Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:38 pm
@oralloy,
Well, at least it will be cheaper for us in the UK now. Wink

Walter Hinteler

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The day Brexit pushed the markets into freefalll
Quote:
Firstly, Britain is facing a political crisis. It is hard to see how David Cameron can survive the referendum result. George Osborne threatened to deliver an austerity budget if the electorate refused to listen to his warnings. The chancellor is unlikely to be around for long enough to deliver it.

Secondly, Britain is facing a constitutional crisis. Scotland voted decisively for remain, while England outside of London voted for leave. It will not be long before the Scottish National party is demanding another referendum so that an independent Scotland would be able to stay in the European Union.

Thirdly, Britain’s vote has massive implications for Europe. It will embolden other separatist movements across the continent and could lead to other countries voting to leave. Clearly, there will also be consequences for the eurozone, which dodged a bullet last year when Greece remained within monetary union. Brexit will have far bigger consequences, so watch shares in Germany and France tumble on Friday. The pound will fall much further against the dollar than it will against the wounded euro.

Fourthly, Britain now has to decide what sort of arrangement it wants to have with the EU. Does it want to remain part of the single market even if that means accepting free movement of labour? Or does it want to go for a complete go-it-alone approach, which would give the new government a freer hand on immigration?

The result speaks volumes about the state of modern Britain. For the better off, a vote to remain was the obvious thing to do. For the less well-off, a vote to leave was their chance to protest about badly paid jobs, zero-hour contracts, bullying employers, and a sense that they had been forgotten.
oralloy

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:42 pm

What happens with Greece? Although I guess the Eurozone and EU are two different things.

Is Cameron moving out of 10 Downing right now?
Walter Hinteler

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:50 pm
@oralloy,
There isn't a "Grexit". Greece is a member of the EU.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:51 pm
@oralloy,
If Cameron resigns, it would be correct to do so.
But the Conservative Party is now split in two halves as well. (Labour is split per se.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:55 pm

A Dutch politician is calling for a Dutch referendum on whether to leave the EU:
http://geertwilders.nl/index.php/94-english/1999-pvv-congratulates-british-with-independence-day
Walter Hinteler

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:57 pm
@oralloy,
What I've said: the right wings ....

0 Replies

Kolyo

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 11:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

Quote:

Fourthly, Britain now has to decide what sort of arrangement it wants to have with the EU. Does it want to remain part of the single market even if that means accepting free movement of labour? Or does it want to go for a complete go-it-alone approach, which would give the new government a freer hand on immigration?

It wants the same deal the US has with Mexico. Its corporations get to compete on an equal footing with Czech corporations in Prague, but the Czech Republic's professional class doesn't get to compete on an equal footing with British professionals in London.
oralloy

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 11:09 pm

The number of counted LEAVE votes has surpassed half of the total ballots cast.

Even if 100% of remaining ballots were all stay, leave would still win at this point.

http://twitter.com/PA/status/746206844335493121
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 11:18 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:
Its corporations get to compete on an equal footing with Czech corporations in Prague, but the Czech Republic's professional class doesn't get to compete on an equal footing with British professionals in London.
That (at least with other countries) has been the fact since the earliest times of the EU and the EEC ... in the 1950's.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 11:56 pm
Oh well, Dublin, or Edinburgh, or (Girona while there's still time) here I come...
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 12:05 am

Final results (I think)

Leave: 17,410,742

Stay: 16,141,241
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 12:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The next (logical) step for the UK could be leaving the Council of Europe - because there's the reason for many EU-laws: democracy, rule of law, human rights, economic development and of course the European Convention on Human Rights (> European Court of Human Rights).
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 01:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Cameron will resign.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 01:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Cameron will resign.
Quote:
"I was absolutely clear [in the referendum] about my belief that Britain is stronger, safer and better off inside the European Union. And I made clear the referendum was about this and this alone, not the future of any single politician, including myself.
But the British people have made a very clear decision to take a different path and as such I think the country requires fresh leadership to take it in this direction.
I will do everthing I can as prime minister to steady the ship over the coming weeks and months. But I do not think it would be right for me to try to be the captain that steers our country to its next destination.
This is not a decision I have taken lightly. But I do believe it’s in the national interest to have a period of stability and then the new leadership required.
There is no need for a precise timetable today. But in my view we should aim to have a new prime minister in place by the start of the Conservative party conference in October."
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 02:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I do hope that the coming new government will follow the rules about the two-year-period and not leave from one day to the other.
Here, already now people (tourists as well as business people) are questioning about entering the UK with what ID-document, health insurance, consumer rights etc etc
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 02:56 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
If there is Brexit, I'm going to Spain. Or France. Possibly if there is a Scottish independence referendum, and they leave the UK, I could move to Edinburgh.
The snooker professional Ronnie O’Sullivan might move to Germany:
Quote:

http://i68.tinypic.com/14vmxw1.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 03:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The website of the German-British Chamber of Trade & Commerce was down over quite some time this morning, phones there are on "automatic".
In a press release their Managing Director wrote that they fear to have to close several British companies here in Germany.

But a company in the neighbour, which produces about 30% of the jam and marmalade sold in the UK, goes on three shifts. Wink

And Spain hopes to hoist the Spanish flag in Gibraltar in the nearest future.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 05:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The next (logical) step for the UK could be leaving the Council of Europe - because there's the reason for many EU-laws: democracy, rule of law, human rights, economic development and of course the European Convention on Human Rights (> European Court of Human Rights).

Do you think they will have to substantially redraw this chart, or will they just be able to reposition the UK's flag in a different spot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Supranational_European_Bodies

I don't think there is much opposition to democracy and human rights. A lot of the people who wanted to leave were complaining about business regulations.
revelette2

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 07:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I wonder, if there will be a new Scotland referendum.

Or Wales and Northern Ireland.
0 Replies