Affluenza Teen captured in Mexico

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 09:59 pm
http://www.chron.com/news/nation-world/article/Reports-Affluenza-teen-detained-in-Mexico-6724830.php
Ethan Couch, the wealthy Fort Worth teen whose lawyers blamed "affluenza" for a drunken driving crash in which he killed four people, is no longer a fugitive, according to reports.
CNN and other media outlets reported Monday night that 18-year-old Couch and his mother, Tonya, have been detained in Mexico, and will be turned over to U.S. marshals. Couch was on 10-year probation for the 2013 crash.
Mexican authorities detained Couch and his mother near the popular Mexican beach resort town of Puerto Vallarta, according to CNN.
The teen disappeared weeks ago after a video surfaced showing he may have violated his probation. In the video, he appeared to be with friends playing beer pong.
Check back later for more updates in this developing report.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,355 • Replies: 31

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Vallarta! I should have guessed..
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Dear God, his defense is that his parents indulged him?? But he can't even deal with probation? His parents should hang their heads in shame.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:51 pm
The whole family should be locked up.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh my God, Yes.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 11:03 pm
The father has been cooperating..

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-affluenza-idUSKBN0UC07420151229
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 05:16 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

The father has been cooperating..

Looks like a case of too little too late.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:08 am
I saw an interview with this guy's mother when this case was pretty new. She was asked when was the last time she had disciplined her son in any way. Her answer was "Uh....I can't remember."

Sometimes the criminal justice system doesn't even try to pretend to be just.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:31 am
@snood,
Ugh.

This is more than a matter of affluence though, though yes, spoiled and financially privileged can go together like a horse and carriage. It doesn't always coincide with poor parenting behavior. This one sounds like a lineage of poor parenting behavior over time, a kind of idiocy.

snood

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:42 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Ugh.

This is more than a matter of affluence though, though yes, spoiled and financially privileged can go together like a horse and carriage. It doesn't always coincide with poor parenting behavior. This one sounds like a lineage of poor parenting behavior over time, a kind of idiocy.

I agree that financial privilege doesn't necessarily coincide with poor parenting. There are probably excellent parents who happen to also be rich.

But if you think about it, when the justice system let this guy kill 4 people with his vehicle and get away with just probation, they were sort of saying that his financial privilege automatically made him unable to gauge the consequences of his actions. In other words, they were saying financial privilege equated to a lack of discipline and accountability. - as if rich parents cant instill those.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:09 am
I understand bad parents and spoiled children, but the judge should've been tarred and feathered.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:07 am
@snood,
Yes, true, re your comment.

It also makes me think those parents should have been made to have counselling once the authorities were aware of the horrendous crash, back when he was sixteen and essentially let off the hook via only probation. Tricky, as it's not always a parent's laxity that is at fault as a cause, but at least I see reason for some lengthy interviews being compulsory, if not long time counselling.

Not my field, but opinion re spreading a bit of blame re the whys. I do get the idea of parental rights, but am wondering if they were pushed to take some counselling. I also don't know anything about what he has been up to in the meantime.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:12 am
@ossobuco,
I edited now, in case you already read my latest post.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:06 pm
'Affluenza' teen who killed 4 people and fled to Mexico faces shockingly light punishment
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/12/29/1464528/--Affluenza-teen-who-killed-4-people-and-fled-to-Mexico-faces-shockingly-light-punishment?detail=facebook
snood

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Damn, this guy is really getting the kid gloves treatment - again.

"As of now, the most severe punishment Couch could face is 120 days in adult jail, Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson said at a press conference Tuesday. "
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:16 pm
@snood,
The legal system in our country stinks. There is no such thing as 'equal protection under the law.'
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good grief.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:33 pm
Here's a little more detail on his consequences. It appears he could get some real jail time, after all. But only if he messes up the second chance at a 10 year probation that they'll likely offer after 120 days in jail.

It also appears that his dear old mom might get some kind of punishment for her role in helping him evade law enforcement.

Anderson said an arrest warrant was being issued for Couch's mother, Tonya Couch, on charges of hindering an apprehension, a third-degree felony that carries a sentence of two to 10 years in jail. Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson said that at a hearing next month she plans to ask a judge to transfer Ethan Couch's case to adult court.

Couch would then face up to 120 days in an adult jail, followed by 10-year probation. If he violates probation, he could face up to 10 years in jail per death, said Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson.

If the judge declines to transfer Couch to adult court, Wilson will ask that his probation be revoked, in which case he could be held in a juvenile facility until his sentence expires when he turns 19 next April.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/sns-bc-us--deadly-wreck-affluenza-20151229-story.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:35 pm
@snood,
Good to see that the mom can serve some jail time too!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
Jalisco state prosecutor Eduardo Almaguer Ramirez said U.S. authorities knew the mother and son were in Puerto Vallarta because of a phone call to Domino’s Pizza, The Associated Press reported.

A U.S. Marshals Service agent tipped authorities in Mexico to the location of the phone on Monday, according to a police report issued by Almaguer’s office. The phone had been used to order pizza for a room at a condominium complex called Los Tules near the beach.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article52248345.html#storylink=cpy

Snort! They were in Mexico and ordered Domino's Pizza? goofy.

In case anyone notices, the post first landed in another thread and I quickly deleted it and put it here where it belongs.