Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Lash

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 07:19 am
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/leave-or-remain-eu-referendum-results-and-live-maps/

Wales voted Brexit.

0 Replies

Lash

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 07:25 am
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-24/hollande-says-u-k-exit-shouldn-t-be-delayed-as-eu-needs-renewal

Smart response from Hollande! Solidarity with their friends in Britain; an inward look to analyze EU weaknesses. Well done!

0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 09:22 am
With all respect, this stuff looks like a lot of hysteria that is going to settle down quickly. Markets always react negatively to the unknown, even if the unknown turns out to be beneficial. Not saying the Brexit is necessarily beneficial, just saying that it's going to come down to a few economic adjustments and then life goes back to normal relatively quickly.

If this is going to touch off a financial maelstrom, how did the UK and the European countries ever survive before the they joined the EU?
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 09:29 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Do you think they will have to substantially redraw this chart, or will they just be able to reposition the UK's flag in a different spot?

I don't think there is much opposition to democracy and human rights. A lot of the people who wanted to leave were complaining about business regulations.
Well, 'Vote Leave' pointed to several rulings of the European Court of Justice, using this as an argument for the Brexit. (I gave several responses about this earlier.)

Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 09:30 am
What I really see positive, is that the NHS will get quite a lot of (badly needed) money now

http://i64.tinypic.com/10em2vs.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 09:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What makes me a bit wonder is: the leaders of the leave groups are about as anti-establishment as the Duke of Edinburgh is.

Why did the Brexiters believe them more than the others and thought them not being part of the establishment?

I'm really waiting if "take back control" is just EU-related or will be done in the UK as well, e.g. get a a proportional voting system and an elected second chamber in the parliament.
Blickers

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 09:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
They don't have one man-one vote in the UK? (We actually only got that in the 1970s in the USA)
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 10:03 am
@Blickers,
Voting systems in the UK
Blickers

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 10:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
From Walter's Source:
Quote:
The Alternative Vote is used to elect the majority of chairs of select committees in the House of Commons. The AV is also used for the election of the Lord Speaker and by-elections for hereditary peers.

Under AV, voters rank candidates in order of preference by marking 1, 2, 3 and so on next to names of candidates on a ballot paper. A voter can rank as many or as few candidates as they like or just vote for one candidate.

Wait a minute-am I to understand the chairmen of the various Parliament committees is elected by the people, and not decided by the majority of the Parliament itself? That is what this page seems to imply.
Lash

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 10:51 am
@Blickers,
Agreed.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 10:57 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Wait a minute-am I to understand the chairmen of the various Parliament committees is elected by the people, and not decided by the majority of the Parliament itself?

Only some committee chairs are elected, and the people who vote are the members of the House of Commons.

Tes yeux noirs

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
What I really see positive, is that the NHS will get quite a lot of (badly needed) money now

That 350 million has been proved a fake, I think, like much of the Brexit propaganda.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:13 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
That 350 million has been proved a fake, I think, like much of the Brexit propaganda.
I know.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:16 am
Farage has admitted it on TV.

From Libération:

Quote:
«Nous envoyons 350 millions de livres par semaine à l’UE. Finançons plutôt la NHS», pouvait-on notamment lire en gros sur un bus de campagne.

Mais c'est un tout autre discours que Nigel Farage, leader de l’Ukip, a tenu sur la chaîne ITV. Invité sur le plateau de Good Morning Britain quelques heures après l'annonce des résultats, il a estimé que le camp du leave avait «fait une erreur en affirmant cela».

I bet he hates those guillemets imposed by Brussels!
Tes yeux noirs

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:20 am
According to the Scottish Government, citizens from any part of the existing UK who are "habitually resident" in Scotland on Day 1 of Scottish independence will be automatically entitled to Scottish citizenship.
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:23 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote Tes:
Quote:
Only some committee chairs are elected, and the people who vote are the members of the House of Commons.

That's what I thought. Walter's link had more to do with methods of voting used by any group in UK, and not so much to do with how general elections are conducted in the UK.

The UK and US systems are similar, in the US the majority party in both the House and the the Senate vote as a bloc for the house's leader, (whether Speaker of the House or Senate Majority Leader), the members of the committees, (majority party in that chamber always means majority in each and every committee), and the chairmen of each committee.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:24 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Link to the interview (in English and not a funny European language Wink )
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Possive by-effect for many in the remaing 27 countries: TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, a proposed and most discussed/opposed trade agreement between the European Union and the United States) now won't come before 2018 earliest.
Blickers

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote Walter:
Quote:
TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, a proposed and most discussed/opposed trade agreement between the European Union and the United States) now won't come before 2018 earliest.

Probably just as well. There's probably going to be a lot more to negotiate about it, including the new provision that the US won't sign unless President Trump's family can build a 100-story Trump Tower in the downtown of every EU capital city.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jun, 2016 12:24 pm
@Blickers,
Well, he said that Belgium was a nice city.