HELP CAR ADVICE NEEDED

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 09:03 pm
Hello, my name is Jason, I currently am driving a Pontiac grand am 1992 quad 4 (from hell) it has so many problems, I fix a couple and two more come along, and I might ask about it in a post later on, my big question is concerning a new car which I would like to purchase, because I am heading across the usa back home, I am currently in Maine, and I am going home to south Dakota, its about a 2600 mile trip, my 92 barely made it here (lost the alternator on the mass pike at midnight) cost me over 300 to get it done in a small town.

The new car is a 1999 Pontiac grand am SE, 2 dr model, strange because most of them were four door models unless they were GT, this car is in exceptionally good condition, and it is a repossession from a female college student who couldn't afford the payments and I imagine she paid a pretty sum for the vehicle when it was new. There are a few minor scratches but otherwise the forest green paint is in immaculate condition.

The dealer is reputable and I checked out old customers and all were satisfied despite the fact it is a smalltime dealership. Despite my bad credit requiring a 2000.00 down payment on a car that is only being sold for 3995.00, I caught a break being my father knows the head mechanic and they will sell it to me for 800.00 cash down, and pay my loan off in just under a year, resulting in a short no hassle loan period. I have checked this vehicle out on NADA and KELLEY and they all show it running retail at 6995.00.

The only concern I have is this car has 115k already on it, but I have been told that this vehicle may last a long time if it is routinely maintained, I was looking for some advice on this as I am not completely sure of this buy.

Jason
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,133 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:11 pm
Even today, that's getting towards the high mileage area, though much depends on the maintenance it received during those miles. Original owners probably take better care of their cars than subsequent owners. One of the credit rating companies (Equifax or Experian) will sell all the vin number checks for something like $20 or $30 a month. They should at least give the number of registered owners, and try to give good info on crash damage.

If you don't know cars, look under the hood anyway. You do not want aftermarket air cleaners, jury rigged repairs, or messy wiring. Somewhat dirty is normal - a freshly scrubbed look might mean they are hiding oil leaks. As you imply, it sounds almost too good to be true.
0 Replies

notsurewhattodo

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:53 pm
so get a mechanic to look it over first, or waht??
0 Replies

notsurewhattodo

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:55 pm
also my friend IS THE HEAD MECHANIC, he has too look over all vehicles before they sell them, in fact he hasnt looked at this one, and he said eh wants to before i buy it, so what the best approach
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:28 pm
I say run quickly in the other direction. You're talking about a domestic vehicle that's been used 20,000 miles a year. Too much money. You'll get thousands of replies saying; "get the pontiac, its a great car." but the fact is, those cookie-cutter front drive GMs are terrible vehicles. Pathetic in crash tests, horrible fit and finish, and you've already experienced the wonders of the quad 4.

I sound like a hypocrite since I've owned two GMs just like it, but I'm a mechanic and I can keep them breathing. I used to train sales people for several car companies, and in the corporate car world we call them "razors." You use them until they aren't working, then you trash them.

Apocalyptic, no? Smile

Spend your money on something that will last more than 80k miles. Toyota Tercel, Honda Civic, or anything with more quality than a pack of gum.

I am not brand loyal, I'm just very experienced in the consumer car business, so take it or leave it. Just for the sake of comparison, 350k miles is pretty normal for BMW, 250-300k is pretty average for Honda and Toyota. You might save a few bucks buying a front drive GM, but you'll end up paying much more in repairs than if you bought a $3000 tercel.... which by the way... do some research on NADA or KBB about a 1998 Tercel with modest options, and enter 60k miles. I'll bet it comes up under $5000. Find one in the paper and get a loan.
0 Replies