Brexit. Why do Brits want Out of the EU?

centrox

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 08:25 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

'Brenda from Bristol' captures British mood on snap general elections in viral video

"You're joking! Another one?"

I live in Bristol; it's lovely to hear her accent. That house she is standing in front of is just like mine.

georgeob1

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 09:52 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I don't think time spent in an internment camp is a free ticket to calling someone a stupid Jew. You'd think that experience would give that person more sensitivity about racial/ethnic slurs. The fact that you've all calculated the victim's popularity doesn't excuse it.

Well said, Lash. There is indeed an element of piling on here that doesn't speak well for the majority of those joining in.

Foofie did indeed express some perhaps ironic hostility, or at least aversion, to Gentiles generally, ( sadly a fairly constant theme for him/her (?) ). Hardly an endearing act, however it doesn't require anyone to call him a "stupid Jew".

The internment camps to which Japanese Americans were confined during WWII were a very different thing from those used by the Germans and Japanese for perceived alien groups during that War.

Cicerone is a much more pleasant individual, in person, than he often appears on these threads . However, calling other posters "stupid", while at the same time employing truly stupid epithets like "stupid Jew", "whitey" , etc. is not either acceptable or admirable.

For Osso, it wasn't much of a dare at all, however I'm confident you will eventually recover your equilibrium.
cicerone imposter

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 11:36 am
@saab,
Here's the history of Tule Lake on Italian and German prisoners.
Quote:

The Tulelake CCC Camp (designated BF-3), built between 1935 and 1938, included 30 buildings. All of the buildings were wood frame with board and batten siding. The administration, barracks, mess hall, and hospital were grouped around a courtyard, with the service area and related structures to the south. Because both times the WRA used the CCC camp were of fairly short duration, it seems likely that few changes were made at the CCC camp for the evacuees.

However, alterations did occur later during World War II when the CCC camp was converted for use as a Prisoner of War (POW) camp in May 1944. A double fence was constructed to form a compound around the barracks and mess hall. Four guard towers with searchlights were built at the corners, and a patrol road, gate, and sentry post were also added for security. The laundry building was enlarged and a latrine, septic tanks, and a sewage system were added. A guard house was built within a separately fenced area within the fenced compound. Two CCC garages, the oil house, and the water tower were removed from within the fenced compound. Outside the fenced compound two military barracks, a mess hall and kitchen, a latrine, and a new water tower were added.

About 150 Italian POWs lived in tents while setting up the POW camp, while their guards were housed in a high school gym in the nearby town of Tulelake. The Italians were shipped out and in June, 250 German POWs arrived. The POW camp reached its peak population, of 800, by October. The POWs were used by local farmers and by the Bureau of Reclamation to clear area canals of moss and algae.
saab

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 12:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We know a couple of Germans, who were POWs, in I think North Carolina.
They were very well treated by the Americans. The food was good,they had
possibilities to borrow books and continue their education, one of them even
started on his doctoral.
centrox

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 12:18 pm
I know of one POW who escaped and was never caught. At the end of the war, Georg Gärtner escaped from a prisoner of war camp in Deming, New Mexico, because he was afraid of being turned over to the Soviets. He called himself Dennis Whiles and got married, worked as a ski instructor, tennis pro, artist and contractor. He "surrendered" in 1985 on TV to Bryant Gumbel on The Daily Show. The government was bewildered about what to charge him with. He was not an illegal immigrant, since he had been brought to the United States against his will. He hadn't really escaped from prison because all German POWs were to be repatriated to their original homes and he was due to be sent back to his hometown in Silesia, which was now occupied by the Russians. Moreover, he had escaped several weeks AFTER the end of the war on Sept. 1, 1945, and there was some question if he was still a prisoner of war. Because of this, he was not charged with any offences and invited to become an American citizen. Due to bureaucratic delays, it was not until November 2009 that he was finally naturalized as a citizen of the U.S. in South Denver. Gärtner lived in Boulder, Colorado until his death in Loveland, Colorado in 2013.

cicerone imposter

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 12:23 pm
@centrox,
Interesting story with a good outcome. Thanks for sharing.
Our country put us into concentration camps for four years during WWII without being charged with any crime because we looked like the enemy, but I'm still glad that our grandparents came to this country in the late 19th century.
centrox

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 12:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Interesting story with a good outcome.

One sad outcome. He married his wife Jean in 1964, but by the time he came forward in 1985, he still hadn't told her his real past, and she filed for divorce.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 12:48 pm
If Macron wins the second round of the French election (which seems likely, IMHO), it means the UK will face another very tough negotiator over Brexit.
georgeob1

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 12:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It sometimes appears that Walter hopes the British will suffer at the hands of a rejected and possibly vengeful EU.

I believe that such an outcome would, in the long term, be a Phyrric victory for the EU, costing them far more than any likely gain.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 01:13 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
It sometimes appears that Walter hopes the British will suffer at the hands of a rejected and possibly vengeful EU.
I would never want Le Pen to become French president.

I do think that the British will suffer - that's the result of the vote. But since a majority wanted it ...

One of my English friends (a former Abuzzer/A2K'er) wrote today: "I have joined the resistance, honestly it doesn't feel like my country any more. I'm a partisan, one of those fighters left behind as my country has moved away from me."
centrox

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 01:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

A most unfair comment by georgeob1.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
I do think that the British will suffer - that's the result of the vote. But since a majority wanted it ...

A majority of the people who voted, roughly one-third of those eligible to vote, and a narrow majority at that (51-49). Not a landslide by any means. I think we will suffer, but it won't be a punishment, it'll be reaping what we have sown. Anyhow, I don't feel right saying "we" because of this:

Walter Hinteler wrote:
One of my English friends (a former Abuzzer/A2K'er) wrote today: "I have joined the resistance, honestly it doesn't feel like my country any more. I'm a partisan, one of those fighters left behind as my country has moved away from me."

This is exactly how I feel. The battle is not over.
georgeob1

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 01:43 pm
@centrox,
Then It appears my impression was correct. Walter even predicted some suffering for the British people following Brexit, and appears to expect tough negotiations on the part of the EU Ministers involved. Given that, I don't see anything inaccurate or unfair at all in my earlier comment.

Whether the fight or struggle over Brexit is over or not is something for the British people to decide. PM May has called for another election, which may be an appropriate venue for that. Given the consequences, I believe this was a wise and prudent move: a victory will give her a stronger hand in the negotiations, while a defeat will give the country a chance to rethink its decision.
centrox

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 01:53 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Then It appears my impression was correct. Walter even predicted some suffering for the British people following Brexit, and appears to expect tough negotiations on the part of the EU Ministers involved. Given that, I don't see anything inaccurate or unfair at all in my earlier comment.

You seemed to suggest that Walter "hopes" that Britain will suffer because of these tough negotiations. I see no evidence of this. I think he was just making (as I do) an accurate prediction. Maybe he hopes, and expects (as I do) that the rest of the 27 EU countries will act in a way that protects their interests.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:05 pm
@centrox,
Yes to all.

But it still can work out totally different ... Theresa May's U-turn re election wasn't really expected either.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

If Macron wins the second round of the French election (which seems likely, IMHO), it means the UK will face another very tough negotiator over Brexit.

Maybe, but I'll bet the majority of Brits would rather see that than see Marine Le Pen become French president.

Watching the ongoing French election, I'm not thinking at all about the potential consequences for Britain.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:07 pm
@centrox,
Nice house!
ossobucotemp

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:15 pm
@saab,
I think I remember that from some while ago, that there was, um, relatively good treatment, maybe in Arizona, but that's just a flicker in reading memory.

That's interesting, if it holds up, which I figure it does, compared to Guantanamo.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:18 pm
@centrox,
What a life..
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Geez, I hope so.
0 Replies

centrox

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:20 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Nice house!

Part of my street... my house is not in this picture, but you get the idea...
https://i.imgbox.com/XBLqMmKV.jpg