Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 07:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Now, Theresa May hints she will quit before next election in a bid to win the no-confidence vote.
Quote:
Her spokesman said Ms May “doesn’t believe the vote today is about who leads the party to the next election.

"It’s about whether it’s sensible to change leader at this point in [Brexit] negotiations."

The words suggest Ms May could tell MPs in the meetings that she is willing to stand down before the next election, if they allow her to complete the Brexit negotiations and take the country out of the EU on March 29.
The Independent
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 10:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
The Conservatives have handed the party whip back to a suspended MP just in time for him to take in tonight's vote of no confidence in Theresa May.

Andrew Griffiths, who was suspended in July after bombarding a female constituent with thousands of messages, has been told he will be readmitted and allowed to take part in the ballot.

The married MP apologised after it was revealed that he had sent the 28-year-old constituent 2000 texts, including many of an explicit nature.

He was readmitted to the party on Wednesday as Tory whips seek to secure every possible vote to guarantee Ms May's future.
The Independent
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 10:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Betting odds have shifted sharply toward May surviving a no-confidence vote.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 11:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
According to several sources, May told the 1922 committee: 'I won't lead the party into the next general election.'
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 01:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
https://i.imgur.com/hb6rljyl.jpg

And the winner is ....
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 01:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
... the BBC has counted 187 Tory MPs saying they will vote for Theresa May. The Telegraph has got 174 in that category, and The Guardian got to the tally up to 169 ...

I think, it will be 100 MPs to 120 MPs to vote against May tonight. And that would be enough to damage her severely going into the EU talks tomorrow.

Results should be know in a hour or so.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 02:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
May won originally her leadership ballot by 199 votes.
Now she got .... declaration will be "nine o'clock on the dot" (that's in 50 minutes)
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 02:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Theresa May has arrived back in Downing Street. She is not going to be in committee room 14 to hear the result in person.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 03:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
A majority of Conservative MPs backed PM May in a secret ballot after the prime minister signalled she would step down before the 2022 election.
For May: 200
Against May: 117
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 03:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I think, it will be 100 MPs to 120 MPs to vote against May tonight. And that would be enough to damage her severely going into the EU talks tomorrow.
Wink
ehBeth

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 03:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
right on dude! Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 05:19 pm
I’m sorta surprised she kept her post. I can’t imagine anyone else taking that job right now.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 11:32 pm
@Lash,
https://i.imgur.com/VbO95fr.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Today May meets with the heads of government of the other EU countries in Brussels.
And when she returns home later, she and her party will still face the same fundamental choice as in the days before:
- this deal,
- no deal
- or no Brexit.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 01:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Civil service told to ramp up no-deal Brexit plans with 24/7 crisis centre
Quote:
Civil servants across Whitehall have been instructed to ramp up their emergency no-deal planning, with preparations including hiring staff for a 24-hour “emergency centre”.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), one of those likely to be worst hit by a no-deal Brexit, has advertised 90 new posts for civil servants to staff a crisis centre. The centre is being set up to plan for and manage “the reasonable scenario of no deal”, the job advert says.

The EU Exit Emergencies Centre is intended to be a temporary measure for three to six months. Staff will be expected to work shifts, to be on call 24/7 and will be trained in multiple roles, according to the job description.
... ... ...

Walter Hinteler

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 05:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,

EU leaders tell May to find Brexit consensus among MPs

Quote:
Theresa May has been told to return to parliament and find a way to break the Brexit logjam after she failed to convince EU leaders in Brussels that she had a credible plan to win round MPs.

An appeal from the prime minister for a final concession on Thursday night failed to impress the 27 heads of state and government. The European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, described the British debate as “nebulous” and told May to come back to them with a clear plan.

Video footage of the leaders gathering for Friday morning’s talks captured May in a frosty exchange with Juncker, who appeared to be trying to calm a clearly angered prime minister.

Arriving for the second day of the summit, leaders reiterated they would not renegotiate the deal on the table, and made a direct appeal to British MPs to be “responsible” and offer a way out of the impasse.

Denmark’s prime minister, Lars Løkke Rasmussen, said the EU was being “as flexible as we can be. I think it is now up to the British to come together and create a kind of national consensus in order to tell us exactly what to do to get this through the British parliament.”

The prime minister of Luxembourg, Xavier Bettel, said the discussions with May had been an “honest exchange”.

“Theresa May is clear, but the fact is that Westminster is not that clear. So we know what Theresa wants, and she wants the best possible deal in Westminster, but the problem is the MPs in London,” he said.

“For internal political reasons some people want to gamble with the relations between the European Union and the UK for the future, and it is bad.”
... ... ...
Walter Hinteler

Fri 14 Dec, 2018 11:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
UK ministers think May's Brexit plan is dead, seek alternatives
Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Most of British Prime Minister Theresa May’s senior ministers think her Brexit plan is dead and are discussing different options including a second referendum, The Times newspaper reported.

May, who said on Friday that she hoped to get further assurances about her plan from European Union leaders despite a fruitless trip to Brussels, was likely to be faced with opposing demands from ministers next week, the newspaper said.

One group of ministers, including Amber Rudd, the work and pensions minister, and finance minister Philip Hammond, was leaning reluctantly toward backing a second referendum if all other options are exhausted, it said.

Another group, including environment minister Michael Gove and interior minister Sajid Javid, was opposed to the idea of a second referendum, with Gove favoring a closer, Norway-style relationship with the EU after Brexit.

Other ministers including foreign minister Jeremy Hunt were willing to risk leaving the EU without a deal, the report said.

May’s plan, agreed with EU leaders last month, is opposed by many lawmakers in her own Conservative Party who fear it will leave Britain trapped in the bloc’s orbit. May has said rejection of her plan would risk Britain leaving the EU with no deal to smooth the economic shock or not leaving at all.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 15 Dec, 2018 05:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Church of England bishops have said they are praying for “courage, integrity and clarity for our politicians” after a week of turmoil over Brexit.
In a joint statement issued today, the bishops also urged the country to “consider the nature of our public conversation” and called for more “grace and generosity”.

The Church of England: Bishops call for a change of tone on Brexit debate

The statement echoes concerns raised by the archbishop of Canterbury in the House of Lords on Friday when he stressed the need for reconciliation after a “week of deep division” over Brexit.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 15 Dec, 2018 05:51 am
Nebulous? I thought Theresa was going to box Juncker’s ears.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-jean-claude-juncker-nebulous-deal-eu-summit-press-conference-video-a8683466.html

———————

I have to say—Juncker’s response was sexist. Old bastard.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 15 Dec, 2018 07:03 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I have to say—Juncker’s response was sexist. Old bastard.
From your own link:
The Independent linked by Lash wrote:
“What did you call me? You called me nebulous,” according to lip-reading experts.

The EU chief’s response could not be established, but the prime minister appeared to add: “Yes you did, nebulous.”

Mr Juncker said: “No I didn’t, I didn’t.”

Juncker described the UK's Brexit position as "nebulous and imprecise".
Most continental Europeans, me included, share this view. And roughly have of Britons.
Are we all sexists and bastards?

Gina Miller got increased death threads in the last few weeks. (Source: Activist on Mays Brexit-tactic: This is blackmail)