Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Lash

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 03:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There are reports of Brits requesting citizenship in other countries and relocating. Businesses are relocating. These moves are attributed to the coming separation from the EU.

The reason I was asking is I thought there may be movement in the other direction that I wasn’t aware of.
Olivier5

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:20 am
@Lash,
This site attempts to assess the economic impact on the UK:

http://www.brexitrecord.com
Lash

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:22 am
@Olivier5,
Thanks. I was looking around as well.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/news/latest/new-report-reveals-cost-brexit
Olivier5

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:28 am
@Lash,
That's just about the cost to administer the thing. The impact on the UK's -- and to a lesser extent to the EU's -- economy will be much much larger.
Lash

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:31 am
@Olivier5,
I’m hoping that most of the losses are due to the clunky, uncertain roll out of the separation, and that Britain will regain her footing after the thing happens.

Walter Hinteler

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:32 am
@Lash,
I gave links to the numbers of UK-nationals getting EU-citizenship in other nations (as did Olivier.)

Getting the UK-citizenship isn't easy for EU-citizens living in the UK: at first they need a permanent residence document - there lots of stories that even those living for years in UK and having British children are threatened to be expelled (which is against EU-law). But still, you need to have been living in the UK for at least six years and a bit more.
It costs £1,282 ($1698,49/1.449,07 €) for an adult to apply for in the UK - 250€ (£221,22/$ 293,09) here in Germany
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:32 am
@Olivier5,
Yes. This is a great site. Thanks for finding it.
Olivier5

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:35 am
@Lash,
It's on the remain side of course, but factual and well researched. Also witty at times, like their entry on the new dark blue British passport, which I posted here some time back.
Lash

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:39 am
@Olivier5,
I did get the slant, but it gives one a starting place of info to research. I didn’t know where to start. The few articles I found all have different numbers, some with no real traceable data.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:47 am
@Lash,
Last month, when business leaders expressed misgivings about the opaqueness of the whole thing, Boris the Johnson petulantly replied: "**** business!".

That's the most counterintuitive thing with Brexit for me. I always saw the Brits as pro-trade and pro-business.
Lash

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 05:00 am
@Olivier5,
Hoping Boris isn’t representative of the average guy.

Leaving this here:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/27/how-has-the-brexit-vote-affected-the-economy-march-verdict
Olivier5

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 06:45 am
@Lash,
Boris the Johnson is representative of the average brexiter: rude, xenophobic, and lacking business sense.
0 Replies

Blickers

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 10:37 am
@ehBeth,
Quote ehBeth:
Quote:
Wouldn't civil servants have a set of papers already prepared for a hard Brexit?
Why would you think that? Here in the US our civil servants can't even keep track of which kid they took away from which mother a few weeks ago.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:09 am
When you make three distinct promises to three groups of people where only two at any one time are compatible ... then ultimately there will be trouble.

Opposition to May's Brexit plan grows as Tory vice-chairs quit
Quote:
Two Conservative party vice-chairs have resigned in protest at Theresa May’s Chequers plans, timing their departures to a few minutes before the prime minister was due to give a press conference with Angela Merkel.

Ben Bradley and Maria Caulfield both released resignation letters saying they opposed May’s Brexit proposals, resigning in the wake of the departures of Boris Johnson, David Davis and Steve Baker.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 11 Jul, 2018 10:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Liam Fox has issued an extraordinary warning to EU leaders that they risk being kicked out by their own voters if they reject Theresa May’s new Brexit plan.

The alternative was the UK crashing out of the EU without a deal – which, the trade secretary claimed, would inflict “disproportionate pain” on Britain's smaller neighbours.

Dr Fox urged elected leaders to seize control of the process from Brussels to prevent a no-deal outcome, saying: “The pain that would occur would not be evenly spread across Europe.

“You can see it having a disproportionate impact on economies such as the Netherlands, Belgium or Ireland.”

On who should make the decision, he added: “It needs to be the actual countries with elected governments – that need to get prosperity and jobs and trade if those politicians want to get re-elected.”

Nevertheless, Dr Fox – who, unlike fellow Brexiteers Boris Johnson and David Davis has backed the plan agreed at Chequers – was gloomy about reaching agreement in Brussels.

Asked if the EU would accept the customs proposal, which would mean the UK collecting EU tariffs, he replied: “That’s of course impossible for me to say at the moment.

"One can imagine what might be the sort of objections that might come forward."

The trade secretary insisted it was a “credible proposition”, but admitted: “This is a completely unprecedented set of options being put forward.”
The Independent
Walter Hinteler

Thu 12 Jul, 2018 08:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Today, parliament had to discuss the new White Paper ... without having seen it. Brexit Secretary Raab later apologised and said he would look into what went wrong.

UK Government: url=https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-future-relationship-between-the-united-kingdom-and-the-european-union?utm_source=e5b3260b-2069-4b57-a5bd-24e9ea02aa88&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate]Policy paper: The future relationship between the United Kingdom and the European Union[/url]
Walter Hinteler

Thu 12 Jul, 2018 01:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Theresa May will step up her efforts to secure a post-Brexit trade deal with the United States on Friday as she sits down for her first bilateral talks with Donald Trump against a backdrop of furious protest across the country.

As the government released its long-awaited Brexit white paper on Thursday, she sought to placate angry Tory leavers by winning US support for her softer Brexit plan, telling Trump it created an “unprecedented opportunity” for a free trade agreement.

At a dinner held in Trump’s honour at Blenheim Palace on Thursday night she also vowed to “tear down” the bureaucratic barriers that Brussels had put in the path of business, as part of an attempt to overcome US fears over her new Brexit plan.
The Guardian
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:22 pm
I see no possible deal based on May's preposterous White Paper, whereby the UK would retain the power to block EU regulations, and besides, she can't even get it accepted by the brexiters... A hard brexit is now almost a certainty.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-07-12/what-the-u-k-wants-a-guide-to-theresa-may-s-brexit-white-paper
Walter Hinteler

Fri 13 Jul, 2018 07:53 am
@Olivier5,
he European Commission has warned EU member states to step up planning for a ‘no deal’ Brexit following the publication of Theresa May’s Chequers deal with her Cabinet.

The new 15-page document, seen by Ireland’s public broadcaster RTÉ [linked below], lays out contingency planning guidelines on preparing for Britain crashing out without an agreement in March.

EU warns states to step up preparations for no-deal Brexit scenario
Olivier5

Fri 13 Jul, 2018 10:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I want Barnier's job: just show your face on TV from time to time saying you'd welcome some sort of UK proposal, and otherwise drink your pastis by the pool until the whole thing crashes in March 2019. ;-)