Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

ossobucotemp

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:32 pm
@centrox,
Vicar's Close, so beautiful.

There were tracks, a few of them almost famous, in the Los Angeles area, that I really liked. And there are famous early tracts in the US that are, or were, soul rupturing. We've threads on all that. I started a bunch, but I wasn't the only one.

I've lived in some wonderful houses, but for long story reasons have had to downsize. I actually like my present small 'townhouse', which I think of as The Lemon. What is wrong, to me, is the lack of gathering places, much less actual stores, in a wide swath of land of thousands of beige houses, plus poor transportation. The old me would agitate, at the least go to the city departments, muster support for some changes, but I've enough going on. Anyway, Albuquerque, New Mexico, must have had a poor planning department, if any at all, early on, as well as recently.
georgeob1

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 03:15 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

"Aversion"? More like "wariness." The old joke based on the double entendre explains, "Scratch a Gentile and underneath find an anti-Semite." Often times true, which leads me to believe many Gentiles are only pretending to have lost the anti-Semitism of past generations. As Christianity has proven, take away the clay idol, and Baptize the pagan, and the message of Christ still might not have "taken."
I think you would be wise to get over that stuff. Our common human nature has been creating misery for others as long as recorded history. Saul and David weren't particularly nice to the Canaanites either, and Israel today has its detectable imperfections, including the exploitation of others - all rationalized, and many, (not all), necessary for the preservation of the state.

With a little wordsmithing the piece you pasted above could just as well have been written about Jews, and with equivalent accuracy. The remedy here for all is tolerance, and some consideration of others.
centrox

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 03:53 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
My daugher moved into a I think one would call a Victorian house too - about 100 years old and very charmy.

Are you sure? Looks inter-war to me.
ossobucotemp

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 03:57 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Oops, I meant tracts..
0 Replies

saab

Tue 25 Apr, 2017 06:00 am
@centrox,
Good - I am not so sure about the style names of British houses. Just like them and like the house she moved into.
Must say I always get in a good mood as soon as I land in GB. I like the way the British keep a certain distance and still are so friendly, talk to you or maybe just say hello and smile.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:37 am
@georgeob1,
Foodie suffers from victim phobia. She needs to seek a mental health professional.
0 Replies

Foofie

Tue 25 Apr, 2017 12:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

From Merriam Webster:
Quote:
concentration camp
noun
Definition of concentration camp for English Language Learners
: a type of prison where large numbers of people who are not soldiers are kept during a war and are usually forced to live in very bad conditions

My family and I were kept at the Tule Lake Concentration Camp. The conditions were deplorable. We were not tortured, but lived behind barbed wire fence with guard towers surrounding our camp. Our home was one room of a barrack with four rooms. The construction was boards covered with tar-paper. The wooden floors were not sealed, and during the winter months, we had snow.

No one is asking anyone to forgive that occurrence. But, what good does it do to bring it up? I don't have any guilt; not only was I not born yet then, but I would have had no involvement in the decision to inter anyone. And, I cannot tell a Japanese from any other Asian. I have even had trouble discerning differences in Caucasians, especially from northern Europe. My point is that if I do not ask for your lamenting about the less than friendly welcome my family endured in NYC in the late nineteenth century, and early to mid twentieth century, it might be more productive to focus on the positive future your family can enjoy now.
Foofie

Tue 25 Apr, 2017 12:34 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Foofie wrote:

"Aversion"? More like "wariness." The old joke based on the double entendre explains, "Scratch a Gentile and underneath find an anti-Semite." Often times true, which leads me to believe many Gentiles are only pretending to have lost the anti-Semitism of past generations. As Christianity has proven, take away the clay idol, and Baptize the pagan, and the message of Christ still might not have "taken."
I think you would be wise to get over that stuff. Our common human nature has been creating misery for others as long as recorded history. Saul and David weren't particularly nice to the Canaanites either, and Israel today has its detectable imperfections, including the exploitation of others - all rationalized, and many, (not all), necessary for the preservation of the state.

With a little wordsmithing the piece you pasted above could just as well have been written about Jews, and with equivalent accuracy. The remedy here for all is tolerance, and some consideration of others.

Who said I was not tolerant? I am tolerant in my behavior. No acting out, remember? My personal feelings are mine. Please let me live without the homily. I just do not trust the masses for making good choices for society. So, I have little to do with most; too depressing to listen to anyone spreading the Gospel under the guise of secular wisdom. Just let's say I should have been born a WASP in middle America to truly enjoy this life, without the hubris of the uneducated/marginally educated, and those who think that they "have arrived," by virtue of not enduring the poverty of just a generation or two ago.

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Apr, 2017 12:40 pm
@Foofie,
It does good to prove to young Americans what has happened in this country, and not to repeat its mistakes.
Trump's Muslim ban proves my point.
Foofie

Tue 25 Apr, 2017 01:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It does good to prove to young Americans what has happened in this country, and not to repeat its mistakes.
Trump's Muslim ban proves my point.

A la Eric Hoffer (good article on Wikipedia) I am not a True Believer willing to sacrifice myself for someone else's cause. Meaning, if Muslims spoke up against terrorism, I'd be more inclined to see your point. Otherwise, you are just "doing a saint" before canonization, in my opinion.
georgeob1

Tue 25 Apr, 2017 01:20 pm
@Foofie,
OK. However you have increased my understanding of Cicerone's irritability about all this..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Apr, 2017 01:25 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
And, I cannot tell a Japanese from any other Asian.

I'm Asian, and I can't tell the difference. So, what's your point? The government did what they did based on race. Trump's eo to "ban all Muslims" has the same ignorant issues.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Apr, 2017 01:27 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Meaning, if Muslims spoke up against terrorism, I'd be more inclined to see your point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_attitudes_toward_terrorism

That's only self-serving, and doesn't prove anything.
ossobucotemp

Tue 25 Apr, 2017 03:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks for finding and posting that, CI. It's probably to no avail, as he or she is apt not to listen.

I think of asians every day: In my hallway, I have three paintings of horses running in Mongolia, by a Mongolian artist who showed up at our gallery in California one day. Good painter. My business partner and I both bought some of what he showed us. We wanted to give him a show, but he couldn't stay in town long enough for it to happen. He made his living mostly as a traveling tattoo artist..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 26 Apr, 2017 12:35 am
Quote:
Exclusive: anger at bureaucracy affecting EU nationals drives call to be heard at Brussels summit endorsing exit negotiations

Leaders in Europe will demand that Theresa May respects the right of EU nationals who have lived in the UK for five years to acquire permanent residence in the country, in a sign of growing anger over the perceived bureaucratic hurdles being put in their way.

The call will be made at a summit on Saturday, where the leaders of the 27 other EU member states are set to sign their negotiating guidelines, detailing Brussels’ opening position in the talks due to start in June.

The guidelines were amended by officials on Monday to strengthen demands over Britain’s €60bn divorce bill, open the door to further cooperation on EU-UK foreign policy and law enforcement, and add a call for transparency during the talks.

The member state officials have also included an extra clause on the legal position of EU nationals who have lived in the UK over a long period.

The EU document had always insisted on reciprocal guarantees “to safeguard the status and rights derived from EU law at the date of withdrawal”, but now says: “Such guarantees must be effective, enforceable, non-discriminatory and comprehensive, including the right to acquire permanent residence after a continuous period of five years of legal residence. Citizens should be able to exercise their rights through smooth and simple administrative procedures.”
[...]
The row emerged as it was claimed that the Home Office was also trying to discourage EU nationals from even starting applications. The claim was prompted by a new entry on the Home Office’s website that suggests to potential applicants: “If you’re planning to apply for a document just to confirm your status, you can sign up for email alerts instead.”
[...]
It has also been suggested that the British government may be seeking to gather data on EU citizens for the first time. Unlike almost every other country in Europe, there is no need for EU nationals to register for residence when they move to the UK, leaving the Home Office without a firm hold on who is in the country. The home secretary, Amber Rudd, has been reportedly instructed to address the gap in knowledge as a matter of urgency.
Source
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 26 Apr, 2017 05:58 am
Could Corbyn ride to power on the Brexit (or Soft Brexit) wave? This situation is even more complicated than it initially seemed and reverberations are seemingly endless.

Watching with interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/25/vote-labour-jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may?CMP=fb_gu
Walter Hinteler

Wed 26 Apr, 2017 06:25 am
@Lash,
A mega-poll of nearly 13,000 voters by YouGov conducted over a two and a half week period found Jeremy Corbyn would be heading to Downing Street ... were the election decided by 18-40 year olds.

Labour is particular popular with women under 40, who split 42 per cent in favour of Mr Corbyn’s party and 27 per cent for Theresa May’s. 12 per cent support the Lib Dems.
Men under 40 also back Labour by 32 per cent to 31 per cent for the Conservatives, with 18 per cent backing the Lib Dems.

YouGov poll
Report @ The Independent
Lash

Wed 26 Apr, 2017 06:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 05:30 am
I really wonder about the outcome of today's summit: the budget blockade by the UK for the EU's "midterm review" and the following reactions from other EU-countries (especially the surprising speech by Merkel in our parliament) augur badly.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 05:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/Zfjf3fj.jpg