Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Olivier5

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 04:04 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I don’t think anyone’s suspicious of the EU.

Call it as you want, but there's a certain negativity about it. You implied as much yourself:

Quote:
Pre-Obama, most American presidents would have embraced a post-EU England. 
Lash

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 04:43 am
@Olivier5,
Yeah. I thought Obama was influenced by Brussels to make statements that were pro-Remain. I was surprised he weighed in with an opinion. I also don’t understand the reason trump supposedly threatened May with a poor trading relationship (ostensibly in response to trading choices she was making with Brussels).
Olivier5

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 04:51 am
@Lash,
Obama was the voice of reason, as always... The guy was not pro-european but he had some understanding of economics.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 05:39 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Again, I support a state voting to make their own choices about their identities and affiliations.

How do you intend to persuade the (rest of the) United States to consent to letting you go? Alternatively, how do you intend to get around the United-States constitution, which prohibits secession absent the federal government's consent? (See Texas vs White (1869))
Walter Hinteler

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 06:08 am
@Thomas,
[1869 - two years later the Bavarian kingdom got special privileges in the German constitution ("Reservatrechte") ... ]

Nice to see you posting here again, Thomas!
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 09:20 am
@Thomas,
I don’t want to leave the union.
Thomas

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 02:11 pm
@Lash,
Oh, I misundertood you then, sorry! What did you have in mind, then, about " a state voting to make their own choices about their identities and affiliations"?
Lash

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 03:04 pm
@Thomas,
I support democratic decisions of groups of people who choose increased self-determination.

If the majority of Californians choose to separate from the US, I wouldn’t agitate against that decision.
Setanta

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 03:29 pm
Not even a significant minority of California voters have ever shown an interest in those idiot schemes.
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 03:43 pm
@Lash,
Thanks for clarifying!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 22 Jul, 2018 04:54 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
So when Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas broke up with the US in February 1861, and declared their secession from the U.S. to form the Confederate States of America, you think they should have been left alone by Lincoln, huh?

I've been mulling this over since I read it yesterday. It does seem some US problems would have been prevented if those states had been left to try to get by on their own. The US as it's composed doesn't make much sense. Too many diverging views. Alabama/Georgia/Louisiana/Mississippi might have gone the way of Haiti. Texas would likely have been fine on its own, perhaps with a NAFTA-type alliance with Mexico. South Carolina's the tricky one. Maybe fold it into Florida - and pop both of them off from the US as a block.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 07:08 am
@ehBeth,
Theresa May announces she will keep UK under EU laws for another 21 months, risking Brexiteer fury
Quote:
The 1972 European Communities Act will not be fully repealed until the end of the planned transition period, at the start of 2021 – rather than on exit day next year.

Dominic Raab, the Brexit secretary told MPs the move was necessary to “ensure the statute book functions properly....in accordance with the agreement we have made with the EU”.

But it is certain to enrage pro-Brexit MPs – who had been promised the 1972 Act, which took the EU into the then-common market, would be scrapped in March 2019.

Walter Hinteler

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 08:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Theresa May has published this written ministerial statement this afternoon. It is under the bland heading, “machinery of government change”, but it clearly shows that DExEU, the Department for Exiting the EU, is being downgraded. She says the Cabinet Office, and by implication Number 10, is now in charge of the Brexit negotiations, not the Brexit department (DExEU).

Quote:
DExEU will continue to lead on all of the government’s preparations for Brexit: domestic preparations in both a deal and a no deal scenario, all of the necessary legislation, and preparations for the negotiations to implement the detail of the future framework. To support this, DExEU will recruit some new staff, and a number of Cabinet Office officials coordinating work on preparedness will move to DExEU while maintaining close ties with both departments.

I will lead the negotiations with the European Union, with the secretary of state for Exiting the European Union deputising on my behalf. Both of us will be supported by the Cabinet Office Europe unit and with this in mind the Europe unit will have overall responsibility for the preparation and conduct of the negotiations, drawing upon support from DExEU and other departments as required. A number of staff will transfer from DExEU to the Cabinet Office to deliver that.
Source: May's written statement

And the new Brexit secretary has promised to ensure "there is adequate food supply" if the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal. (The Independent)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 08:52 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
The US as it's composed doesn't make much sense.

They're not the only one -- Canada makes even less sense, why with the bilingual thing. I wouldn't go into judging whether another nation's boarders 'make sense' or not. History made boarders, not logicians. What I know is that Americans are quick to think that Europe (or Spain, or Russia) should break up, but they would never support their own nation breaking up... So it's "do as I say, don't do as I do".

More generally, division is always a good thing for other nations, but never for our own... :-)
cicerone imposter

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 10:53 am
@ehBeth,
Diverging views will always exist. That's the reason why white supremacist, bigot, lying, Trump has support in our country. During WWII, the white majority put us Japanese Americans into concentration camps. Bigotry will not disappear any time soon. Look at how long blacks have been discriminated against in this country. It's now Muslims and Mexicans. Ignorant people believe they are the superior race.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 Jul, 2018 02:26 am
Ireland says UK cannot afford to leave EU with no deal and dismisses Theresa May's threats as 'bravado'
Quote:
The Irish government has dismissed Theresa May’s threat to crash out of the EU without a deal if necessary as “bravado”, insisting the damage to the UK would be too great.

Simon Coveney, Dublin’s deputy prime minister, instead urged Britain to delay Brexit if the talks remain deadlocked – offering to press for an extension to the Article 50 deadline.

The UK government has insisted its threat of no deal is genuine – even revealing plans for the stockpiling of food, medicines and blood ahead of exit day next March.

But Mr Coveney said: “I have heard a lot of comment on this issue in recent weeks and, to be honest with you, I think some of it is bravado.

“The truth is that I don’t believe Britain can afford to have no deal on Brexit. I don’t believe that Ireland and the EU want that either.”

He added: “The negative implications of a no deal Brexit are very significant for Ireland and for the United Kingdom. We all have an obligation to make sure that that does not happen.”

Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 Jul, 2018 03:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/bVIkbmQl.jpg

Via BBC
Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 Jul, 2018 03:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Government admits plan to stockpile medicines and blood in case UK leaves EU with no deal
Quote:
The government is making plans to stockpile vital blood products and medicines in case of a no-deal Brexit, the new health secretary has said.

Matthew Hancock admitted he had already met with industry leaders to discuss building up NHS reserves of vaccinations and other medical supplies if Britain crashes out of the European Union without a deal.

His comments came after Dominic Raab, the new Brexit secretary, finally confirmed preparations were being made to stockpile food, as ministers ramp up planning in case the negotiations fail.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It’s been 25 months since the referendum in which voters narrowly decided the UK should leave the European Union, and there are just eight months left until Brexit is scheduled to happen.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 05:17 am
@Olivier5,
Does it matter to you when the majority of the citizens in a country vote to leave a larger entity? Should they ever be allowed to uncouple?