter? Certainly there's no shortage of uniformed fixated loyalists out there, but the swinging voter is what the establishment is frightened of today.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 12:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The EU contract cited a two-year process for leaving, as I've read.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 12:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I've thought a lot about polusts are so ... popular now in Europe, why Brexit could happen ...

Generally, we feel quite okay with our life here. But looking at society in general, we suddenly feel being in darkest gloom.
There's a huge gap between individual experiences and social sense.

Then these populist come, fill the gap by increasing it with drawing a caricature of foreign infiltration, foreign rule, and injustice.
Don't listen to the warnings of experts! The elites exploit you anyway only! Use common sense!

Big promises, harsh reality - the populism cycle.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 12:40 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The EU contract cited a two-year process for leaving, as I've read.
Article 50. For leaving, yes. [And during that period, the UK still is a full member country.] Not for a new mini-membership or something like that - such starts afterwards, lasts something like seven to ten years.
Builder

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 12:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Then these populist come, fill the gap by increasing it with drawing a caricature of foreign infiltration, foreign rule, and injustice.
Don't listen to the warnings of experts! The elites exploit you anyway only! Use common sense!

Have you heard of "disaster capitalism" Walter? They create a problem, present a solution, and claim victory afterwards.

Naomi Klein documented the rise of disaster capitalism, later called neoliberalism, and documented the history of its passage through several nations, Britain included.

Called the Shock Doctrine. Here's the full documentary, in case you missed it.

Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:13 am
@Builder,
Who spoke up for Remain? The prime minister, the Labour party, the Liberal Democrats, Greens and SNP, the TUC, the CBI, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Angela Merkel and the Archbishop of Canterbury, plus every major economic forecasting unit on Earth.

And for Leave? A few Tory cabinet ministers and Labour dissidents, with no major economic authority to back their broad-brush optimism, a handful of major industrialists along for the ride, the former mayor of London and, of course, Ukip.

Remember that only 14 months ago, on the general election hustings, concern about the EU was only the seventh most important issue in voters’ minds (according to Ipsos Mori)? And at the 2010 general election it didn’t even figure.
Builder

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Who spoke up for Remain?

I think you're missing my point, Walter. The people have lost faith completely in all of those people you've listed. The "system" has let them down repeatedly; lied to them repeatedly; indebted them needlessly repeatedly; and ignored their needs repeatedly.

This is a system that cannot sustain itself, without putting people into a position of imposed austerity, while the people you mention live the high life.

It's the people, Walter. Aren't you one of them?
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:40 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
It's the people, Walter. Aren't you one of them?
I am. But I can read. And I know a bit of history.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Besides that, "we are the people" leaves a bad taste in my mouth since a couple of months due to the xenophobic demonstrations of the extreme right here ... with signs calling to hang politicians ...
Builder

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Were you there on the spot? The media has a bias that is shared by their corporate controllers. I have no doubt that there's a strong xenophobic presence in British society that has been evident for decades. They made a few sitcoms about the Haitian and Trinidadian immigrants, poking fun at the proles,

I'm yet to be convinced that the leave pundits were purely xenophobic in origin.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 03:16 am
@Builder,
I wasn't focusing with my response to the UK - the "here" means where I live (Germany). It was just a personal rant.
Builder

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 03:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Germany has many social programs in place, and is a hub of commercial and industrial activity.

Do you believe that the prosperity of your nation should be shared with other nations under the EU banner, who don't share Germany's active prosperity?
Tes yeux noirs

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 03:30 am
@Builder,
Quote:
They made a few sitcoms about the Haitian and Trinidadian immigrants, poking fun at the proles,

Really? I haven't seen any. Give some titles.
Builder

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 03:41 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
Really? I haven't seen any. Give some titles.

You can watch a few here.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 04:23 am
Ok, I'll give you 'Love Thy Neighbour". I didn't know there were Haitians in it.