Dry enough to dazzle a visitor with a classical quotation or fry him in the heavy oil of silence?

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 01:17 am
Does "Dry enough to dazzle a visitor with a classical quotation or fry him in the heavy oil of silence" mean "even though a classical quotation is dry enough, but it can make a visitor happy; silence is not bad, but it can torture a visitor like put him in the heavy oil"?

Context:

Dry enough to dazzle a visitor with a classical quotation or fry him in the heavy oil of silence.

(No more context available)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 449 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 01:27 am
@oristarA,
That's one sentence from Terrill, Ross, Mao: A Biography, Stanford University Press, 2000

To show the context (copied/pasted from google books):
Quote:
http://i66.tinypic.com/25tukjt.jpg

oristarA

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 01:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Good job.
Thanks.

Would any one like to answer what is "in focus":
Quote:
Always the same was the sense of a man in focus

Does it mean "he's a man who has the sense of being a man in the center of people's attention"?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 04:06 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Does it mean "he's a man who has the sense of being a man in the center of people's attention"?

I think it means he's a man who is always focussed ('focused' is US spelling) on whatever activity he is engaged in.
oristarA

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 07:02 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:

I think it means he's a man who is always focussed ('focused' is US spelling) on whatever activity he is engaged in.

Thanks.
Does "who is always focussed" mean "who is always the center of people's attention"?
FBM

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 07:06 am
@oristarA,
No, that would be "focus(s)ed on." To be focus(s)ed is to have one's mind strongly and clearly concentrated on whatever is going on.
0 Replies