Possibility of supernova fragment "meteorites" reaching Earth

iron-60

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 10:29 pm
@farmerman,
I don't have all of the specifics on the EDaX....just the results of ~70% chromium/~30%iron.....the test was done at James Madison Univ. in Virginia.....EDS-SEMS was done before the fragments came into my possession....kind of a long story.....geologist said, quote, "I hesitate to call it stainless steel because I've never seen or heard of anything with that much chromium".....I contacted him attempting to gain more specifics but he did not retain any info or notes about the tests. I will contact him again and see if the scanning mode you referred to might be standard operating procedure in his department. Thanks for the insight.....sounds like a good test to run. Chemist that ran TOF-SIMS told me that the primary matrix structure was chromium.

As for surface etching......no.....that is the natural appearance.....there is a flat surface on fragment #2 where EDS-SEMS sample was removed (a fairly large sample I might add, I actually cringed when I saw that) that would be ideal polishing/etching.....I have been reluctant to do so up to this point.....don't want to contaminate anything before any addition testing may be done (I hope).
iron-60

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 10:30 pm
@farmerman,
Also....will send my report to Koretev
0 Replies

iron-60

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 10:34 pm
@rosborne979,
Really good link.....I will contact every one on the list.....thanks
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 06:30 am
@iron-60,
Jimmy MAdison eh, I Dr Kearns still there or did he retire?
iron-60

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 08:38 am
@farmerman,
Yes.....Lance Kearns.....he's the one....last time I talked to him was about a year ago.....don't know if he retired yet
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 08:40 pm
@iron-60,
Fun story about that singing frog.
0 Replies