SPOILERS: The Star Wars VII Discussion thread. (with spoilers)

rosborne979

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 11:20 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
There has been speculation that Han Solo did have some larger connection to the force. Something that even alluded himself.

Is that why he shot that storm trooper without looking? I thought that scene seemed very out of place.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 12:52 pm
@rosborne979,
That particular shot is basically Han Solo being Han Solo. Very cocky yet still capable in backing up his cockiness.

The rumors about his force connection come from geeks who supposedly read the books. I haven't. Twas just dropping some hearsay into the conversation.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 06:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
That particular shot is basically Han Solo being Han Solo. Very cocky yet still capable in backing up his cockiness.

Hmmm, ok. I guess I just didn't buy it. It looked very out of place to me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 08:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
The 3D aspect was just meh.

There are two kinds of movie 3D. Some movies film in 2D, and then after filming go back and create a sort of fake 3D by assigning a certain depth to each part of the image. Just out of practicality they can only provide a finite number of layers to each 3D scene, so the 3D effect is somewhat limited.

Other movies film with 3D cameras, and every single point on the screen is recorded in its precise 3D location, with effectively infinite layers of 3D in every scene.

The latter results in much more pleasing 3D.

This website lists which 3D movies are made with which technique:
http://realorfake3d.com/
jespah

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 07:58 am
@oralloy,
But seriously, this was a massively expensive film to make. Why didn't they go all out with the 3D?
Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 02:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've read many of the Star Wars books, and there is never a mention of Han being force sensitive.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 03:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I thought it was Daniel Craig who broke his leg during the most recent James Bond movie? Did HF also break his leg?

{Edit: It WAS Craig that broke his leg in James Bond redo. HF broke his ankle in this movie:
"While filming in summer 2014, Harrison Ford broke his ankle on the door of the Millennium Falcon. About a year later, J.J. Abrams revealed that he hurt his back while trying to help get Ford out from under the door.}
Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 03:31 pm
@Ragman,
As a side note, Daniel Craig has a voice over in Star Wars Ep. 7.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 08:18 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
But seriously, this was a massively expensive film to make. Why didn't they go all out with the 3D?

Probably for the same reason they filmed only a single sequence out of the entire movie in 70MM IMAX.

Christopher Nolan filmed 66 minutes of Interstellar in 70MM IMAX, and 72 minutes of Dark Knight Rises.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 08:13 pm
@oralloy,
In short time, Disney will be getting its $4 billion investment back like gangbusters. This box office news was expected even before the film's release.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens overtakes Avatar as the highest grossing movie in US history
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 08:18 pm
Star Wars: The Force Awakens took just 20 days to pass Avatar as the highest grossing movie ever in North America. It took Avatar over 250 days to reach this point. Worldwide it is projected to reach #2 behind Avatar. Why did so many people like Avatar???

Carry on Cool
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 11:24 pm
The light sabre duel at the end was nonsense. It wasn't her lack of size that bothered me. (After all, Master Yoda himself was a proud member of the 2'2" club.) It was her lack of any kind of experience or training. The verisimilitude was not strong with this one.

All I can say is that after this kind of rip-roaring, sabre-rattling start she had better turn out to be the best Jedi in history.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:28 am
@Kolyo,
I think they're (the filmmakers) are hinting that Rey is pretty powerful. Perhaps one of the most powerful characters to wield the force. That even now, her successes are just based on raw channeling of the force. That she'll get even more powerful when trained.

I think the same can be said about Rylo Ken. He has so much raw emotion getting in the way of his training, that with discipline that will come in the next episode, he will become an insane dark side badass that will rival Rey.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:40 am
@Kolyo,
The beginning of the movie showed she is capable with a quarterstaff so it's not too far a reach, and her opponent is not exactly a master Sith lord at this point. As to her being the greatest Jedi ever, the entire series has always stated that the Force is in balance. The rise of the Dark side will have to produce a reaction force. The strength of the Jedi council caused the rise of Palpatine/Vader, the rise of Vader produced Luke, etc. The real villain in Star Wars is the Force which will always fight to bring about a dark counter to the light. It could be that the Force was just stacking the light sabre battle to make sure that Luke gets back into the game.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:27 am
There is a new theory I've been reading about that Rey is Obi-wan's grand daughter. Small things like the English accent. Only Obi-Wan (both actors) spoke with an English accent and her power with the force. Her flash backs with Luke's light saber could also be a result of this.

I love good theories...
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 12:46 pm
@McGentrix,
The Force Awakens meets Calvin and Hobbes, hearts melt
http://i63.tinypic.com/21aiu6w.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 01:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://i66.tinypic.com/10p3kso.jpg
John Boyega is the breakout star of this set of Getty stock photos
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 11:01 pm
@McGentrix,
The light saber fighting was copied from Japanese kendo.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 01:00 pm
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2016 04:58 pm

For what it's worth, Team Negative 1 has released their first scan of a 35MM print of the original 1977 Star Wars (Han shot first and all that).

I don't know if I'll have it all downloaded before my computer dies or not. But if I make it, I'll report back how it compares to the works from Harmy and Team Blu.