Baseboard Heater Wiring Help

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 02:56 pm
I recently moved into a house and noticed two of the heaters in the recently finished basement were not working. They are 240 volt electric baseboard heaters. On the circuit, there is 1 thermostat operating 2 heaters (1 works/1 doesn't), then there is another thermostat operating another heater which doesn't work. The thermostats are Honeywell RLV450 digital. This is my best description of the current setup:

Thermostats have two wires, top wire is "Wire 1", bottom is "Wire 2". Wires are a red and a black. Heater 1 and Heater 2 operated from Thermostat 1. Heater 3 is operated from Thermostat 2.

All wires go to Junction Box 1. There all four red wires are tied to together with marrette. Black wire from panel box and red wire to Heater 1 are tied together with Wire 1 for Thermostat 1.

Tied to Wire 2 of Thermostat 1 is black wire for Heater 2, and another black wire heading out to a Junction Box 2. So one Heater works, not sure if it is 1 or 2, can't follow wires beyond wall.

At Junction Box 2, incoming black is tied to Wire 1 of Thermostat 2. Wire 2 of Thermostat 2 is tied to the black wire that goes to the heater. This Thermostat is blank, but periodically cycles through the displays.
I'm thinking one of the two options:

1) At Junction Box 1, black supply should go to Thermostat 1/Wire 1. Then remaining three black wires are tied together with Thermostat 1/Wire 2.

or

2) At Junction Box 1, black supply and black wire to Junction Box 2 are tied together with Thermostat 1/Wire 1. Then black for Heater 1 and 2 are tied together with Thermostat 1/Wire 2.

No changes at Junction Box 2 for either.

I have a diagram, but figure out how to post. Hoping above makes sense.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 887 • Replies: 0
No top replies