Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

ossobucotemp

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Tell who ever it is, Hello, from me, plus that I agree.

Not only your country..
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:45 pm
@centrox,
Very cool to me. I'm architecturally inclined. I've shown my place here at a2k but my stuff doesn't show anymore, computer fudge forever.

This is of course, off topic, but maybe I can work it back to topic after I say I live in a tract, and as landscape architect/planner and sometime architectural designer, I was never fond of tracts that I worked on, more I liked old houses. Ok, a few tracts, in Los Angeles. Years later, I got less mean. I like my tract, beautiful area. Stupid planning design in this city, don't get me going.

I'll bring this back to Britain, as I worry, all sorts of folks in trouble.
My visceral reaction is the Brexit is stupid.
Olivier5

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 12:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's not over until it's over but yes, Macron is almost a sure winner in 2 weeks. I am not aware of his stance on Brexit. I'm just happy that my candidate won.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 01:18 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I am not aware of his stance on Brexit.
In February, Macron wrote:
Il ne peut pas y avoir un Brexit qui conduise en quelque sorte à une optimisation de la relation de la Grande-Bretagne avec le reste de l'Europe. Une sortie est une sortie. [...] Il n'y aura pas d'accès au marché unique sans contribution budgétaire. [...] Je serai très attaché pour ma part à ce qu'il n'y ait pas d'avantages indus.
Olivier5

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 04:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Okay, the regular stance of a europhile nowadays.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 10:32 am
@Olivier5,
Seven days after Ms May called the snap election from the steps of 10
Quote:
Downing Street, opposition to leaving the European Union rose to 44 per cent, according to the latest YouGov figures, while the same percentage thought Brexit was right.

The figures, analysed by election expert Mike Smithson, show that support and opposition to Brexit were now level-pegging, at a crucial time for the Government.
Source
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 12:30 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You say stupid, I say ridiculous. Why would anyone want to divorce their neighbor? They have common interests.
ossobucotemp

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 12:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I see it from what I take are europhile views, but also think Britain is making a mistake. I like Britain rather a lot, from afar, but also the euro countries. Well, we'll see.
saab

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 01:02 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
but also the euro countries.

So the Scandinavian countries and a couple of others you do not like Shocked
ossobucotemp

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 01:08 pm
@saab,
Wrong wording by me. Of course I like them. In fact, I was irritated when the Euro showed up, so I clung to all my leftover italian lire that I so enjoyed, now in a little packet in my jewelry drawer.
saab

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 01:13 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I know - it was just a joke.

Guess I should not have joked about something so important as the Euro. Got thumb down right away.
centrox

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 01:51 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
I live in a tract, and as landscape architect/planner and sometime architectural designer, I was never fond of tracts that I worked on, more I liked old houses.

I had to look up what a tract house is - I see they are called, rather snootily, 'cookie cutter' houses. What I live in is, I guess, the Victorian equivalent. We call them 'terraced' houses, and there are vast areas of British cities and towns that were developed between about 1870 - 1910 with them. Built to a standard design, with standardised components. Wikipedia says they are called 'townhouses' in the US. What is claimed to be the oldest purely residential street with original buildings surviving intact in Europe is a street of terraced houses, Vicar's Close, in Wells, Somerset, about 30 miles away from me. It was built between 1348 and 1450. I must admit that date amazed me! My house, according to the deeds, was built in 1903. I bought it with a 20 year mortgage in 1995 for the equivalent of $50,000 and now it is worth around $320,000 maybe more although that isn't real money because if I sold it I would have to buy somewhere else that cost just as much. My inner city district is much in demand by hipsters.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Vicars_Close_Wells_Somerset.jpg
Foofie

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
But, since you are not Jewish, and I believe do not have the two-thousand year learning curve that Jews have, in knowing better than Gentiles, "how to survive as a pariah minority," you do not apparently have the awareness that "hating" does not equate to "acting out."

You're one dumb, ignorant, Jew.
http://forward.com/news/breaking-news/178160/jewish-poverty-skyrockets-in-new-york-doubles-in/

Oh, you're being complimentary to me again, Sire.
0 Replies

saab

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:02 pm
My daugher moved into a I think one would call a Victorian house too - about 100 years old and very charmy.
https://imgs.nestimg.com/terraced_westcliff_on_sea_3920014489058996116.jpg
just the style not the house nor the area
Foofie

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:02 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cicerone, you often complain rather bitterly about the internment of Japanese during WWII, and the American racism you (wrongfully in my view) say lies behind it. Given that, it appears to me you should be a bit more sensitive than you are to the feelings of others who have suffered far worse than that in other places.

Stupidity and ignorance take many forms and you should perhaps be a bit more concerned about your own.

Your perceptions might explain why two cousins joined the Navy in WWII, and one uncle went into the Seabees.
0 Replies

Foofie

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

No. Our government put us American citizens into concentration camps without being charged with any crime. That was wrong, because they ignored our Constitution.
You're a whitey who will never understand the treatment of Japanese Americans who fought during WWII in Europe and was the most decorated of any unit in US history.
You're a racial bigot who fails to understand American history.
http://www.history.com/news/unlikely-world-war-ii-soldiers-awarded-nations-highest-honor

Concentration camps worked people to death, or if they couldn't work, killed them with Zyclon-B. You were in an internment camp. No one died. And, in some people's opinion, that move prevented Japanese spies from hiding in the Japanese ethnic enclaves on the west coast. The Japanese were using biological weapons in Manchuria. The internment prevented something worse than internment.
ossobucotemp

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:07 pm
@saab,
I knew you were teasing me, and besides I used the wrong initials. You and I can always talk anyway.
0 Replies

Foofie

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:12 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Both Cicerone and my long time favorite design boss/colleague, both Japanese Americans, lived as children in those camps for "japs", a word I hate to type but fits what people thought. Our Sawtelle area in west Los Angeles was scoured of japanese americans. I remember the racisim behind it, from someone in my family, though I was young.. it lingered on. I think that was when I first learned about hate.

How dare you chide CI?

This reminds me of Trump time.

Similar to the Vietnam Conflict, there were pejorative words used then too (Gooks, Dinks). They are not used today, and Vietnamese live very nice lives in the U.S.A.

And, in W.W.I the Germans were Huns. Not today.

During war, the enemy is given a less than complimentary moniker. Perhaps, you should chastise the Brits for calling the Pakistanis in London, "Pakis"? And, that pejorative is during peace time.

And, it is not "hate" that motivates all pejorative adhominems. It can just be "contempt" or possibly just asserting one's "separateness." You know, the attitude of some "good Catholics" regarding the faith called Judaism.
0 Replies

Foofie

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:24 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Foofie did indeed express some perhaps ironic hostility, or at least aversion, to Gentiles generally, ( sadly a fairly constant theme for him/her (?) ). Hardly an endearing act, however it doesn't require anyone to call him a "stupid Jew".

"Aversion"? More like "wariness." The old joke based on the double entendre explains, "Scratch a Gentile and underneath find an anti-Semite." Often times true, which leads me to believe many Gentiles are only pretending to have lost the anti-Semitism of past generations. As Christianity has proven, take away the clay idol, and Baptize the pagan, and the message of Christ still might not have "taken."
cicerone imposter

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:27 pm
@Foofie,
From Merriam Webster:
Quote:
concentration camp
noun
Definition of concentration camp for English Language Learners
: a type of prison where large numbers of people who are not soldiers are kept during a war and are usually forced to live in very bad conditions

My family and I were kept at the Tule Lake Concentration Camp. The conditions were deplorable. We were not tortured, but lived behind barbed wire fence with guard towers surrounding our camp. Our home was one room of a barrack with four rooms. The construction was boards covered with tar-paper. The wooden floors were not sealed, and during the winter months, we had snow.