Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 May, 2016 08:33 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
When I have to live on a very small income it seems damn unfair that other countries do get part of my money.
And it's unfair that ... ... there's lot of unfairness in the world. (I've always thought the UK rebate to be unfair.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 May, 2016 08:36 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
EU malipunated the election in Austria.
I suppose, the election of the Austrian president is meant here? Well, he got some death threads already. (This reminds a lot to 1938)
saab

Wed 25 May, 2016 10:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Honestly how can EU manipulate the election of the Austrian president - absurd. Terrible that he gets death treads.
There is a few things like the 1930iets.

Read an interesting article about the Swedish 1968ers. All left, all for Mao and I do not have to tell you - you had them in Germany too.
Now a large amount of them have turned to the extreem right.
They are against Romans, refugees and others from outside of Europe, they are against feminism and do accept,but just barely male gay people.
Why? That is a good question. How is it in Germany?
Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 May, 2016 12:40 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
Why? That is a good question. How is it in Germany?
Well, I'm a kind of 68'er myself.
(I wasn't even close to Maoism ... but got his 'bible' via the China's Swiss embassy [we didn't have diplomatic relations with China] in the early 60's. So the military secret service asked, if I still would "communicate with Red China" when I got my clearance in navy.)
I don't think that I have changed my views from those (school) days a lot.

But many did. Perhaps, such happened in a similar way all the time: you get conform with your lifestyle, your peers, your neighbourhood ... and adopt what you've actually fought: the ideas of your parents, for instance.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 May, 2016 01:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
While the following is exactly what I think ...
Quote:
Our problem as a country is that most of us do not want to join the euro and we wish to stay aloof from the common frontiers of the free-travel Schengen area. This makes our relationship with the EU fraught with tension and trouble. It is like joining a football club, then announcing you have no intention of either playing in or watching matches, and think the club subscription is too large. You just want to eat meals in the club cafe, which you could do anyway without joining the club.

... this is related to the above responses
Quote:
The politics of Europe is being transformed – and some would say damaged – by the European project. Traditional centre-left and centre-right parties on the continent that mirror Labour and Conservative are being swept away or marginalised by new insurgent parties on the left and right, often with more extreme views, that pick up on the anger and frustration with the EU’s bureaucratic-establishment approach.

Source: A vote to remain in the EU won’t be the last we hear of Brexit
0 Replies

saab

Thu 26 May, 2016 01:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
If you were in the navy you certainly were not one of those militant 68ér.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 May, 2016 01:48 am
@saab,
But all my promotions (I was conscripted, but the following 12 years in the "standing alarm force" as a reservist) got the note "non-military appearance". Very Happy
Setanta

Thu 26 May, 2016 02:00 am
Just a brief digression here: Jan Wong is a Chinese-Canadian journalist who went to China a committed Maoist, and who attended Beijing University. You might find it interesting.

Red China Blues
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 May, 2016 02:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
...12 years in the "standing alarm force" as a reservist ...
Thinking about that and where you're from: our unit was thought to be -as a joke- the "manure transporter" for the smaller Danish islands. (But in reality, we were the maritime mules for the Hjemmeværnet, getting tanks and lorries from one place to the other.)
saab

Thu 26 May, 2016 06:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
http://www.tobien.de/Marinesoldat.gif
that is how I imagened you - not as a manure transporter
Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 May, 2016 07:44 am
@saab,
I just got up to rank of a petty officer ("Bootsmann").
Pictured is a lieutenant commander ("Korvettenkapitän") - I refused to become a commissioned officer.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 27 May, 2016 10:06 am
MPs' report condemns 'misleading' EU referendum campaign

Quote:
Vote Leave, Britain Stronger in Europe and the Treasury have all been accused of misleading voters in the EU referendum campaign in a report by a cross-party House of Commons committee.

The Treasury committee was particularly scathing about the leave camp’s flagship assertion that exiting the EU would save £350m a week that could be spent on the NHS, saying that the public should discount the claim and that Vote Leave’s decision to persist with it was “deeply problematic”.

The 83-page report, agreed unanimously by a committee that includes MPs on both sides of the referendum campaign, will make awkward reading for all the major players.

Andrew Tyrie, the Conservative MP who chairs the committee, said: “The arms race of ever more lurid claims and counter-claims made by both the leave and remain sides is not just confusing the public – it is impoverishing political debate.”

... ... ...
Walter Hinteler

Sun 29 May, 2016 07:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Billboards all up the M 40

http://i66.tinypic.com/4q0epe.jpg

It's 2016, not 1916.
saab

Sun 29 May, 2016 10:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Really bad - it is not on a level where one can discuss pro and contras any more.
It is also very unfair to the Germans.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 29 May, 2016 01:27 pm
@saab,
Quote:

The billboard-size posters on grass banks overlooking the east and westbound carriageways of the M40, between the M25 and High Wycombe, include the official Vote Leave website address.

Vote Leave campaign director Dominic Cummings said on Twitter he thought the posters had been made by “dummies on our side” and rejected the idea that the insensitive reference to the second world war was part of a smear campaign by the Remain camp.

A spokesperson for Vote Leave said they were “not our posters. We were made aware of them late last night. Staff in the area are endeavouring to have them removed.”

But the posters were still in place on Sunday, in the view of thousands of bank holiday travellers.

On a related note: UK has 'remorseless obsession' with Nazis, says ex-British Museum director
Quote:
[...]On being asked by an audience member about a Brexit poster that mentioned "zee Germans", the historian said the analogy of Hitler with the European Union as "preposterous".

Mr MacGregor added:"The other thing of course is a total failure to consider our history in the same way, and look at the aspects of British history that need to be re-examine before we are complaining and accuse other countries of aggressive behaviour.

"It rings quite strangely to the rest of the world to hear Britain complaining of other countries aggressively invading anywhere."
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 30 May, 2016 02:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Really, the Treasury has descended into the propaganda pit? That is a troubling thought.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 30 May, 2016 02:56 am
@Setanta,
That's actually more an inner Conservative Party battle imo.

Besides that: both sides try to put the other in shade with their unproven slogans. And the Brexit side additionally has got a lot of websites blocked ... those with facts, for instance.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 30 May, 2016 09:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Steve Hilton (Cameron's former director of strategy and godfather to his late son, Ivan) has now suggested the EU "blocked" attempts by the Government to extend paternity and maternity leave.

If that really was true - why do other EU-countries (all Scandinavian members, Germany, The Netherlands, Austria ....) have longer (and better paid) paternity and maternity leave?
Why didn't the UK try to get the same right?

Or did they just misread what the EU-directive said ... (hint: "minimum")?

Edit: more here [and better explained as well]: Former minister rejects Steve Hilton's claim EU 'blocked' extra parental leave
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 31 May, 2016 06:24 am
I've just read that only a “woeful” 48% of the GCSE cohort last year took at least one language (in continental Europe that's 100% or at least close to). (Source for the quote)
-------------

Interesting report in the Guardian: What happens next if Britain votes to leave the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Tue 31 May, 2016 07:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Guy Verhofstadt (Prime Minister of Belgium from 1999 to 2008, since then MEP, leader of the Group of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe in the EU-Parliament): Relax Britain, you can hate the eurozone and still vote remain
Quote:
If the British people decide to stay in the EU on 23 June, the legal process of transforming Britain’s new relationship with the EU will begin and the first step will be treaty change. The real risk is not remaining in the EU, it is a leave vote, which could perpetuate the disintegration of the entire European Union.
0 Replies