What does BMS stand for?

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 01:57 pm

Context:
Soft Hair on Black Holes

Stephen W. Hawking, Malcolm J. Perry, Andrew Strominger
(Submitted on 5 Jan 2016)
It has recently been shown that BMS supertranslation symmetries imply an infinite number of conservation laws for all gravitational theories in asymptotically Minkowskian spacetimes. These laws require black holes to carry a large amount of soft (i.e. zero-energy) supertranslation hair. The presence of a Maxwell field similarly implies soft electric hair. This paper gives an explicit description of soft hair in terms of soft gravitons or photons on the black hole horizon, and shows that complete information about their quantum state is stored on a holographic plate at the future boundary of the horizon. Charge conservation is used to give an infinite number of exact relations between the evaporation products of black holes which have different soft hair but are otherwise identical. It is further argued that soft hair which is spatially localized to much less than a Planck length cannot be excited in a physically realizable process, giving an effective number of soft degrees of freedom proportional to the horizon area in Planck units.

More:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1601.00921
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 2

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 02:32 pm
@oristarA,
That is a term that is clearly spelled out (as clear as advanced physics can be) when you Google the term:
bondi-metzner-sachs symmetry

Here's the link:
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/130117/bondi-metzner-sachs-bms-symmetry-of-asymptotically-flat-space-times

Excerpted from the cross-link at Cornell article source from which you quoted it is further explained:
"First of all, from reading the original papers by Bondi, Metzner and Sachs, I know that the "BMS symmetry" is just an allowed subset of coordinate diffeomorphisms which leaves the asymptotic flatness of the space-time intact. However, when I read the paper above, the BMS symmetry is stated in form of a vector field eq. (2.10) and (2.14). "
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 03:15 pm
When I was a kid Hermann Bondi ("Professor Bondi") used to appear on BBC TV whenever they needed someone who could explain clearly something esoteric in physics or cosmology. He was one of the most fearsomely intelligent people I knew of.

0 Replies