Commercials on Television

gollum

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 05:16 pm
Do all TV stations have the same number of minutes per viewing hour for commercials?

Do the stations coordinate their news programs so that the commercials are broadcast at the same time?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,153 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 07:02 pm
@gollum,
Simply, no and no. Stations pay for their news program from the commercials - except for PBS.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 07:05 pm
@gollum,
I don't know if that's true, but it sure seems like it. Commercial breaks can last as long as 5 minutes, then 11 minutes of show, then commercials for the next three. I haven't actually done any serious research on this, but occasionally I use a stopwatch and time the programs just to make sure I'm not imagining the commercial breaks are overly long and frequent.

Every so often I forget what I'm watching because the commercial breaks are so long. I try to remember to record the shows I want to watch so I can fast forward thru the commercials.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 07:11 pm
@glitterbag,
Recording a show you want to watch is the best way to overcome commercialitis.
Also, many shows will have long commercials just before the end of a story. They think you're already hooked and will watch the commercial too. I got news for them.....
0 Replies