Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 11:02 am
@Olivier5,
At least, we had got a plan by the UK-government, the first.
Which is now waste.

I think that the EU should really prepare now for a hard Brexit.
Olivier5

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 11:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Not sure there's much we can actually do in terms of preparation, though.
Lash

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 12:03 pm
@Olivier5,
But on poetry and light-hearted games? It’s not agreement.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 12:14 pm
@Olivier5,
At least some (dozens?) laws must amended and regulations changed from trade quotas to the financial sector.
ehBeth

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 12:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Wouldn't civil servants have a set of papers already prepared for a hard Brexit?
Kind of like media always having obits ready for public figures. I know my employers have usually had worst-case scenario docs ready to go - all the while working on developing more positive outcomes.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 12:27 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm sure they have.
Just saw an interview with the vice-chair of the EU-Parliament's Committee on Budgets: they are dealing with it as well.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 12:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Boris Johnson at least acknowledges that the UK "will never leave the continent Europe".
But he 'warns' that the 'Brexit dream is dying' in his scathing resignation letter:
Boris Johnson's resignation letter to British PM Theresa May [reuters]
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 01:07 pm
@Lash,
Maybe there are several thumbsdown monkeys... I'm talking of the one who's thumbing down entire pages, aka entire conversations.
Lash

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 06:54 pm
@Olivier5,
I’ve been here about 15 years. I’ve never seen anybody thumb down game threads. For the past week or so, entire pages of poetry and silly game threads have been thumbed.

Of course, we haven’t had thumbs the whole time. Still.

SORRY!! Segueing to Brexit!
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 07:01 pm
If someone had to summarize the impact of Brexit to date, what would you say?

I think there’s been a mass exodus, but I could be wrong. Has anybody compiled a fact sheet of economic and other results that are tied to Brexit?
Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 10:02 pm
@Lash,
I don't get what you mean with "mass exodus" here.
There can't be "a fact sheet of economic and other results that are tied to Brexit", because Brexit hasn't happened yet, it's even not certain, how the Brexit transition period will work, or if May's plan from last weekend is still the one the UK will follow (less if the EU accepts its)
Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 Jul, 2018 10:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Most of the top jobs in the 'new' government are now held by ministers who had backed Remain - including the new Health Secretary Matt Hancock.
Olivier5

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 12:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I've been worried for a while that the Brits will exit their Brexit.

Oh well. Maybe it's for the best... They be more humble if they do so: they'd have to swallow their nationalistic pride, which would do them some good.
Builder

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 12:31 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
[...}......they'd have to swallow their nationalistic pride, which would do them some good.

Geebus! That might win the most uninformed comment of the year, here.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 01:43 am
Surprisingly, even The Sun says there is no alternative plan on the table.
Quote:
For all the justified rage of Brexit-backing Tories, which The Sun shares, we don’t hear a strategy that could win a vote in a Remain-dominated ­Parliament or secure a deal in Brussels.

They may vote down Mrs May’s — or even topple her. How will they stop Remainers from signing us up to the Customs Union, an even greater disaster for Brexit?

Boris’s resignation letter said the Government strategy was ‘suffocated by needless self-doubt’. Absolutely bang on — but is there a Plan B for Boris?
Source
Walter Hinteler

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 01:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Actually, in my opinion, there are three options:
- the EEA (that wouldn't respect the referendum result),
- a free trade agreement (which leaves Northern Ireland in a different position which is very threatening to the union),
- a no deal.

The Chequers deal proposes (better: proposed?) a UK-EU free trade area for goods, by using a "common rulebook" with the EU, but accepts there may be new restrictions on services.
Any result (new UK-plan) requires compromises from both sides. And that's difficult - I doubt, the EU will change the four principles; and I doubt, too, that May will get such a compromise backed by her party.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 02:07 am
@Builder,
Brexit is essentially about nationalism and xenophobia. That's why the charge was led by UKIP.

Stop reading fake news and inform yourself.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 02:28 am
@Olivier5,
The former (until last year) defence secretary Michael Fallon has been speaking on the Today programme a couple of minutes ago. He said that there was no alternative apart from ensuring the UK has a smooth entry to the European market after Brexit.
Olivier5

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 02:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In other words, the Norway model.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 10 Jul, 2018 02:45 am
The thumbsdown monkey is back. Hi little monkey!!! Have fun!
0 Replies