Verb-Subject in English

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 12:07 am
Would it be grammatically correct in any situation to put your verb in a sentence before you subject, separated with a hyphen? For example: "Do you need more practice on the test" would turn into "Need-you more practice on the test?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 338 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 05:16 am
@ClassiCorey,
No, this would not be grammatically correct. It makes no sense.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 09:55 am
@ClassiCorey,
Unlike in French, where a question can be formed by inverting pronoun as subject and verb and inserting a hyphen, in modern English, inversion of the main verb and subject has been replaced by inverting the auxiliary verb (to be /to have/to do) with the subject, and adding the main verb in participle form.

E.G.
Are you singing ? ENGLISH = Chantez-vous ? FRENCH

In older English, inversions of main verb and subject were acceptable as in... 'Think you much of your wife? ....but without the need of a hyphen as far as I know. But note that sentences like ...'Come you down' ...were not necessarily questions. Without the question mark this is an imperative.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 01:06 am
@ClassiCorey,
On reflection, the sentence...'Need we go to all this trouble ?'...is quite acceptable in current British English.
(no hyphen...'need' acting as auxiliary to main verb 'to go')
0 Replies