Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

Olivier5

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 12:01 am
@georgeob1,
I agree, and Americans too would be wise to reflect seriously on much needed reforms in their democracy, economy, etc.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 03:21 am
Rebel MPs form cross-party group to oppose hard Brexit
Quote:
Rebel Tory and Labour MPs have formed a new cross-party group to oppose hard Brexit, as Theresa May prepares to publish her repeal bill this week transposing all EU legislation into British law.

Anna Soubry, the former Tory minister, and Chuka Umunna, the former Labour shadow business secretary, will lead the alliance with other MPs from the Liberal Democrats, the SNP, the Greens and Plaid Cymru in a new attempt to coordinate the parliamentary fight against May’s hard Brexit plan.

The repeal bill is likely to be the first opportunity for the new group, known as the all-party parliamentary group on EU relations, to scrutinise the next phase of Brexit when it is debated in the autumn.

... ... ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 07:24 am
Brexit: PM making plans to replicate Euratom benefits in face of Tory revolt
Quote:
Theresa May’s government is drawing up plans to replicate the benefits of remaining a member of the Euratom treaty – which governs the movement of nuclear materials across Europe – in the face of a growing rebellion of Conservative MPs.

The Guardian understands that one option being considered is an “associate membership”, similar to that held by Switzerland, or paying money to an international agency to set up an independent arrangement.
Interestingly, there are some in Switzerland who want Switzerland to follow the UK and exit ("Swexit") from Euratom.

What is Euratom and why does it matter?
Quote:
Is this the first of many regulatory rows?
More such awkward disentangling is almost certain to follow as Britain decides whether to leave other European regulatory agencies. But, these questions are currently shrouded in political fudge with the government officially undecided on what happens. So, for now at least, Euratom provides a taste of these many battles to come.

Walter Hinteler

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 07:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
80% of Britain's 1.4m eastern European residents are in work
Quote:
Around 1.4 million eastern Europeans are living in Britain, including 813,700 Polish people, and 80% of them are in work, according to the most complete official picture so far.
[...]
When it comes to securing reciprocal rights for British citizens living in eastern European EU countries, the ONS study shows the numbers involved are relatively small. Only 14,100 Britons live in the EU8 countries, including Poland, and 72% of them are working there. Only 6,000 people are claiming British state pensions in the EU8 countries.

Those eastern Europeans living in Britain are far more likely to be of working age than the resident British population, according to the study, with 74% of them in the 15-49 age bracket. Very few are aged over 65.
georgeob1

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 10:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's unfortunate that one couldn't say the same about the Middle eastern and North African immigrants in the EU.
cicerone imposter

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 10:30 am
@Olivier5,
How can we improve our economy?
georgeob1

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 10:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
Well, we need to do so something to improve our GDP growth or we will soon enough face a serious debt crisis.

We have been running about 1.5% per year below our historical growth rates since the end of the 2007 recession. Over time that makes a huge difference.

Some significant improvements can be quickly achieved by the elimination of some needless elements in a growing tangle of regulations by various departments of government. These have the unintended side effect of harming small, growing businesses and inhibiting the creation of new ones and thereby creating an environment in which only well-connected large established business enterprises survive. This is economic poison. Some of that has already begun and the positive results are already visible.

We already have some of the sclerotic side effects of over regulated labor markets and intrusive social welfare systems that affect Europe. The side effects are in slowed job creation, chronic high unemployment among the young and unskilled, both of which lead to downstream social problems.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 10:56 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
It's unfortunate that one couldn't say the same about the Middle eastern and North African immigrants in the EU.
Well, this report is about EU-citizens in the UK (and a bit about UK-citizens to other EU-countries).

Persons from outside the EU don't have the same rights.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 11:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
By making it work for everone, and not just the 1%. I.e. by strengthening social mobility, equality of chances, fair taxation levels, etc.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 12:10 pm
The European Parliament, which has the right to veto any Brexit deal, told Britain today to improve its offer for EU citizens – or face having it rejected.

EU Parliament condemns UK Brexit proposals on citizen rights
ehBeth

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 12:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Can't they simply let the Brexit happen in its time. No new deal.

Let that stuff sort itself out once Britain is used to being on its own.

____

edit: i.e. no benefits for anyone. Everyone takes back their citizens etc.
Olivier5

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 12:16 pm
@ehBeth,
The lives of one or two million people are at stake.
ehBeth

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 12:22 pm
@Olivier5,
They're going to die?
Olivier5

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 12:26 pm
@ehBeth,
No but they will lose their jobs, and will need to relocate to another country, starting from scratch. It's not a pleasant outcome so I hope we can avoid it, if at all possible.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 12:28 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
edit: i.e. no benefits for anyone. Everyone takes back their citizens etc.
Shouldn't there be some protection of vested rights?

Do you really suggest that UK-citizens should expelled from EU-countries?
And EU-citizens from the UK to ... where? They have the right to settle in (then) 27 EU-countries. And to Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway plus (a bit limited) to Switzerland. (The free movement of persons is one of the core rights guaranteed in the European Economic Area as well.)
ossobucotemp

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 12:52 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Doesn't NHS somewhat depend on EU nurses and mds, etc.. I think I remember reading that; not that all of those work at NHS are EU people, but that some are. Correct me if I'm off base.
Olivier5

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 01:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You're correct, the NHS depends heavily on foreign workers including from other EU countries.
0 Replies

Blickers

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 01:19 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
We have been running about 1.5% per year below our historical growth rates since the end of the 2007 recession. Over time that makes a huge difference.

I think our GDP output could use improvement, but Obama's stimulus package did an admirable job getting back on track. The Republican actions of downtalking the recovery, shutting down the government numerous times and threatening to default on our debt payment-the very heart of the world's financial faith in America-slowed things down quite a bit. Makes you wonder how many Republicans are as indebted to Russia as Trump seems to be, since Russia's worst nightmare is a prosperous America which has the respect of the world.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2j2hu06.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 01:31 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/LnsF2Zb.jpg

NB: That's England, not the UK
0 Replies

Blickers

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 01:34 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
We already have some of the sclerotic side effects of over regulated labor markets and intrusive social welfare systems that affect Europe. The side effects are in slowed job creation, chronic high unemployment among the young and unskilled, both of which lead to downstream social problems.

What's the color of the sky in your world? Here's the record of Full Time jobs since Obama took office-the year after the country LOST 6 Million Full Time jobs under Bush. The slide continued down for a year then Obama's policies put a stop to it and it went up, up, up for the rest of his term.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2607c5g.png

Of course, you'll continue posting the same things I just disproved because the media people you like keep saying them as if they were true, and considering all these people dear to your heart might be wrong or even deceitful is not something you are willing to consider. Facts be damned.

0 Replies