Why not just take a gap year before college?

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:02 pm
I was just on a forum about redshirting(aka delaying a child's entrance to Kindergarten by a year). I noticed that several of the parents said they redshirted because they didn't their child going off to college at 17. In that case, why not just have them take a gap year? I also noticed that a lot of the parents who regretted not redshirting regretted it mainly because their child went to college at 17. Why didn't it occur to these parents that their child could have just taken a gap year? Who says they have to go straight college? Most of my friends didn't, and I wish I hadn't either. Why are so many people of the mentality that if you start Kindergarten at 4, you have to start college at 17.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,371 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:19 pm
@prpinrni,
Prp the gap doesn't come recommended
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:28 pm
@dalehileman,
"Gap year" sounded funny to me! After high school, I wasted two years in Chicago at menial jobs (typing jobs), then volunteered into the USAF for four years. The air force assigned me to work with nukes, and that built up my confidence that I couldn't be that dumb. So after my military service, I eventually earned my bachelor's degree in Accounting. That was the best decision I ever made.
I now believe that many of us do not mature at the same age, and make decisions that impact our lives in different ways - even when the individual has much potential. That's the reason why I'm against standardized testing by age.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:28 pm
@prpinrni,
What would the 17 year old do for that gap year? It would be tough to get a job for just one year unless you were to lie and say you were looking for a permanent job. Also what if it were difficult to get a job...would the 17 year old just be sitting around at home?

I have also seen from those kids that did not start college right after high school..many ended up not going at all. I know this isn't true of all, but those that I know within my family that delayed it...Ended up not going.

I also wonder is it more difficult to get into a college of your choice if you delay?

Just guesses as to why you do not see this often.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:32 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks Cis, Link. See there, Prp
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:35 pm
@prpinrni,
Out here in California, Kindergarten starts at 5 years of age and even then parents wait another year if the kid is not ready. There is no rush to enter Kindergarten, none at all.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:38 pm
@prpinrni,
I think it's a good idea.

People tend to do better when they go to university or college after a year or two or more off, being responsible for themselves. It doesn't work so well if they're continuing to depend on their parents. Those kids just have a bad time all round.

The Brit and European systems work well. I think it's why their students tend to academically blast North Americans when/if they join our university system a few years in.

__

A separate issue is the assumption that college/university should be the target for everyone. Being good in school shouldn't automatically mean that someone should continue in school . They might do better in the long run by working, apprenticing etc. There is still good (sometimes superb) money in the trades.
prpinrni

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:39 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yeah, but some parents only do it because they don't want their kid to enter college at 17, no other reason. In that case, it seems more practical just to take a gap year after high school.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:40 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes - better results seem to be showing up when school-starting is delayed. I'm glad to see more school boards going that way.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 02:33 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree with you. Germany has the right idea about apprenticeships.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 03:13 pm
@prpinrni,
Why would anyone care if their child was six months younger than other students? Did anyone in that thread address that? We had a student in class with us who was three years younger than everyone else. That was an issue. A 17 year old senior did not fit in with 20 year olds. I don't see the same issue with 17 1/2 vs 18.
engineer

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 03:33 pm
@engineer,
My son was the second youngest in his class. He was four for the first month of kindergarten. He just graduated college and I never felt he was at a disadvantage because he was a few months younger than the average. I'm not sure why parents feel there is an advantage to being older unless it is in sports.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 04:05 pm
@engineer,
You know, it always boils down to the kid itself and if they're mature enough or not. Mine looked at 5 years of age still like a toddler and it was the school that actually has a cut off day - which was September 1. Mine would have been 5 on September 18, but they still wouldn't take her, so we waited another year and I was glad we did.
0 Replies