PALEO COOKING?

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 06:11 pm
I was looking through Pinterest and was looking at the "paleo" dishes, . What is this and an why have I missed it? Is there a tasty yet decent paleo dish that doesnt involve road kill?
Im listening
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,603 • Replies: 12
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 06:16 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not absolutely sure, but some people are very enthusiastic about a diet from the Stone Age when the average lifespan was 26?? Sounds great, sign me up.
farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 06:21 pm
@glitterbag,
but they left such healthy looking corpses
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 06:27 pm
@farmerman,
I find that a lot of recipes from the old Diet for a Small Planet days work well when people are looking for paleo recipes, though they occasionally use some odd (IMNSHO) substitutes that I think are just some kind of money-grab. Coconut amino or something like that?
farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 06:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I never heard of any kitchen middens with veggie remains, it was always big mounds of bones (no BBQ sauce either)
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 07:07 pm
I looked at it once. Some guy was examining the veggie/meat ratio of chimpanzee diets and concluding that people need to increase their veggie intake to get closer to a natural human diet.

Human jaw bones won't do what chimpanzee ones do, so the solution is to use a blender. Very natural.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 08:14 pm
This is turning out to be a tome, but I'll add it anyway. You can read it or not, and I'll stay listening to learn about Paleo.

I'm not much of a diet person, slowly settling down long term into the normal range about ten years ago through exercise and moderation. That was easier when I lived near waterfronts, but now it's all stabilized even here in the upper desert. Never have done diets of any sort, so I haven't actually chased down what paleo is all about. I have gotten some wafts of an idea it is about various present day foods being verboten, such as dairy, since our ancestors didn't drink/eat it. I've read medical lit and news for what seems like forever, so I generally try to eat nutritious food but not in a crazed way.

I probably got healthier after I got less interested in sweet goods back in the late eighties, though not eliminating them. In my lifetime, some chocolate turned out to be a good thing. Various foods were demonized and gradually brought back to some good regard eaten in moderation. Seems almost a cyclical thing, so I attend a lot of that with a sense of humor. I've spent years now avoiding internet promotional ads warning me about bananas. I refuse to click on that one.

I'm not very food superstitious, but I like to get my vitamins and minerals as necessary, and do that from foods, even some bubbly mineral water. I don't have gut/gerd problems, knock on wood, speaking of superstition, but greens and other things have them too. I did superstitiously teach myself to tolerate yogurt for the probiotics, then it was goodbye burps. I still drink alcohol, but in greater moderation. I don't have time, what with the yogurt smoothies and the fizzy water with lemon, and coffee and sometimes tea. I still like meat and fish. Meat is expensive for me but I have fun with it sometimes, spareribs, chicken, slow cooked pork, once in a few months some bacon. I love good beef but a good steak reams my wallet. Fish is not good in my immediately local markets, so there goes that except that I sometimes make potato fishcakes from canned mackerel.

Let's see - I don't buy much packaged or jarred or tinned foods, though some, thus am missing some questionable additives. I cook most of my own food, including breads, and don't eat out all that often. If I do, I eat whatever the hell sounds good on the menu, especially if it's a good place. A friend and I love the burgers at Indigo Crow. It's really good meat and they'll cook it rare if you like it that way. Good wine list too.

Ok, off to read about paleology. I made that up, is it a real word?
farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:59 pm
@ossobuco,
well, theres a lot in youre post. I think what the Paleo boys have been touting is primarily marketing based based upon the misuse of an adjective. However, that aside,a "PAleo diet" seems to be down to a few eating principles and moderation is one (THAT IS DEFINITELY NOT A PALEO THINGY). Hominins and our ancestors would gorge in bulk when they could and would starve when they had to. Grains were eaten pretty much without cooking till Mousterian doo doo fossils showed a certain amount of grain husk and pollen . SO omnivory was not uncommon.

I like to eat ripening grain strait from the field qwhenever I walk through my fields in july.

Maize, was a New World crop that comes from the Andes and MEsoAmerica so it took some time to develop a culture (definitely NON paleo)

0 Replies

ekename

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:16 pm
@farmerman,
The same precepts apply to cooking today as they did at the start of the lower paleolithic era 3.3mA.

Sharp knives and the freshest produce are an imperative.

Given that the control of fire is estimated to have happened around 1mA you can't go wrong with carpaccio washed down with lashings of fermented fruit at your next gathering whether it's a neighbourhood celebration or a nearest and dearest occasion.

Or how about inviting friends over after a particularly propitious lightning strike?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 03:25 am
I'm not interested, thanks. I'd say the lack of vegetable remains in middens is due to the fact that many vegetable and fruit foods can be eaten entirely, just as gathered. Most estimates of how varied a diet was are dependent on pollen residues and fibrous materials, 'cause them suckers ate just about everything they could choke down.

Insects and termite grubs? I'll pass . . .
farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 05:40 am
@Setanta,
yeh probably true. So the Paleo recipe boys oughta get more scorpion in their diets.

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 05:43 am
@ekename,
fire is one of those doubtful tools, the control of which really cant be dated by the first coupla evidences. Theres a really wide "Window" of when it first had been used to when it became a TOOL.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 06:00 am
@farmerman,
Either that or stop trying to bullsh*t us .
0 Replies