Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 06:55 am
@Lash,
Perhaps there'll be a new Scottish independence referendum, then with more votes for an independence (I doubt that, though).

There have been only polls about the English independence. But since all major UK-wide political parties adhere to the conventional view of British unionism, and oppose altering the constitutional status of England, chances for an independent England are less possible than for Scotland.
Olivier5

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 08:04 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Does it matter to you when the majority of the citizens in a country vote to leave a larger entity? Should they ever be allowed to uncouple?

You're not paying attention. I am a staunch Brexiter. My point was simply that people send to see the divisions among other nations far clearer and more sympathetically than their own nations' division.
ehBeth

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 08:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
from the home of an early a2ker

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/25/town-fights-independence-britain-brexit-7758359/?ito=article.tablet.share.top.facebook

this is from the article

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/sei_22863006-8c88.jpg?w=620&h=412&crop=1

(she posted a pic of her new Totnes/EU passport on FB)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 08:41 am
@Olivier5,
I agree about Canada. Not so much about the bilingualism, many countries are supportive of multiple languages. I am absolutely infuriated though that Catholics still get funding for schools here. Infuriated. I go after it in every federal and provincial election.
Olivier5

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Especially in Quebec maybe? I would assume the Anglican Church to be stronger than the Catholic one in anglophone Canada.
ehBeth

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:10 pm
@Olivier5,
I don't live in Quebec. My province pays for separate education for Catholics. I believe it is required in other provinces as well. I don't approve of funding for separate schools. If abolishing separate school funding caused enough of a stink for Quebec to want to leave, I'd be good with it.

Quebec can't go though - as their government funding is very much reliant on resources which are controlled by the native community. The last time there was a separation vote, the Innu made it clear Quebec could go but the Innu would immediately separate from Quebec and return to Canada - leaving Quebec without natural resources/$$$. It was an interesting, and successful, powerplay.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:13 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I would assume the Anglican Church to be stronger than the Catholic one in anglophone Canada.

the Catholic church is more active and politically powerful than the Anglican one (mostly because Anglicans aren't a big group or an active group)

Quote:
Christianity is the largest religion in Canada, with Roman Catholics having the most adherents. Christians, representing 67.3% of the population, are followed by people having no religion with 23.9% of the total population. Islam is the second largest religion in Canada, practised by 3.2% of the population.
wikipedia

stashing this link here because I find it interesting not because it's on topic

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/06/27/canadas-changing-religious-landscape/
cicerone imposter

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 02:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Isn't it true that religion has been showing losses for many years in all countries? https://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-reiss/four-reasons-for-decline-_b_8778968.html
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:44 pm
@ehBeth,
And it's only the Catholic school that get national finding, and not the other denominations?
ehBeth

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 12:25 am
@Olivier5,
Provincial, not federal funding, but yes. Catholic schools are funded by the government in Ontario. Any other religious group that wants separate education has to fund it itself.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 01:00 am
@ehBeth,
Here, in Germany, all (approved) private schools (at least those, who offer, kindergarten, primary and higher education) are funded by the states, differs from 80% up to in the high 90%'s.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 04:15 am
@ehBeth,
That's clearly unfair.

In France private schools (often Catholic, but there are also Jewish, Protestant and a few Muslim schools) can opt to sign a contract with the state whereby they get funding in exchange of adhering to the public school curriculum, and submit to regular academic controls. Most do so; only about one thousand schools in the whole country are "non conventionnées" i.e. out of the state system.

I'm no fan of the Catholic schools and would not send my kids there, but then the French (international) public school we rely onto has an excellent level, which is not the case everywhere, and I must admit that in general the nuns provide quality education. They're not faking it.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 06:06 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
More voters favour a second Brexit referendum than do not, a new poll has indicated, as a tussle between Theresa May and the EU over trade continues.

Of 1,653 adults asked whether there should be a referendum on the final terms of a Brexit deal, 42 per cent said there should, while 40 per cent said there should not. The rest did not know.

Support for another referendum has been increasing in the face of Brussel’s rejection of parts of the prime minister’s Chequers plan and a parliamentary stalemate over what the future relationship with the EU should look like.
The Independent

https://i.imgur.com/WHlP9Hcl.jpg
The Times (paywall): Majority now back a second referendum on Brexit terms
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 06:27 am
@Olivier5,
I was just asking your opinion; didn’t remember seeing it—and I did *not* know you were a Brexiter! I thought you were totally against it!

You’re right, I haven’t been paying close attention. Could’ve sworn you excoriated the Brexit crew.

Reading back a bit...
Setanta

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 06:31 am
Something needs to be cleared up with regard to the school system in Ontario. After the failed 1836-37 uprisings, the government in London re-organized the two provinces of Upper Canada and Lower Canada into Canada East (Quebec) and Canada West (Ontario). They were given a common legislature, and became the British province of Canada. MPPs from Canada West wanted Canada East to fund public schools for those who were not Catholic. The agreement was made that Canada West would then fund Catholic schools in their bailiwick. The agreement has had long-term, unanticipated consequences. In Ontario, there are now large populations from Catholic countries, particularly Italy, Portugal and from the city of Goa in India, formerly a Portuguese colony. At the same time, Quebec has had to greatly expand their once small public school system as immigrants from other countries have arrived, particularly Muslims. It's been around for 180 years now.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 09:05 am
@Setanta,
From the Guardian's report
Democracy is at risk due to fake news and data misuse, MPs to conclude
Quote:
The interim report, which will precede a lengthier publication due in the autumn, is due to be published on Sunday. However, Vote Leave’s Cummings published a copy in a post on his personal blog, saying that it had been leaked to him.

Cummings, who is facing censure from parliament after he refused a formal summons to attend one of the committee’s hearings, said the report “knowingly/incompetently makes false claims” and insisted the report was littered with “errors and misunderstandings about the legal framework for elections”.

He also pledged that if anti-Brexit campaigners were successful in holding a second referendum then a new incarnation of Vote Leave would “win the referendum and destroy the strategic foundations of both main parties” by turning itself into a new political party that would take on both Labour and the Conservatives.
Olivier5

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:55 am
@Lash,
I don't think it's good for the UK and would not support it if I were British, but as a Frenchman I happen to believe that Brexit is a chance for Europe. This position reflects a view widely shared in my country that successive British governments have been "free wheeling" throughout the European project since they 'adhered' to it.
Lash

Fri 27 Jul, 2018 11:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Ah yes. The ‘I really hate those Brits’ Brexiter. Thanks for the clarification.
Olivier5

Sat 28 Jul, 2018 02:40 am
@Lash,
It's not hatred, more like a cost-benefit analysis. The UK has been a heavy maintenance and low output EU member. Good ridance to them.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 28 Jul, 2018 05:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes to that.

La presse a succédé au catéchisme dans le gouvernement du monde. Après le pape, le papier. -- Victor Hugo

And after paper, the interwebs.