Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 06:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The UK will loose the London-based EU medicines agency EMA, which really means quite a disadvantage, both for the EU as well as especially for the UK.

Europe's new Unified Patent Court will have to move from London before it even opens, not really a problem.

The other EU agency based in Britain, the European Banking Authority (EBA), can move to Frankfurt/M.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 07:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's somehow peculiar funny:
Quote:
Electoral services workers have reported calls from people asking if they could change their decision after Friday’s result became clear, while some publicly admitted they intended to use a “protest vote” in the belief the UK would remain the European Union.

The anxiety – dubbed “Bregret” – emerged as the value of the pound tumbled and the markets crashed, while others felt betrayed by Nigel Farage’s admission that a Vote Leave poster pledging to spend millions of pounds supposedly given to the EU on the NHS was a “mistake”.
Source

And Cornwall votes for Brexit then pleads to keep EU funding
Quote:
The Cornish council has issued a plea for “protection” following the United Kingdom’s vote to leave the European Union.

Cornwall, which has a poor economy and as such has received millions of pounds in subsidies from the EU each year for over a decade, voted decisively to Leave.

John Pollard, the leader of Cornwall council said: “Now that we know the UK will be leaving the EU we will be taking urgent steps to ensure that the UK Government protects Cornwall’s position in any negotiations.
... ... ...
But a statement on the council website posted on Friday said prior to the referendum said the county was reassured by the Leave side that withdrawing from the EU would not affect the funding already allocated by Brussels.
[...]
In 2014,Jonathan Lindsell, author of a report on industries benefit from the EU, told the Western Morning News: “Cornwall is a major beneficiary of EU spending so if Britain were to leave then the Treasury would have to take great care in ensuring its local economy was not crippled as a result.

“Not only do Cornwall’s many farmers and fishermen benefit from the Common Agricultural Policy and Common Fisheries Policy respectively, but the county receives tens of millions of pounds a year in structural and convergence funds to support local economic growth and communities.

Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 07:24 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
It seems to me that Britain would militarily support members of the EU if asked.
Just as an aside: the UK never supported the Eurocorps nor the European Gendarmerie Force, the European Air Transport, or the European Maritime Force.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 08:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Meanwhile in Northern Ireland (here: Belfast main post office)

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hzgtqg.jpg
0 Replies

Kolyo

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Quote:
others felt betrayed by Nigel Farage’s admission that a Vote Leave poster pledging to spend millions of pounds supposedly given to the EU on the NHS was a "mistake "

Except that it wasn't a mistake. It was a calculated lie, just like his "admission".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:

What else did we get back? Definitely our financial arse, which was being handed to us way before the FTSE-100 even opened.
url=https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/leavers-take-control]Source[/url]

one of our neighbours is a money-market guy. kind of a big-wig

he told us the night before the vote that money was already being pulled from Britain

long-term? no one knows. Scotland and Northern Ireland aren't significant enough to pick up much of the money being pulled, though if they band together they'll get a bit more interest.

what are the Brits going to do when they have to sell their French/Portuguese/Spanish/Baltic homes and return to England? will the money they get allow them to buy decent places? good luck to them all
ehBeth

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

While UK's EU commissioner Lord Hill resignsed following Brexit vote - what about the other British EU-employees?

shouldn't they have to return to Britain? apply for residency and work visas in the countries they're interested in

I see no upside to delaying the implementation of changes like that. Close EU offices in Britain asap. Fire the Brit staff in EU offices in EU. Get things moving.

Might be that I'm used to the way our new Prime Minister is doing things - fast fast and double-time.
cicerone imposter

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:22 am
@ehBeth,
You know what happens when the market gets flooded with homes for sale. Some become ghost towns, and stay that way.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:33 am
@ehBeth,
I don't know how it works with British nationals. Most of the Germans have been civil servants here (federal or state). So they would return to their previous office.

I don't know about contracts with 'normal' employees - those might be temporary.
You can't fire them just because of the status of the home country in my opinion.

But this would happen only after the 'break' is official = two years after it has been officially demanded.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I am involved because i hae an opinion and a right to express it. I didn't ask you to comment on my post, you decided to do that all on your own. I didn't say the EU was defunct, but Britain is no longer united with the rest of Europe, at least not in that context.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:40 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
what are the Brits going to do when they have to sell their French/Portuguese/Spanish/Baltic homes and return to England? will the money they get allow them to buy decent places? good luck to them all
The only reason why they could have to sell their homes will be ... money.
Can they still get their pensions so easily? [Of course, my opinion.] Health insurance? [They have to buy one.] Residence permit? [No problem if they moved there some years ago.]
0 Replies

Blickers

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:51 am
@Setanta,
Quote Setanta:
Quote:
Britain has long-standing and reliable trade and financial arrangements with the United States. Britain has long-standing and reliable trade and financial arrangements with the other nations of the Commonwealth, and those arrangements date back to well before the EU was a gleam in its daddy's eye.

Very true. Not to mention that I don't recall anyone voting to stop trading with the EU, only to no longer be a member of the EU. It's obviously in the interests of both the EU and the UK to make the transition as smoothly as possible, and there has already been talk on the EU side of making special trade deals with the UK. The UK was never fully in the EU to begin with-they never adopted the Euro. With the various deals between the EU and the UK that are very likely to happen, the UK's relationship with the EU will be moving from never being fully in to not being fully out, tradewise.

Markets always react negatively in the short run to any event which carries with it any degree of uncertainty at all. I expect things to get back to near normal fairly soon-there is much less involved here than the press and various leaders are claiming.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:00 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A petition calling for a second EU referendum has attracted more than half a million signatures despite unprecedented demand crashing the website.
I do think that a "No" is a "No" and "Leave" is "Leave".
But it is really surprising (or not) that more than 1.2 million persons signed this petition in the last twelve hours:
http://i67.tinypic.com/21b69ax.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:02 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
but Britain is no longer united with the rest of Europe, at least not in that context.
It is. Nothing is official. And even after the UK-government sends the note to the the EU, it still takes two years until they left the EU.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:05 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
and there has already been talk on the EU side of making special trade deals with the UK.
What I have heard (by Junker, Schultz and others) sounded very differently - you've got have a link for this? (I just saw and heard both in the news again, and again different to what you wrote)
0 Replies

Blickers

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh, come on, Walter, in the computer age you can get a bunch of people to sign most anything. The deal is done, you admitted it. By the way, I have nothing against the EU, I think they have a proud record of supporting human rights and social progress and I expect they will keep on going successfully. But even you have posted that the UK was always demanding special this and special that, they were never really fully comfortable in that organization. Britain is not in Europe, they are an island just off the European continent and it shows.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:10 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Oh, come on, Walter, in the computer age you can get a bunch of people to sign most anything.
I know. That's how 'Brexit' started.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:12 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Britain is not in Europe, they are an island just off the European continent and it shows.

I've heard already 52 years ago in England that there a reason why God made a ditch between the European continent and the British Isles.
0 Replies

Blickers

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:18 am
Quote Walter:
Quote:
Well, my geography classes were 50 years ago. So my knowledge is antique.

My high school Spanish classes were decades ago as well, and we were reading a book of essays by a Spanish writer who was talking about the various European countries were looked up on the Europe as a whole. The British, he said, were off on an island by themselves, sort of part of Europe but also sort of not part of Europe at the same time. He was writing about culturally and socially as well. What we just saw reflects that.
0 Replies

Blickers

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:31 am
As for special deals for the UK with the EU, it was just a brief mention I read and I can't locate it. But here is something:
"Once Britain invokes Article 50, it will have a two-year window in which to negotiate a new treaty to replace the terms of EU membership. Britain and EU leaders would have to hash out issues like trade tariffs, migration, and the regulation of everything from cars to agriculture.

In the best-case scenario, Britain may be able to negotiate access to the European market that isn’t that different from what it has now. Norway is not a member of the EU, but it has agreed to abide by a number of EU rules in exchange for favorable access to the European Common Market."
http://www.vox.com/2016/6/23/12021222/brexit-what-happens-next

If you think it's in the interests of the EU to make the UK's departure as rough as possible as a caution to other nations if they decide to leave, fine. I think that the UK has more economic clout than Norway, and the EU will meet them at least halfway on most things.