Before You Think of Boarding the QEII, Read this!

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 08:09 am
Quote:
Health Inspectors Find Roaches Aboard QE2
Thu Jan 16,12:21 PM ET

MIAMI (Reuters) - U.S. health inspectors found cockroaches and other sanitary shortcomings aboard the Queen Elizabeth 2 and have given the celebrated cruise ship a failing grade for overall sanitation.

Carrying out a routine examination unrelated to the outbreaks of stomach flu and other gastrointestinal illnesses that have dogged cruise ships, the inspectors said in a recently published report they also found mold, poor food-service practices and shabby kitchen equipment aboard the flagship of the Cunard Line.

"Several nymph and adult cockroaches were observed crawling on the deck beneath the equipment locker ... in the Princess Britannia kitchen," the U.S. Centers for Disease Control inspectors said.

The inspectors, writing in a report on their Jan. 3 visit to the 34-year-old ship stopped in nearby Fort Lauderdale, also said they found mold or mold residue in ice makers in a pantry and in two shipboard bars.

Other shortcomings on the 1,504-passenger QE2 that yielded a very rare failing grade of 85 on a 100-point scale were corrosion and holes in older stoves, heavily damaged serving trays and improperly operating dishwashing machines.

The inspectors also found standing water near ventilation system outlets blamed on rotted equipment, faulty storage of butter and uncooked meat and vegetables, and unsanitary handling of flatware.

For the last few years, cruising has become a popular middle class vacation activity.The recent outbreaks of intestinal flus of unrelated ships, has given me reason to rethink cruising as an option, And now this! My girlfriend came back from a cruise on one of the Celebrity ships last week. She had been sick as a dog, as were a number of other passengers.

What is your "take" on this? Has the economy, causing the cruise lines to offer bargain fares, become slipshod in their maintenance of the ships? Or do you think that thaere might be some less benign reason for the rash of illnesses on cruise ships lately?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,649 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 08:36 am
Re: Before You Think of Boarding the QEII, Read this!
Phoenix32890 wrote:
For the last few years, cruising has become a popular middle class vacation activity.

"Cheap clothes make cheap people." (Thorstein Veblen, Theory of the Leisure Class)

This, or similar that might have been or still be the thoughts of some shipping company's managers.
0 Replies

dable

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 12:07 pm
I would never step foot on a cruise ship even before this current rash of illness. I thought I read somewhere that the illness might be due to the central location where many cruise ships drop off sewerage. I guess that all these cruise ships that had problems where all going to the same sewerage disposal area.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:17 am
If one counts the number of people that go on cruises every year against the number that gets sick from any cause, it's still a very safe way to travel. I've been on six cruises, and will not be stopped by any fear of the Newton virus. c.i.
0 Replies

dable

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 12:16 pm
Make that sewage, where did I learn to spell?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 12:43 am
Hmm, as an ex bacteriologist, I wonder about the routes for infection. I don't know enough about what the "bug" is, whether it is the usual food (etc) borne pathogen, or something from the vessel's airconditoning ducts (listeria, outbreaks of in the past) or what...

there does seen to be a pattern, but I haven't paid enough attention to see it.

I too am not a cruise taker, but I some of my good friends are, and love them...usually.

They should be ship shape...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 12:45 am
Anybody know what the pathogens are? Salmonella, shigella, the pathogenic e coli, listeria, other?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 12:47 am
Oops, I should have read the original post. Pathogens don't seem to be the problemo on the QE II.
0 Replies

MPOster

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 11:06 am
Sickness ?? Cockroaches ??
OK People, I have been on 8 cruises-- from Cunard to Royal Caribbeanand even Carnival These stories are like the Bad Car Mechanic stories...everyone seems to have one. I have NEVER been sick nor have I seen anyone get sick other than drinking too many RUM mixers. Cruising is the coolest way to go and not to mention the least expensive vacation right now http://www.primetravels.com/images/cruises-celebrity.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 12:01 pm
MPO, Welcome to A2K. I did a Celebrity cruise to South America two years ago from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. I paid double the single rate, but next time I'm gonna invite somebody to join me if they pay their own airfare.
0 Replies