Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Kolyo

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 01:19 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Article 50 is written in the EU Constitution, but not written in stone.

Oh but this is Europe, where everything is written in stone, just like the mutual defense treaties of the early 1900's. Somebody assassinates a nobleman in the Balkans, and suddenly Britain and Germany are at war.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 01:21 pm
@Kolyo,
I don't deride the British people. Why say that to me? OK, I remember telling about my snubbing Prince Philip, but he's not all the British people.

I admit I was sad Brexit won, and so closely, but I don't know everything going on, all the whys and wherefores from both sides in Britain, and I know less so re the EU, which I tend to approve of from the far away US, but pretty much am listening to Olivier on that.

Meantime, anyone heard how Lordyaswas is doing? I remember he left a2k in the middle of arguing about Brexit (he was pro back then). Whatever his views, I'm hoping he's ok.
Blickers

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 01:23 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote Olivier5:
Quote:
If the UK scraps the whole brexit idea at this point in time, their credibility and standing in the EU will remain severely damaged. They won't regain the position they had before the referendum. So that route implies the UK swalowing its national pride for years if not decades.

Don't be so sure. As the Trump Administration unravels under the numerous investigations and he becomes revealed as a Russian money-launderer largely put into place by Kremlin efforts, this entire two year period is likely to seem as a spike in super-nationalism pushed by Russian intelligence and cyber methods. Which is going to make it a lot easier to simply wipe the slate clean once that spike is over, which is beginning to happen.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 01:23 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Article 50 is written in the EU Constitution, but not written in stone. Surely there is an amendment process that can be employed if enough members so desire it.
a) there is no "EU-Constitution" - it's the article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty (amending the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty establishing the European Community)
b) indeed - a new treaty could be made.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 01:25 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I don't deride the British people. Why say that to me?

It wasn't meant for you.

It was meant for others.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 01:27 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Besides which, there is an alternative where the Brexit takes place, but enough trade agreements are made so in practical terms, it is as if they never left at all.
It's not just and only trade - that would be less then the current (and planned) negotiations.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 01:40 pm
@Kolyo,
Thanks. Als0, I edited to add more comments..
0 Replies

lmur

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 03:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Meantime, anyone heard how Lordyaswas is doing? I remember he left a2k in the middle of arguing about Brexit (he was pro back then). Whatever his views, I'm hoping he's ok.

He made a brief re-appearance as 'Rudolph Hucker' on 8th June predicting a massive Tory majority and failed to follow up when that prediction misfired.

EDIT Seems he was posting under that moniker for a number of months before the UK election.
ossobucotemp

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 03:19 pm
@lmur,
Ah, so..
He's probably alright.

Now that you say that, it sounds familiar - I've probably asked before and you probably told me that before.
Blickers

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 04:13 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I'm another poster who would like to see Lordy return under his old name, just like before.
ossobucotemp

Sat 8 Jul, 2017 04:23 pm
@Blickers,
I just remembered that he and some others were high doubters of one of my favorite posters, Olivier. They thought he was a fake poster from Montreal, if I remember, not actually french. Snort. Well, I still like them too, but beg to differ.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 03:08 am
Quote:
Brexit might never happen, senior Liberal Democrat MP Sir Vince Cable has suggested.

Mr Cable, who is currently the only candidate to be his party’s next leader, said a second referendum could see the initial Leave vote overturned.

“I’m beginning to think that Brexit may never happen,” he told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show. “The problems are so enormous, the divisions within the two major parties are so enormous, I can see a scenario in which this doesn’t happen.

“Our policy of having a second referendum, which didn’t really cut through in the general election, is designed to give a way out when it becomes clear that Brexit is potentially disastrous."
Source

BBC one: The Andrew Marr Show
centrox

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 03:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
Brexit might never happen, senior Liberal Democrat MP Sir Vince Cable has suggested.

I have been thinking this since the day after the referendum.
0 Replies

centrox

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 06:14 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
I am a member of Bristol For Europe which has thousands of members. My local MP, a Remain supporter, had her majority increased to an amazing 16,000 at the General Election. This was after on 27 January 2017 she had stated that she would vote against triggering Article 50, despite being a whip herself and Labour imposing a three line whip to vote for the Government motion.

Thangam Debonnaire. Correction: her majority is an even more amazing 37,336. She got the second highest number of Labour votes in Britain. I have just read that Momentum are planning to try to get here deselected her because of her anti-Brexit stance. I shall be getting active on this.

centrox

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 06:33 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
I have just read that Momentum are planning to try to get here deselected her because

Bad typing. "that Momentum are planning to try to get her deselected because..."
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 07:28 am
@ossobucotemp,
Lordy had his weaknesses but he could funny. He swallowed the Breakshit hook line and sinker though. Must be eating crow by now, reason for which he won't come back just yet, I figure.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 07:53 am
@centrox,
Still, I don't see a viable path out of brexit anytime soon. It would take May's resignation for a start. Then the next PM would have to be enough of a remainist to call for another referendum... The whole scenario seems highly unlikely to me.

More probably, negotiations will proceed at a very slow pace and no deal will be reached in two years. Then the UK will ask for more time, and if the other euro nations agree, the negotiations could last forever... until such a time when scenario 1 above could crank in.

Whatever the outcome, it'll involve pretty humoungous waste, generated by a penny wise pound stupid approach to international relations. This whole blackmail approach by whathisname the previous PM was so petty, narrow-minded and contemptuous of other EU members...

Obviously, the UK needs to learn a little humility, and the other nations will make sure the UK learns as much of it as it possibly can...

centrox

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 07:55 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Whatever the outcome, it'll involve pretty humoungous waste, generated by a penny wise pound stupid approach to international relations.

Yes. Absolutely.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 07:58 am
This admission by Justice Secretary David Lidington came hours after Donald Trump said 'very, big big' UK-US trade deal would be completed 'very, very quickly':
UK trade deal with the US will not make up for the damage caused by Brexit
Quote:
David Lidington, the Justice Secretary and Lord Chancellor, said even a “big new trade deal” with the US would not replace the benefits of being in the EU single market and that deals with other countries would be needed too.

“It wouldn’t be enough on its own, no”, he told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show. “But it would be a very good thing to have, as would trade deals with the emerging economies of Asia and Latin America.”

The Justice Secretary said Brexit would give the UK the “flexibility’ to make new trade deals with other countries.

“One of the frustrations sometimes about being part of the EU is that, while the mass of the EU gives it leverage in international trade, it moves sometimes at a tortoise-like pace because all the member states have to agree a common negotiation position,” he said.

“Having the nimbleness and the flexibility [after Brexit], we’ll still be the fifth or sixth biggest economy in the world, that does give us some opportunities.”

georgeob1

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 09:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter you appear to be rather vindictively beating a dead horse. I don't think that any of the players here , Trump or May, or any others, ever thought that trade with the US would replace that with the EU for the UK.

Neither do I believe that, if a Brexit does occur, trade between the UK and continental Europe will entirely cease. That trade between neighboring nations naturally benefits both parties. Brexit may change some of the conditions for that trade, but it will not cease.

I believe Europeans would be wise to reflect seriously on much needed EU reforms, and to seriously address the issues of democratic process, national sovereignty and economic growth that confront it and, as well, the increasingly evident contradictions between the secular-pseudo liberal views that appear to dominate European elites, and the growing real world issues that increasingly confront and threaten them.