Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

McGentrix

Mon 29 May, 2017 08:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Does all this mean all the EU countries will start paying their 2%?
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 May, 2017 08:53 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Does all this mean all the EU countries will start paying their 2%?
The EU-membership isn't 2%.

NATO is different to the EU - membership of the one organisation doesn't make you automatically a member of the other. (Albania, Canada, Iceland, Norway, Turkey and the United States are NATO-members, but not in the EU. Austria, Finland, Ireland, Malta and Sweden are EU-member countries, but not in the NATO.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 31 May, 2017 01:36 am
The latest polls from YouGov shows that the big gamble by PM May could cost her majority lead in parliament. This is not something which she would have wanted.
However, it was a similar situation when Cameron took the gamble for the Brexit vote.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Wed 31 May, 2017 01:54 am
Will the UK still be playing Euromillions after it has exited the European Union?.

This is an important issue, I don't want any non European Johnny Foreigner winning my millions.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 31 May, 2017 06:18 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Not everything which has "euro" in it, is an EU-organisation: Europe isn't and the transnational lottery EuroMillions isn't, too.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 8 Jun, 2017 05:18 am
Brit election.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/election-polls-labour-conservative-winner

Lash

Thu 8 Jun, 2017 06:35 am
@Lash,
Corbyn may win.

Interesting article!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/a-british-election-campaign-that-few-expected-ends-in-a-way-that-no-one-could-have-predicted/2017/06/07/664f5280-3a45-11e7-a59b-26e0451a96fd_story.html?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.06eaa7327d9c
georgeob1

Thu 8 Jun, 2017 08:28 am
@Lash,
Remarkable ! In my view Corbyn is about as out of touch with reality as a politician can get. I still doubt the people of the UK will elect him, but stranger things have happened. Sometimes when the unsettling challenges presented by intractable issues, such as the British face with unassimilated immigrants who despise the culture of the country in which they chose to live, voters turn to familiar distractions, no matter how unrealistic they may be.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 8 Jun, 2017 09:33 am
@georgeob1,
Actually, Corbyn would be/will be elected by just by the voters in his constituency, Islington North. He holds this seat since 1983 - got elected eight times (I think).

In a UK's General Election, you can only vote to elect your local MP, even ig it's the acting PM or a leader of a political party.
The Prime Minister is appointed by the Queen, usually it's the leader of the party with the most seats.
centrox

Thu 8 Jun, 2017 10:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Actually, Corbyn would be/will be elected by just by the voters in his constituency, Islington North.

I think a lot of the Americans on here think that the UK elections are presidential in nature. Of course the personality and perceived qualities of a party leader matter, sometimes crucially, but we vote to put in power the party whose policies we support.
Lash

Thu 8 Jun, 2017 10:38 am
@georgeob1,
Politics as usual can't be relied on currently, it seems. Glad to see you pop up.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 8 Jun, 2017 10:40 am
@centrox,
I do get the basic process, but you know who is perceived to be the leader of the parties from news coverage, eh?
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 8 Jun, 2017 08:17 pm
Amazing. Corbyn has 148 seats; May--133

Could lose, but this seems fated.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 9 Jun, 2017 05:43 am
This will be interesting! From my limited understanding, it appears that the 'chaos' cited by many papers due to the lack of a majority means that some deal-making and leveraging is likely underway right now to decide who's running the government across the pond.

I have no idea which parties may align to point toward a leadership position.

Could Lib Dems join Labour? I have no ideas.

Would love to hear prognosticators' thoughts.

I think it seems clear that a bit of populism carried the day. It does seem like a partial nod toward the policies of Jeremy Corbyn - as well as a sharp rebuke of May and Co's austerity policies.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 9 Jun, 2017 05:54 am
@Lash,
As the leader of the party which got the most seats, May has ask the Queen for admission to form the new government. (The Conservatives seem to have a deal with the DUP,)

[Labour with the LibDems and other parties was impossible.]
Lash

Fri 9 Jun, 2017 05:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you. Obviously, that's not what I've read reported, but it seems plausible.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 9 Jun, 2017 05:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
And just now May said in front of No 10 (she had returned from Buckimham Palace) that only the Conservatives and DUP can form a government that will provide certainty ...
Lash

Fri 9 Jun, 2017 06:00 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah! Was just reading this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/09/suddenly-become-important-democratic-unionist-party-could-hold/

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 9 Jun, 2017 06:17 am
May said:
Quote:
I have just been to see Her Majesty the Queen, and I will now form a government – a government that can provide certainty and lead Britain forward at this critical time for our country.
[...]
What the country needs more than ever is certainty, and having secured the largest number of votes and the greatest number of seats in the General Election, it is clear that only the Conservative & Unionist Party has the legitimacy and ability to provide that certainty by commanding a majority in the House of Commons. As we do, we will continue to work with our friends and allies in the Democratic Unionist Party in particular.
Our two parties have enjoyed a strong relationship over many years, and this gives me the confidence to believe that we will be able to work together in the interests of the whole United Kingdom.
This will allow us to come together as a country and channel our energies towards a successful Brexit deal that works for everyone in this country – securing a new partnership with the EU which guarantees our long term prosperity. That’s what people voted for last June.That’s what we will deliver. Now let’s get to work.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 9 Jun, 2017 07:00 am
Need to read about the DUP. What problems might they have with the Tories...